Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Power
This topic is about The Power
Archives > The Power, by Naomi Alderman

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stacey D.  | 1797 comments Up to midway in this complex, semi-dystopian novel I was hooked. The plot was imaginative and got into some good, previously unexplored territory, although the writing wasn't all that thrilling. Sometime thereafter, my interest began to wane. Too many characters and too much war, which didn't quite add up. I got why the ending happened the way it did, but overall, I was a little disappointed by the outcome and why this book was selected as the winner of the 2017 Women's Prize for Fiction. Giving it three stars for the book's sheer creativity and an interesting "what if?" to ponder for days to come. I was also impressed with the ancient artwork that the author presents to further highlight the story's plausibility, which I'd like to learn more about. This was my pick for Week 37: A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee.

Pamela | 1117 comments I just began this last night (for the same week you're reading it) and am already thinking "this can so easily go wrong" and looks like I could be right! I'm going to keep going because so many people loved it.

I'm reading the e-version, am I missing pictures?

Stacey D.  | 1797 comments Pamela wrote: "I just began this last night (for the same week you're reading it) and am already thinking "this can so easily go wrong" and looks like I could be right! I'm going to keep going because so many peo..."

Not sure what version you have, but I read mine on an e-version on Libby. There were little drawings/hieroglyphics scattered throughout, illustrating elements of the book and possible hints that occurred in history leading to "the power". I think they were real artworks, but not sure if the joke's on me :o

Pamela | 1117 comments Stacey wrote: "Pamela wrote: "I just began this last night (for the same week you're reading it) and am already thinking "this can so easily go wrong" and looks like I could be right! I'm going to keep going beca..."

I'm doing audio
I think I'll pop by a bookstore and have a look.

I'm a little past halfway and I'm not so keen on it. There's too many characters. I feel always jumping about. And I get what she is trying for but for me so far, I'm not biting. We'll see,

And the reader on the audio sucks. That could be part of it.

Angela | 390 comments I read this for 2018's Week 33: a book connected (title, cover, content) to a word 'born' in the same year as you. My year word was sexual harassment (timely), and this dystopian novel packs quite a punch as it explores power and gender dynamics. The first two-thirds of the novel in particular were gripping, but it did lose its way a little towards the end. I assumed the art work wasn't real, but prepared for the book, it never occurred to me that they could be real. A thoroughly good read that will provoke a lot of conversation.

Katie | 2362 comments I'm reading this for my Obama 2017 Recommendations challenge. I hadn't heard of it and knew nothing about it before I starred reading it. I'm about halfway through, and I find it so compelling so far.

Nadine in NY Jones | 1698 comments I read this for the Women's Prize category, and like you said, I was hooked at first. The premise is fascinating, the framing device (a report written in the far future) is clever, the gender power dynamics is thought provoking, the building tension at the beginning is riveting ... but I didn't really like where the story went next, I felt like the author lost control of her story. I still say it was good and worth reading, but it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be.

Katie | 2362 comments I have about 4 hours left in the audiobook & it seems to be much more action-driven at this point, which to be honest I like less than the buildup. But my audiobook is due back later tonight, so I need to just push through & get to the end!

Brooke | 230 comments I am reading this as a buddy read in another group but using it for the Women's Prize category for the AtY challenge. I'm only a few pages in, but I like the framing device as well.

Sophie (sawphie) | 2847 comments I also started it yesterday for the Women's Prize prompt and really like the first 20%. We'll see how it goes!

Chrissy | 940 comments I’m listening to the audiobook (and I quite like the narrator) but think there’s something missing. When an entry from the museum of post-cataclysm artifacts is described, it is followed by a different voice saying something like “2 years”. I don’t understand the significance - is this something with more context in the paper version?

Rachel (wildhoney) | 68 comments Read The Power by Naomi Alderman for ATY's 2019 prompt #17, a speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia) book. This one took me out of my comfort zone because it's so different from the books I normally read. It's filled with a bit too much anger and violence for me to digest easily but I'm glad that I stuck with it because the end is jaw dropping. This book really had me thinking about how we treat other people and the story will definitely stick with me for a long time.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Power (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Alderman (other topics)