Play Book Tag discussion

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
This topic is about The Mysterious Affair at Styles
May 2018: Family Drama > The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (last edited May 14, 2018 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte | 1663 comments The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
5 stars

The story follows a young man that goes to a friend's (John) family home to recover. Early in the story you find out that the matriarch of John's family has recently remarried to the cousin, Alfred, of the matriarch's faithful assistant, Evie. There is drama amongst the main family as the stepsons, John and Lawrence, did not receive much upon the death of their father and it all went to their stepmother. Now they are dependent upon her for everything and she knows that they are just around for the money. Evie and Alfred seem to have their own drama, as Evie does not trust Alfred at all and is quite loud about her displeasure of him. John has his own drama with his wife, Mary... then the matriarch is found poisoned and all heck breaks loose. Thank goodness the world famous detective, Poirot, is staying at a house in the village. and we are introduced to the eccentricities of Hercule Poirot as he follows the clues.

This is Agatha Christie's first book in the Hercule Poirot series and I loved it. I could not put it down and really enjoyed it. I was first introduced to Hercule Poirot with the most recent re-make of the Murder on the Orient Express, I recognized that there was probably a formula where it'll come down to the end of the book for the brilliance of Poirot and the true perpetrator to be revealed.

The end wasn't predictable, she kept me guessing all the way to when all was revealed, although some things I was able to figure out. I, personally, don't mind books that follow a formula of sorts. For me, it is relaxing to read a book with a bit of predictability.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I love me some Agatha Christie.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "I love me some Agatha Christie."

Me too.:) I've always loved these books.

annapi | 5159 comments Me three :)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments I've made up my mind to read every Agatha Christie book after reading this one.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6396 comments Add me to the Agatha fan club!

ShazM | 389 comments Nice review! I am lucky enough to have every Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple book in hardback. My older sister bought them for me as a monthly subscription, two novels in each book, back when she got her first job. I must remember to thank her again! This is actually not one of my favourites but I think Agatha Christie was a master of family drama, exposing all of the small human frailties in her characters as you hunt for the murderer. I also enjoy the familiar format, the laying of clues up until the big reveal at the end.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Sharon wrote: "Nice review! I am lucky enough to have every Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple book in hardback. My older sister bought them for me as a monthly subscription, two novels in each book, back when she go..."

Jealous!!

I am hooked! I have 3 sitting on my shelf and one more on it's way!