A Killer (Re)Read - The Throne of Glass Series Readalong discussion

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
This topic is about Crown of Midnight
Crown Part 1: Week of 7/28 > We Heart Chaol

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emily (ebritter) | 5 comments Mod
Here’s the thread for you to post all your thoughts about the Captain of the Guard. Love him? Hate him? Lust after him? Tell us why.

Elisabeth (pdcyouthlibrary) | 2 comments Love Chaol for so many reasons!! I love his loyalty. I love how he treats Caelena!! I love how he wants to protect her even though they both know that doesn't happen much. Huge Fan!!

Brenda Chaol is awesome!!!

Shaili (spgirl2) | 4 comments OMG OMG OMG I NEED THE HEIR OF FIRE NOWWWW

Laura | 1 comments I love his dedication and sense of duty to the crown whoch in turns forces him to interact with celaena. The development of their relationship was such a journey and the ending of crown of midnight was heart wrenching.

I do wish these two would speak more openly to each other about the truth but I suppose that would make a much less interesting read :)

I always have a thing for the underdogs, the less swoon worthy and vocally pursuant of the girl.... its a prob

Helen | 8 comments I want to see his face and hear his thoughts when he realises who Celeana is and the implications of sending her to Wendlyn.

Shaili (spgirl2) | 4 comments I really would like to know more of chaol's feeling and his past throughout heir of fire!!
ps TEAM CHAOL

Diane (dianelefencer) | 2 comments I think Chaol is a little weak and indecisive. I don't think is a strong enough match to last long with Caelena.

Safa Syed | 8 comments I love absolutely everything about Chaol! I love how he doesn't always show his feelings but when he does they're so heartfelt and beautiful. I love how he tries to protect Celaena even though she's the assassin. I love how he got all jealous when Celaena was talking to Archer. And I love all the small sweet things he does for Celaena like the amethyst ring he got for her and how he got her chocolate cake when he thought she needed it. I love his golden brown eyes and how well he understands Celaena. And I love how he can joke around with her. <3

elif.sıla.akbulut (goodreadscomangelblue) | 3 comments My heart totally belongs to Chaol!! He is amazing and handsome and cool and you understand what ı mean! He is the owner oof every good adjective for me! LOVE CHAOL!

Sarah (rollswithscrolls) | 4 comments What I love about Chaol is his loyalty to his friends and how he maintains his integrity around the king, the prince, the assassin, and the princess. He is loyal, kind, logical, and very caring and let us not forget attractive. But that aside, when he develops his feelings for Celaena, it makes me so happy that he doesn't just throw aside his friendship with Dorian. He maintains his honor and handles the almost-love triangle with diligence while being very objective. He stays true to his emotions, while not risking or harming any friendships he shares with others. And being able to balance that and still have a good head on his shoulders and a good heart in his chest is very admirable. Team Chaol! <3

Claris Aira Salanga (thewarriormaiden) | 7 comments Had a huge crush on Chaol ever since I've read TOG :D
He is so hot that he caused me to read his scenes with Celaena over and over again :D I mean really, who does not fall for Chaol?

I'm always in Team Chaol :D <3 hart hart <3

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE CHAOL!!!

message 14: by Raghav (last edited Aug 03, 2014 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raghav | 6 comments Wow, so many people on team Chaol...don't hate me but I agree with Diane on this. Its not that I dislike Chaol, I just think that Dorian would be a better match for Celaena. Especially after having discovered her true identity and his hidden powers.

Diane (dianelefencer) | 2 comments I think it is early in the series, and that things may evolve in Heart of Midnight. Maybe there will be some new twists as Celaena grows up and learns more about her early life, and the responsibilities she may face as time goes by - maybe like going away to college after knowing someone special in high school. It worked OK when Chaol was Captain of the King's Guard, and Celaena was the King's Champion. Who knows.

Robin Elizabeth | 1 comments Why are there not more Dorian fans!! He is seriously under represented!

Raghav | 6 comments Robin Elizabeth wrote: "Why are there not more Dorian fans!! He is seriously under represented!"
People love to cheer for the underdog so much that the quote 'top dog' and the underdog actually end up switching places. Its not a phenomenon I approve of very much, but there it is.

message 18: by R. E. (last edited Aug 04, 2014 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. E. Myles | 11 comments I love Chaol and Celaena together...they work well together, and there's room for their relationship to grow. I think that's where people start to not liking Chaol and Celaena together. This is really the first time for both of these characters to experience a true loving relationship...I mean Celaena had the potential with Sam, but sadly she didn't get to fully experience or grow with Sam. Chaol she has that possibility. Both characters need to grow in respect to their decisions and their responsibilities. Celaena needs to decide who she needs to be and Chaol will have to decide whether his loyalty to his king or his friends is stronger.

I love Chaol as a character. I like Dorian, but Dorian also has a lot of room to grow he needs to figure out his powers and what he truly wants before he worries about relationships. I would love to see more interactions between Chaol and Dorian in HOF just to see how their relationship is going to repair itself. :)

I am team Chaol, but I'm not certain that the author will stick with him as Celaena's match. I have my fingers crossed, but there is a lot of story to go before then.

message 19: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Munnery (jmunners) | 11 comments Does anyone else just read his name as Kyle, because Chaol sounds ridiculous? I admire when authors try to find new names...but no. Not that one.

Helen | 8 comments No. I read the pronounciation guide on Sarah's website if I wasn't sure of something. Chaol is Kay-al (as in chaos). Hope that helps.

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Munnery (jmunners) | 11 comments Ok, I didn't make that clear, I know how it's supposed to be pronounced, but I don't like it. It just sounds wrong to me, I had the same problem with Gale from The Hunger Games.

Cierra Lam | 1 comments agreed Jess! I just called him Cole

Natalie Woodruff | 6 comments Cierra wrote: "agreed Jess! I just called him Cole"

I called him Ch-ole.. for awhile. haha

message 24: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Jakes | 21 comments Same, until my friend corrected me

message 25: by Anita (last edited Oct 16, 2014 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anita (aniemty) | 3 comments Book 2 Page 63
"Before it all was displayed a suit of armor and Damaris, the legendary sword of Gavin. Its hilt was silvery-gold, and had little ornamentation save for a pommel in the shape of an eye. There lay no
jewel in the socket, only an empty ring of gold. Some legends claimed that when Galavin wielded Damaris, he would only see the truth, and that was why he had been crowned king.

Guess who has the sword? =)

R. E. Myles | 11 comments That's what made me smile at the end. :) I can't wait to see his character develop more.

message 27: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Jakes | 21 comments I really hope Celaena and Chaol get back together. They were an amazing couple.

R. E. Myles | 11 comments That's my hope too.

message 29: by Natalie (last edited Oct 19, 2014 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalie Woodruff | 6 comments I just want MORE ROWAN!!

message 30: by Zeintaj (new)

Zeintaj | 1 comments Really they were an amazing couple

R. E. Myles | 11 comments Celaena and Rowan were a good pairing/partners, but the more I think about it I really just want them to be friends, as I think both characters need that type of support. Plus I don't know if I would ever want to be romantically involved with someone I could theoretically order around. :) I like the master and apprentice vibe.

message 32: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Jakes | 21 comments I agree. I have always (and have the feeling I will always) ship Chaoleana. Celaena needed Rowan's guidance, but he has already found his mate, so I feel that if he and Celaena become romantically involved, then it would diminish her importance in the story (what happened to her was a catalyst for how Rowan became).

Maddie | 2 comments I don't know what it is but I just don't like Chaol...? I always preferred Dorian. Though after Heir of Fire, I have to say I'm Team Rowan now haha. So much ship swapping has been done throughout this series XD

Anita (aniemty) | 3 comments I think , that will be Chaol and Aelin at last. When she final realize her love to Chaol, she feels she’s in home. “It somehow felt as if it had always been Chaol, even from the very beginning, even before they’d ever met."
Also, Chaol, says "His soul was bound to hers by some unbreakable chain."

For Rowan I believe is the kind of friend who remembers Susan ( Sarah' best friend and who she dedicates the books). Someone who cheer you up and believe in you no matter what.

message 35: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Munnery (jmunners) | 11 comments Maddie wrote: "I don't know what it is but I just don't like Chaol...? I always preferred Dorian. Though after Heir of Fire, I have to say I'm Team Rowan now haha. So much ship swapping has been done throughout t..."
We are in so much agreement!

Natalie Woodruff | 6 comments I ship Rowan + me, and Chaoleana.

Maddie | 2 comments Jess wrote: "Maddie wrote: "I don't know what it is but I just don't like Chaol...? I always preferred Dorian. Though after Heir of Fire, I have to say I'm Team Rowan now haha. So much ship swapping has been do..."
Right?!?! Everyone is on the Chaeoleana train but i don't get it? I figured Chaol and Celeana were better off as friends. I enjoyed reading their banter. He still annoys me though. I feel like he's always shoving his nose in places where it's not wanted hahaha. It's like Celaena has this awesome kickass moment, and then Chaol turns up and I inwardly groan like oh my god you again.... hahahahaha

message 38: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Munnery (jmunners) | 11 comments Maddie wrote: "Jess wrote: "Maddie wrote: "I don't know what it is but I just don't like Chaol...? I always preferred Dorian. Though after Heir of Fire, I have to say I'm Team Rowan now haha. So much ship swappin..."

Yupp, like you know nothing really spectacular is going to happen because he's normal. He can't really be a part of her world because he just won't ever undertand. Plus, we want more magic in the relationship!
I love reading the banter with Dorian, and the way she still got shy around him in CoM tells me there could still be something there. But I must say, I've left Dorian for Rowan by now. Can't wait for Rowan and Chaol to meet . . . epic stare off ahead!

Natalie Woodruff | 6 comments I want Aedion and Rowan to meet!!:) They are both so loyal to Celeana.. And I want to see who would win in a fight. I vote Aedion, even if Rowan is immortal and fae, with powers and whatnot.

message 40: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Jakes | 21 comments I agree! And if Rowan and Aedion did meet, I want Aedion to be really protective over Celaena and distrust Rowan.

R. E. Myles | 11 comments Anita wrote: "I think , that will be Chaol and Aelin at last. When she final realize her love to Chaol, she feels she’s in home. “It somehow felt as if it had always been Chaol, even from the very beginning, eve..."

See I just keep hearing that epic song/poem that was playing at one of the banquets they went to about the fae and her mortal knight. It seems like too much of a purposeful thing for the author to mention it and then completely let it fall by the way side. :)

R. E. Myles | 11 comments Maddie wrote: "Jess wrote: "Maddie wrote: "I don't know what it is but I just don't like Chaol...? I always preferred Dorian. Though after Heir of Fire, I have to say I'm Team Rowan now haha. So much ship swappin..."

I like Chaol because he is normal. Sometimes when I'm reading these type of books were everyone is super powered or has extraordinary powers I like having that one normal person that grounds the rest of the story into a realistic moment. I like Dorian, Rowan and Aedion, but they are all sometimes just really over the top for me. Chaol was normal and refreshing in a way that he was worried almost about normal things as well as trying to process the whole magic isn't gone and the two people he cares about most have possession of it.

I can honestly say that while I ship Chaol and Celaena I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the male choices that have been presented so far. :) Chaol is just my favorite.

Kathryn (kathrynbarnes) I seriously can't decide who I want Celaena to end up with. All the characters have such emotion and complex stories. I just hope she does end up with a happy ending. Such a long wait to find out !!!!!

Kelly | 3 comments I like all the male characters. I think Rowan and Aedion should remain a platonic relationship. Aedion is like her brother. Rowan because he has already found his mate, and he needs Celaena to help him recover in a friend way. That's what she called him. Dorian is a no because I don't think the two kingdoms should be completely united. They should be friends. Chaol is a yes, because that way the people have Terrasen have insurance that Dorian won't attack them because his best friend was one of the rulers.

Heidi B (wallflowerperksgirl) | 1 comments Chaol.......just.......ARGGHHHH!
I think he by far is better for Celena, Dorian is just too cliche, too 'been there, done that.'
I think the reason why so many people like Chaol is because he was the first one out of the two Celena met, which is always the person who the majority of the population ship.
Chaol is also not as tempermental as Dorian, i sometimes find Dorian a bit too wussy for Celena.......
I also like that Chaol worked his way up to build his life, instead of getting it handed to him.
Just my opinion.......

message 46: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Jakes | 21 comments Also, despite his flaws, Chaol has always struck me as a selfless person. He joined the Royal Guard to serve the King, and to be there for Dorian, forsaking his title. He then gives up his job, which he loves, and makes a deal to return to his father, whom he who rather avoid, so that Celaena will be safe from the King. And finally, he teams up with the rebels in order to aid Celaena further- although he thinks that she loathes him with the core of her being, and he knows that she may not chose to return.

A Killer (Re)Read - The Throne of Glass Series...

unread topics | mark unread