Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Cinder [May 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited May 14, 2018 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Cinder by Marissa Meyer starting May 15, 2018.
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

message 2: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yanique Gillana | 1013 comments Mod
Ok ! Will be starting soon.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Spot. :)
Will be starting soon also.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Finished part 1 and till now I like it.

It is so different from other Cinderella tales with cyborgs and androids.

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments It's one of my favourite YA. And Scarlet is just perfect. Enjoy!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1085 comments I loved all of these :) Hope you guys have fun and will definitely read your comments!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you girls. :)

End of Book 2

(view spoiler)

I know I'm supposed to read other books also but this caught at me and I just have to see what happens next.

So ... on to Book 3. :)

Beste | 1163 comments I read this book before but definitely need a re-read before I continue with Scarlet. So I'm dropping The Autumn Republic for a few days and starting Cinder tonight. Yayyy:)

Joanne I am going to start this one! Hello Laura! I have missed you.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Joanne! I've missed you too!!! 😘😘😘

Good to have you here.

Beste | 1163 comments About Cinder being taken: (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Beste wrote: "About Cinder being taken: [spoilers removed]"

Pretty much what I also thought. :)

Beste | 1163 comments Laura wrote: "Beste wrote: "About Cinder being taken: [spoilers removed]"

Pretty much what I also thought. :)"

Be a man! right? :))))))

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Right you are! :D

But I sort of detected a bit of jealousy and other petty mean feeling over there too: (view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments Laura wrote: "Right you are! :D

But I sort of detected a bit of jealousy and other petty mean feeling over there too: [spoilers removed]"

But it doesn't stop her going to the ball.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments well of course not! why would it stop her?!

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Beste (last edited May 16, 2018 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beste | 1163 comments Laura wrote: "well of course not! why would it stop her?!

[spoilers removed]"

And she is not even the real (view spoiler)

message 18: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura wrote: "Hi Joanne! I've missed you too!!! 😘😘😘

Good to have you here."

Laura, I see that you are thinking of just reading this series back-to-back instead of going monthly. I actually like that idea, since these books are short YA maybe we can do that. Instead of monthly do a weekly BR?

What do you guys think? We haven't scheduled the rest of the series yet.

Beste | 1163 comments Yanique wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi Joanne! I've missed you too!!! 😘😘😘

Good to have you here."

Laura, I see that you are thinking of just reading this series back-to-back instead of going monthly. I actually like t..."

If not monthly, can we do it every 15days? I still have Perdido Street Station, Embassytown and most importantly 1087pages long Words of Radiance :/

message 20: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beste wrote: "Yanique wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi Joanne! I've missed you too!!! 😘😘😘

Good to have you here."

Laura, I see that you are thinking of just reading this series back-to-back instead of going monthly. I..."

I'm also doing Perdido, WOR, and Memories of Ice too!

I was suggesting this because Laura mentioned something I've been thinking of. I never really spread out series like this before I started doing BRs, and sometimes I just want to marathon a series instead of waiting weeks between books. I understand why BRs are set up like this, especially for the long adult fantasy, but for these light YA reads...We do get 1 week before and 2 weeks after the BR to start if that helps. It was just a suggestion. We can schedule fortnightly if that fits better.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Beste wrote: "Laura wrote: "well of course not! why would it stop her?!

[spoilers removed]"

And she is not even the real [spoilers removed]"

You said it girl!!!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yanique wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi Joanne! I've missed you too!!! 😘😘😘

Good to have you here."

Laura, I see that you are thinking of just reading this series back-to-back instead of going monthly. I actually like t..."

I have been in a lot lot of BRs in the last year and the whole planning for books started to become a chore for me. I almost went into a slump and to avoid that from happening again I'm leaving some space for free reads. Stuff that I feel like reading at that time.

This series is one of those for now. I finished Cinder this morning and already finished Book 1 of Scarlet by now. That end made me so curious to see what happens next.

If you girls decide to BR the rest of this series I'll be on the thread with you and chat the same way I do now, but I'll probably finish the entire Lunar Chronicles by next week.

Beste | 1163 comments Thats faster than I thought. Yanique!!! Can we at least say 25May for Scarlet and then weekly BRs??

Beste | 1163 comments Also girls do we read the other books of this series (Fairest and Stars above)?

Beste | 1163 comments Btw I finished the book
Spoilers:(view spoiler)

message 26: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beste wrote: "Thats faster than I thought. Yanique!!! Can we at least say 25May for Scarlet and then weekly BRs??"

Works for me!

Beste | 1163 comments So can we say the threads will be as:
Scarlet May25, Cress June1, Fairest June8, Winter June15, Stars Above June22????

message 28: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beste wrote: "So can we say the threads will be as:
Scarlet May25, Cress June1, Fairest June8, Winter June15, Stars Above June22????"

Sure. I'm starting Cinder today, and these seem like one-sitting books.

Beste | 1163 comments can you ask for a thread with these dates? Im on the phone can't go into the mods please add this thread today.

message 30: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

So I’m planning on reading this tonight. 1/4 into it and my thoughts are that it’s super simple, and maybe a little too straight forward, but it’s interesting. I knew nothing about plot or characters going in, and this would not be what I guessed at all.

message 31: by Yanique, Thread Master (last edited May 19, 2018 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished it last night, and I'm so glad we scheduled the following book so soon after the first. That ending... not really a fan.

I liked the story generally, though I did find it a bit too simple. I wasn't sure how the whole re-telling aspect was going to work for a fairytale in sci-fi, but it was interesting.

message 32: by Joanne (last edited May 24, 2018 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanne End of part 1. Wow! you are really fast readers! I am now doing messaging with Laura on Cinder as well. I feel that the part with Cinder being taken was awful. Too bad I read it at bed time! I had to read it until it wasn't as scary. I agree with what you all said. I think Adri should have just said she did it for the money instead of blaming Cinder.

message 33: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Crap. I knew I forgot another one.

//adds to currently reading list

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Sha - slowly chanting *me and you! you and me!* :D

I've finished this one but have so many others that I didn't even start! MoI - oh man! That one started on the 18th and I didn't even add it... (*sigh*)

Beste | 1163 comments We have Scarlet starting today. And we go with weekly schedules.

message 36: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments //swoons in despair

Beste | 1163 comments why? you can catch up in no time. these books are super easy

message 38: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Probably could if I was reading only that book, but I have a monster of a currently reading list. still, i guess I can use it as a light read once I'm done with succubus on top

message 39: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Halfway through the book... Looks like it's a (view spoiler)

message 40: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Chapter 28;
Iko is adorable.
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Adri is a ridiculously over the top character though. The biggest emotion this book has wrung from me is a meeting desire to strangle her.

message 42: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Oh shit. (view spoiler)

message 43: by Sha (last edited May 26, 2018 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Her family ks really driving me up the wall they are cartoonist awful a d could give lessons to the Dursleys

message 44: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Aaaaand done~

I'm in for the rest of the books.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Since even Sha is joining, I'll wait for you ladies with the rest of the books. I finished Scarlet already but will hold the rest back and read them with you.

message 46: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thread cleanup OCD just moved this to the Lunar Chronicles folder. :)

Beste | 1163 comments thanks Niki :)

message 48: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Welcome :)