Play Book Tag discussion

Favorite Daughter, Part One
This topic is about Favorite Daughter, Part One
May 2018: Family Drama > Favorite Daughter, Part One by Paula Margulies - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments This historical novel tells though first person narrative the story of a young Pocahontas and her tribe as they try to decide whether or not they should help the white settlers who are struggling to adapt to the new world. Her uncle doesn't think they should and when they capture John Smith he believes they should kill him. Pocahontas on the other hand quickly forms a friendship with him tries to convince her father he deserves to be spared. It was clear the author did plenty of research on the language and customs which I really appreciate and I liked the wide range of characters and the way it described what her day to day life would have been like. I guess my only complaint is when it came to her feelings for Smith the whole thing felt a bit jumbled and confused and just plain strange but overall it was a nice enjoyable quick read.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Interesting. Pocahontas is a historical figure I would like to know more about. I feel like she is a staple for elementary school biographies and captured the attention of Walt Disney Studios, but I now look back on those and realize how inaccurate and "white washed" those stories are.

Magdalena | 414 comments Pocahontas is a fascinating historical figure that when I really think about it I find I don't know that much about so I was exited about reading this and I think it did help me get a deeper sense of what happened. Of course this was only part one, part two hasn't been written yet.