Cosmos Cosmos discussion

Cosmos

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Marr For my Astronomy class that I took this semester, we were required to read the novel Cosmos by Carl Sagan. Cosmos is a popular science book and is intended to explore and complement the development of science and civilization. Although this novel was not my personal choice, we did not get to finish it in class. Since I was so fascinated with the context and the passion that Sagan contributed in the book, I decided to finish it on my own. Mr. Smothers informed my class that since this book was published in the 1980's, some of the information and facts that Sagan proclaims may be incorrect. However, Mr. Smothers wasn't necessarily worried about the specific context in the book, but instead wanted us to sense the passion that Sagan had for astronomy. Sagan's enthusiasm and genuine enjoyment for the subject made the novel ten times more interesting to read. He includes personal stories and discoveries that lead him to becoming to fascinated with Astronomy and inspires readers to have the same kind of passion for the things that they love. I recommend this book to anyone that is interested in knowing something about space because it is a great passionate introduction to astronomy.

Greg Simpson “Cosmos,” by Carl Sagan, is not a novel. It’s a nonfiction book on astronomy and the history of science. His book “Contact,” however, is a novel. Maybe that’s what you are thinking of.