Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > SPOILER THREAD May 14th

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments The 2 characters that threw me for a loop were Pam in A Million Little Things and Lucas in Sisters Like Us.

I loved Pam in The Girls of Mischief Bay. I kind of identified with her and loved that she was in her 50s and was so together. I didn't even mind that SM killed John off (who I loved), cause I figured that meant she had an older woman falling in love plot line in store in one of the future books. But when she went all crazy on Zoe and Steven I completely lost respect for her. She was downright mean to Zoe and definitely crossed the line with Steven. She just wasn't portrayed that way in the first book. And I didn't buy the whole "mama bear" rationalization either. There was absolutely no justification for the downright nasty things she said to Zoe. I maybe could have dealt with her thinking those things but to say that to a person that you were supposed to care about as a friend was just wrong. And as I finished the book I thought to myself that the whole family dynamic will be forever broken because of her hurtful words. The whole situation left me with a bad taste. It was especially hard after loving her character so much in the first book and wanting her to find love again. I also didn't see how she and Miguel could ever find happiness after she was so awful to his daughter. Their whole relationship was totally unbelievable to me. Made no sense. SM would have done better, IMHO, concentrating on her trying to find love again with Miguel than putting the emphasis on her butting into Zoe and Steven's relationship.

Then the same thing with Lucas. I loved him from the very first time he was introduced in AMLT. I thought he was funny, smart, charming but most of all honorable. I fell more in love with him as he fell for Harper in SLU and became her daughter's surrogate dad. The Lucas I got to know would never have driven up to Harper's house with a new flavor of the month after promising her he would never do that to her. He may have told her he wasn't ready for anything serious and broken things off - sort of running scared. And maybe even went out with another barely legal girl trying to figure things out. But he wouldn't have driven up to her house and rubbed her nose in it. That whole chapter made me so sad. I thought it was very badly done and not in character at all. And I blame SM!! She took the easy way out instead of following what her character would have done.

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Irisheyes wrote: "The 2 characters that threw me for a loop were Pam in A Million Little Things and Lucas in Sisters Like Us.

I loved Pam in The Girls of Mischief Bay. I kind of identified with her and loved that s..."

I love spoilers so I had to come check it out. The first one seems unnecessary, and like you said would ruin family dynamics.

The second one...anyone who can purposely go out of their way to hurt another, well that to me is unforgivable. I would never have been able to "hero" him after that. Sure, I get people move on after breakups, but that's just nasty.

Sorry, I had to put my two cents in. I don't think I've read much if anything from this author.

message 3: by Irisheyes (last edited May 14, 2018 05:48PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I didn't mean to turn you off Susan Mallery, Stacey. She is good. She's just hit or miss for me. And I really, really liked most of the storylines in her Mischief Bay series. None of the guys are jerks, except the ones that are supposed to be (ex husbands and ex boyfriends). LOL In fact she has a couple of really lovely beta heroes in this series. The character that almost everyone is complaining about is the mom, Bunny, from SISTER LIKE US. She's a real piece of work. For some reason she didn't bother me that much. I think I just wrote her off cause she was kind of cartoonish.

I'll stop complaining now. Hahaha
It's probably a mark of how good she is that she got me to care so much about these characters. It's like I'm taking it personally that she performed some type of bait and switch on me. LOL

message 4: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I had more problems with Pam than with Lucas, Irish. His admittedly stupid move I could deplore but still see as motivated by his fears--and let's face it, Mallery loves creating heroes who are terrified of commitment. But Pam's actions seemed totally out of character. They would have been bad enough if Zoe had been just some girl with whom Steven fell in love, but it is ten times worse since she knows Zoe. Even with my frustration over Pam, I loved the book overall.

message 5: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Which book would you recommend reading first?
I'm keen to still read some of her books but I am not reading Pam's hahahah

message 6: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Leigh-Ayn wrote: "Which book would you recommend reading first?
I'm keen to still read some of her books but I am not reading Pam's hahahah"

The Fool's Gold series is twenty or so books, but they are divided into subsets that can easily be read without reading the other books. The 2012 set includes Almost Summer (a novella with a yummy British hero) and the Stryker siblings' stories--Summer Days (Rafe), Summer Nights (Shane), All Summer Long (Clay), and another novella, A Fool's Gold Christmas that is their sister Evie's story. The 2013 set includes Just One Kiss, Two of a Kind (Felicia & Gideon--Felicia is my favorite Fool's Gold character), Three Little Words (Manda's fave, Ford), and a novella Christmas on 4th Street (Gideon's brother Boylan is the hero).

message 7: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
Mallery is an autobuy for me but I often get angry at her heroes for walking away. One of my favorite couples of hers is in All Summer Long but—spoiler—Clay does it too. And it’s even more out of character for him.

I might still start with it though.

message 8: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments So, the Irish Catholic guilt settled in last night and I felt the need to come on here and say what was positive about the Mischief Bay series. Hahahaha

I loved all the beta heroes she peppered through the series - Kit, Rob, John, Adam, Jairus, Andrew. I'm not even sure they were all betas, but they were supportive, attentive men in these women's lives and I guess that's not the norm for SM! LOL

I also loved the Gabby, Andrew, Makayla story arc. I liked the way it was handled, the conversations that took place, the misunderstandings that developed and how they were resolved. It felt very real and honest to me. Mixing blended families has to be tough and I thought Andrew's position and statements rang pretty true - he seemed like the typical guy trying to do the right thing but being kind of clueless most of the time. I like that he was flawed but not a jerk. Same with Shannon and Adam's storyline - she does a good job with the whole stepmom thing!

I also loved Lucas' relationship with Becca. I'm a sucker for a tough guy that has a soft spot for a kid in need. I loved everything about Lucas - even his straight forward apology at the end. And even though SM completely tanked on his characterization 3/4 of the way through, I still ended up loving him. (I kind of re-wrote that whole scenario in my head, anyway so it made sense. LOL In my world he broke up with Harper first, then she saw him out to dinner with his flavor of the month and then he comes to his senses and seeks her out to apologize!)