YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Ruthless Magic (Conspiracy of Magic, #1)
This topic is about Ruthless Magic
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Ruthless Magic (Conspiracy of Magic #1) by Megan Crewe - May 14th 2018

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments In the contest to keep their magic, the only options may be die... or kill.

Each year, the North American Confederation of Mages assesses every sixteen-year-old novice. Some will be chosen. The rest must undergo a procedure to destroy their magical ability unless they prove themselves in the mysterious and brutal Mages' Exam.

Disadvantaged by her parents' low standing, Rocío Lopez has dedicated herself to expanding her considerable talent to earn a place in the Confederation. Their rejection leaves her reeling—and determined to fight to keep her magic.

Long ashamed of his mediocre abilities, Finn Lockwood knows the Confederation accepted him only because of his prominent family. Declaring for the Exam instead means a chance to confirm his true worth.

Thrown into the testing with little preparation, Rocío and Finn find themselves becoming unlikely allies—and possibly more. But the Exam holds secrets more horrifying than either could have imagined. What are the examiners really testing them for? And as the trials become increasingly vicious, how much are they willing to sacrifice to win?

The first in a new series by USA Today bestselling author Megan Crewe, Ruthless Magic combines the magic of Harry Potter with the ferocity of The Hunger Games alongside a poignant romance. Fans of Cassandra Clare and Holly Black, look no further for your next urban fantasy fix!

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments I'm going to start this in the car. Hope it's a better format then Shadow of The Fox by Julie Kagawa was. Hate that kind.

Also was I the only one because of how the email was formatted that initially thought this was written by Holly Black?

message 3: by Carrie (last edited May 14, 2018 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "I'm going to start this in the car. Hope it's a better format then Shadow of The Fox by Julie Kagawa was. Hate that kind.

Also was I the only one because of how the email was formatted that i..."

Yeah, I think that was what actually got me to look at it closer then noticed it was a different author but by that time I was curious so I clicked.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments I'm surpised that they started with Finn's POV. I was expecting Rocio first.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments Carrie wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "I'm going to start this in the car. Hope it's a better format then Shadow of The Fox by Julie Kagawa was. Hate that kind.

Also was I the only one because of how the email wa..."

Same. I was very surprised to see it was another author but I'm happy with it so far. The format is especially pleasing to me since I don't have to squint. ^-^

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Did you see the free prequel novella for signing up to her newsletter? Can't find a page count on it though to see if we could read that and count it too.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments Carrie wrote: "Did you see the free prequel novella for signing up to her newsletter? Can't find a page count on it though to see if we could read that and count it too."

I did but where do you sign up?

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments NM. Figured it out. :P

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments My epub format says 127 pages.

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Do you want to read both then? I haven't started and wondering if I should start with that instead since it was published first and a prequel.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments I usually read the first book first and yes I want to read it. :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments Changed the thread to series and I'll change my post in the may BR thread. :)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Magic Unmasked 10% (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Magic Unmasked 19% (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Magic Unmasked 30% (view spoiler)

message 16: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Where can I get the prequel?

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments Her site

message 18: by Carrie (last edited May 14, 2018 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Magic Unmasked Finished (view spoiler)

message 19: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments @bookbuyer where did you find the page count for Magic Unmasked? So I could claim it for the challenge.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments Amanda wrote: "@bookbuyer where did you find the page count for Magic Unmasked? So I could claim it for the challenge."

I found it on my device. I have the epub format.

message 21: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Magic Unmasked chapters 1-4 (view spoiler)

message 22: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments @Carrie, are you a goodreads librarian?

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments Amanda wrote: "@Carrie, are you a goodreads librarian?"

Sarah is. :)

message 24: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Magic Unmasked end of chapter 8(view spoiler)

message 25: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Magic Unmasked end of 13(view spoiler)

message 26: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Magic Unmasked end (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Amanda wrote: "@Carrie, are you a goodreads librarian?"

Sometimes I wish I were. LOL

I did drop Sarah a note and she said we are fine using the 127 though. :)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Amanda wrote: "Magic Unmasked end [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22839 comments Carrie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "@Carrie, are you a goodreads librarian?"

Sometimes I wish I were. LOL

I did drop Sarah a note and she said we are fine using the 127 though. :)"

YAY! :D

message 30: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Ruthless magic end of chapter 1(view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Amanda wrote: "Ruthless magic end of chapter 1[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ruthless Magic End of Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ruthless Magic End of Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

message 34: by Carrie (last edited May 15, 2018 09:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ruthless Magic End of Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ruthless Magic End (view spoiler)

message 36: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Ruthless magic end of chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Ruthless magic end of chapter 6 (view spoiler)

message 38: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of chapter 7 (view spoiler)

message 39: by Amanda (last edited May 17, 2018 11:57PM) (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 13(view spoiler)

message 40: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments End of 18(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.