PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [General] > PenPal Icebreaker Info and Sign-Up

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jun 03, 2018 06:39AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments PenPal Summer Icebreaker Challenge: JUN-AUG
Make new PenPals AND discover new books to read, all summer long!
This is easy and fun! You only have to read 1 book (and recommend 1 book) to participate!

How it works: You read a book a member has recommended, and send them a PenPal message about the book. Another member reads a book you have recommended, and they send you a PenPal message about the book.

View the spreadsheet of book recommendations here.
- Discussion thread is here
Sign-up/participate all summer long

STEP 1: SIGN-UP
Sign-up thread is OPEN! To sign-up, post the following in your comment:
- Icebreaker detail(s) – add an interesting detail about yourself. (at least 1, up to 3) . ie. hobbies, experiences, favorite movie/music/food/, traditions etc.
- Book recommendation(s) – add a book recommendation (at least 1, up to 3) *use the add book/author link that Goodreads provides. (Optional - feel free to include a sentence or two on what you love about the book/why you're recommending it.)

Moderators will compile all information into a spreadsheet for easy viewing. Spreadsheet can be viewed here...

STEP 2: READ A RECOMMENDED BOOK
Review the spreadsheet, and choose a MINIMUM of one book to read that’s been recommended by another member participating in the challenge.

STEP 3: PENPAL MESSAGE
After you’ve read your book, send a PenPal message to the member who recommended the book and share your reading experience with them. Chat about your/their icebreaker details, your/their book recommendations, and any other details or interests you may have in common.

STEP 4: POST COMPLETE
Post a complete message to the challenge discussion thread with final details on which book you read and how it went connecting to your PenPal.

STEP 5: REPEAT
You can repeat this challenge all summer long, choosing different books, and PenPal’ng with participating members whose recommendations you read.

NOTES:
- Sign-up will remain open throughout the challenge for any new members coming in.
- Your sign-up must include a minimum of 1 icebreaker detail and 1 book recommendation.
- For your book recommendation(s), be sure to include a Goodreads link to the book. You can use the 'add book/author' link to add the book to your post.
- To complete the challenge, you will read a minimum of ONE book, and send a minimum of ONE PenPal message.
- The spreadsheet has 3 tabs:
1) Listing summary of each partipant's icebreaker details and book recommendations.
2) FAQ
3) Prompts for icebreaker details if you're not sure what to put.
- The challenge discussion thread is here

SIGN-UP BELOW!!! Don't forget to include up to 3 icebreaker details, and up to 3 book recommendations :)

May this challenge bring you lots of new book discoveries and new penpals!

message 2: by Anne ✨ (last edited May 14, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Signing up :)

Icebreaker:
I add maple syrup to everything - I'm Canadian :)
I'm learning to play the ukulele.
I love the ocean

Book recommendations:
The Lightkeeper's Daughters
Canadian author and setting on the shores of Lake Superior. Wonderfully atmospheric, and a great relationship bond between an older woman and a young teen as the storyline develops. I spent childhood summers in the Great Lakes (Lake Huron), so this book brought back many memories for me.

The Book of the Unnamed Midwife
Award winning, a gritty and raw book with intriguing storyline and a great female lead character. I liked this book better than Station Eleven

Daughter of the Pirate King
A super fun and quick adventure read - a pirate story with a twist - the lead is a female pirate daughter who's sassy and smart. The storyline and cast of characters are great. Escapist read. I read this in a day!

message 3: by Cindee (new)

Cindee | 20 comments Signing up

Icebreaker details
I like all kinds of music but the kinds I listen to most are JRock,Jpop Disney songs, and some Rock and Pop music.
I the one modern convenience I could not live without would be my laptop I do everything on it from reading to all other things.
I love anime nearly as much as I love books I watch it on my FUNimation app all the time.

Book Recommendations:

Aru Shah and the End of Time
This book is a really good mythology based Middle-Grade novel I recommend to anyone who likes funny adventure books or just like reading books by Rick Riordan this comes from his imprint of Disney Hyperion and is just as good as anything he writes,

Children of Blood and Bone
A complex and interesting story about magic and why it is gone and the fact people are persecuted for performing it and all the interesting things connected to all that.

Cruel Beauty
My favorite Beauty and the Beast retelling

message 4: by Jazzy (last edited May 16, 2018 02:14AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I carefully chose each of my icebreakers and books so that they would be linked to each other, as well as choosing books that might be the most easily accessed by the majority of people around the world, so I hope you like my choices. There are no spoilers! I chose the first line of the book Love Story to describe it.

I love Mozart and Bach. And The Beatles.
I sing and play ukulele in a band called 'Misspent Uke' and am learning to play guitar.

Love Story by Erich Segal
"What can you say about a twenty-five year old girl who died? That she was beautiful. And brilliant. That she loved Mozart and Bach. And The Beatles. And me."
Love Story became the top-selling work of fiction for all of 1970 in the USA, and was translated into more than 20 languages. I've read it several times in my life and it never fails to strike a chord of simplicity and melancholy. Like a song.

I am definitely a dog person, although I don't have one at the moment. Instead I have two cats named Lucy and Cosette.

White Fang by Jack London
The eponymous White Fang is a wolf-dog in the Yukon, and his humanisation can be linked to the fact that the book is based on London himself, detailing the struggle of his transformation from the wild nature of his youth to that of a man of culture and domesticity. My family took turns reading this out-loud together when I was a child, and subsequently I did the same with my own children. It is a companion to London's earlier book 'The Call of the Wild'.

This book is available FREE on Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/910

I live in the the north of England, and am much closer to Edinburgh than London. Some might say 'It's grim up north,' but I love Newcastle, me.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
A bittersweet story of a Scottish schoolmistress at a conservative girl's school in 1930s Edinburgh. Miss Brodie is a spinster who believes her life is in its prime, and she imparts her ideas of art, beauty, and even facism with zeal on her young, impressionable, and romanticised girls. A deft little masterpiece of only 128 pages, this classic was adapted as a play in 1966 featuring Vanessa Redgrave, then a film starring Maggie Smith in 1969.

message 5: by Norma (new)

Norma | 6 comments I’m a stay at home mom for now, I really want to go back to school. I love anything to do with the paranormal or conspiracies.
I recommend:
Pieces of Georgia. A really great but a little sad ya book. I got the recommendation from my 12 years.
Roanoke girls. It was amazing but definitely for a adult and not for the faint of heart.
We were liars was also a really good book.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Octavia (octaviamarie) | 6 comments 1.) i work a full time job that i love but also absolutley hate
2.) i crochet BIG time. i love making kimonos and wraps since im always cold
3.)i can read tarot cards

book1-the bookshop on the corner-Jenny colgan. a sweet coming of age story for those girls in their late 20's thinking life is over.

book2- the belles Dhonielle Claytong. A super twisted YA fantasy....that isnt all as pretty as it seems

book 3 Furyborn by Claire Legrand. Hands down the best YA fantasy book i have read in my entire life. Just read it, no regrets

message 7: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments TO ALL SIGNED UP - YAY, It's June 1st, and so our challenge has officially begun!!! We've added all of your book recommendations to the spreadsheet, so everyone can start choosing books and reading! I see several books I've really excited to read, I love the recommendations so far!

SPREADSHEET is here
DISCUSSION THREAD is here

SIGN-UP stays open all summer, so I hope that we'll see LOTS more members joining us in this challenge!

Happy reading, recommending, and PenPal'ng!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (lostanddamnedangel) | 7 comments Icebreaker:
- I'm french, and live in France. But all the books I read is in English.
- I'm a pc gamer. I play games every day and always end up sleeping very late because of that.
- I'm not sure if I'm a cat or a dog person. Really, they're all freaking cute. How can I choose? So yeah, I might as well be both.

Book 1 : To kill a kingdom. “Technically, I’m a murderer, but I like to think that’s one of my better qualities.” This is a dark fantasy book and a sort of retelling of The little mermaid. Seriously, this book is brilliant.

Book 2 : Four psychos. “So if you were a boy band, you’d be One Erection,” I state, rambling because they have me nervous.” This book is so refreshing, and funny. So, this is a Reverse Harem book. But the chemistry between the girl and the boys is so complete and well done, that even if you're not really into RH book, you might just give it a shot and fall head over heels for this book.

Book 3 : Poison Study. “One, and two, and three, four, five. Keep fighting like this and you will die," Janco sang.” This book… so damn good. Ari and Janco have my heart. So does Yelena and Valek, but come on, they're everything you want them to be and even more. So yeah, if you read this, you'll love them as much as I do.

message 9: by Kay (new)

Kay | 6 comments Icebreaker
My hobby right now is collecting library cards. I have 20 so far and plans to acquire at least 10 more over the summer. There is a method to my madness, I view this as my own personal scavenger hunt. I live in California and there are over 50 counties in my state. My goal is to visit each one and acquire a library card. I am learning quite a bit about my state in the process.

BOOKS (I am a bit of a romance junkie.)

Only a Kiss
I am a big fan of Mary Balogh and this is one of my favorites.

Sunset Embrace
I actually read book 2 first but I really enjoyed this one more.

Indigo
I really enjoyed this book and was intrigued by the origins of the story.

message 10: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments After considering it for a long while, I've decided to join up. All my books are related to the icebreakers :)

1. Cloud Atlas
This is possibly one of the books that has influenced my life the most. It was recommended to me by a friend of my brother's.
Icebreaker: I have a half-brother who was born and lives in Brazil, We found out about the existence of each other and there's nothing we can attribute it to other than pure chance or fate.

2. Battle Royale
There aren't many books that make me cry this hard.
I am passionate about Japanese literature, especially their sci-fi and dark fantasy novels, although I do enjoy good mangas and poetry.

3. The Forty Rules of Love

Icebreaker #3: I live in a country where majority of people are considered atheists, are very private and don't smile a lot. Yet most of them have remained kind.

message 11: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Ooh , more awesome book recommendations! Jennifer, Kay, Mion, your books are all added to the spreadsheet, thrilled you're all participating!

I've already picked two books I want to read for starters, with more to follow!

Has anyone else found a book they're excited to read? Share your thoughts on our Challenge Discussion thread here.

message 12: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments Hi all. My namne is Kyle and I look forward to making a lot of friends in this group!

1. Flowers for Algernon - This book I have read many years ago and it still affects me today. It's such a sad tale, but it's beautifully woven. I always recommend it to anyone who is interested to read a book.

A fact about me is that I majored in Psychology and Russian Studies. Despite such interesting fields I went to Library School and now I am a Librarian :)

2. Bless Me, Ultima - I read this book when I was teenager and it influenced all of my spiritual beliefs and understanding of the world around me. I still strive to be wise and so spiritually sound just like Ultima

Another fact about me is that I have two cats. Their names are Abra (named after the Pokemon) and Gold Experience (named after a character from ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 47 さよなら杜王町ー黄金の心 JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken: Sayonara Moriōchō - Ōgon no Kokoro )

3. In the Miso Soup - I love this book! I think it's a great suspenseful story. After I read this book I went and bought practically all of the books by this author.

A third fact about me is that I love horror. I love horror movies, horror books, horror creepypastas, etc. The more violent, the better. Any horror recommendations send it my way!

message 13: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Kyle wrote: "Hi all. My namne is Kyle and I look forward to making a lot of friends in this group!

1. Flowers for Algernon - This book I have read many years ago and it still affects me today. ..."

These books sound so interesting, Kyle! I've added them to the challenge spreadsheet. So glad you're participating!

Jazzy, Mion - I think you'll like Kyle's book suggestions!

message 14: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi,
I'd like to sign up!
My name's Chloe, I'm 20 and I'm from England.

The first interesting fact about me is that I have two tortoises, Don and Myrtle.

Secondly, I have just finished the second year of my Accounting degree. Despite what you might think, it's not boring!!

My first book recommendation is The Distance Between Us. This is a perfect YA romance for the summer. I really enjoyed it and read it insanely quickly!

My second recommendation is The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. This is a great YA read - I'd class it as fantasy but I'm not sure. It's a bit of a weird one, but I enjoyed finding out what happened to Mara and her old friends.

I'm looking forward to talking to you all!

message 15: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Chloe wrote: "Hi,
I'd like to sign up!
My name's Chloe, I'm 20 and I'm from England.

The first interesting fact about me is that I have two tortoises, Don and Myrtle.

Secondly, I have just finished the second ..."

Hi Cloe! Nice to meet you. You may have 3 recommendations if you like!

message 16: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Kyle wrote: "Hi all. My namne is Kyle and I look forward to making a lot of friends in this group!

1. Flowers for Algernon - This book I have read many years ago and it still affects me today. ..."

Hi Kyle! I like your cat's names.
I have read Flowers For Algernon over 10 times, I had a terrifically battered copy. There is a very good film as well, I had a copy but lent it to a friend.
I'm have also read Bless Me, Ultima, but it's been a while. I got it from the library when i was about 12, a very long time ago!
Jazzy

message 17: by Sami (new)

Sami (indulgentreaders) | -1 comments Hi,
I would like to sign up!
Icebreakers:
1. I am a Medieval Re-enactor and as such know a lot of useless information regarding the Living during the wars of the roses.
2. When being driven long distances i still prefer to use an old fashioned map,
3. I tend to enjoy more modern books but challenge myself to read one classic per year. Mort

I would like to recommend Girl with a Pearl Earring
This book is certainly out of my usual reading genre however I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Book number 2: Mort this was my introduction the discworld and I hope that others can derived as much joy out of it as I.

Book Number 3: Skulduggery Pleasant this series is amazing and I find it upsetting that it hasn't been more widely read.

message 18: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Sam wrote: "Hi,
I would like to sign up!
Icebreakers:
1. I am a Medieval Re-enactor and as such know a lot of useless information regarding the Living during the wars of the roses.
2. When being driven long ..."

Mort was my first discworld book and I absolutely loved it!
And I also challenge myself to read at least one classic a year.

message 19: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Sam wrote: "Hi,
I would like to sign up!
Icebreakers:
2. When being driven long ..."

That's great Sam, I've added your info to the spreadsheet - great recommendations!

message 20: by Amber M. (last edited Jun 23, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments

Ok, took my sweet time getting here, but would like to join in on this now :)

Icebreaker Details:
I have five young kiddos, ages 2-11, that are semi-homeschooled.

I am self-employed as an energy healer, with Reiki as my foundation.

I love to dance, all kinds: ballroom, belly dance, line, contra, swing and salsa, Argentine tango, even some Scandinavian...

Book Recommendations:
A Man Called Ove

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions

The Night Circus

message 21: by Jazzy (last edited Jun 23, 2018 05:48PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Amber wrote: "
Ok, took my sweet time getting here, but would like to join in on this now :)

Icebreaker Details:
I have five young kiddos, ages 2-11, that are semi-homeschooled.

I am self-employed as an energ..."

Hi Amber!
I'm also a dancer.
I've added your details to the spreadsheet, if you'd like to tell us a little bit about why you've chosen each of your books, please feel free!
Jazzy

message 22: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Jazzy wrote: "Hi Amber!
I'm also a dancer.
I've added your details to the spreadsheet, if you'd like to tell us a little bit about why you've chosen each of your books, please feel free!
Jazzy"

Thank you! :)

message 23: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Amber
My pleasure, Treasure!

Dear Mion
Aha! I see your book The Forty Rules of Love is ....LITERARY FICTION! oh yes, one of my favourite categories. If I see it I will have to dip in and test the water.

I'm swamped with work at the minute, so my reading is exceptionally slow.

Ta-ra.

Jazzy

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Icebreaker details:

1. I run an online international book club for adults on Goodreads called the Reading for Pleasure book club which turns 4 years old on July 15.

2. One of my favorite video games to play is Stardew Valley which I have on PC and PS4.

3. My favorite author is Sherrilyn Kenyon.

4. My favorite actors are Robert Englund and Matthew Broderick.

5. Love pizza! It's one of my favorite foods.

Book recommendations:

Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

The Princess Bride

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

My Best Friends Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

message 25: by Jazzy (last edited Jun 27, 2018 01:00AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Hi Amber! we only needed 3 icebreaker topics, 3 books, and 3 reasons for recommendation. I am putting your books in and you can see the spreadsheet here!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
Jazzy

message 26: by Amber (last edited Jun 27, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Reasons for these:

Eyes of the Dragon was my first ever Stephen King book I read which was the first YA dark fantasy he wrote for his daughter. It is a pretty good read which features Randall Flagg from his book the Stand as the main villain.

Born of Night is a pretty good Space epic adventure romance series and is the first of the League series. If you love action, adventure, and aliens, you will enjoy this book that starts the League series.

Princess Bride because its just like the movie.

message 27: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Amber wrote: "Reasons for these:

Eyes of the Dragon was my first ever Stephen King book I read which was the first YA dark fantasy he wrote for his daughter. It is a pretty good read which features Randall Flag..."

I read The Princess Bride before the film was made :) Great book.

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I agree Jazzy. I saw the film first then read the book.

message 29: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments It remained very true to the original story. But made me love Star Wars even more because Princess Leia, unlike Princess Buttercup, didn't wait around for someone to save her and took matters in her own hands, and I knew I would prefer to be more like her than Buttercup, but still thought it was a grand book.

message 30: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi! Can I make some updates to my post on the spreadsheet please?

First can we correct my name to "Chloe" - it's not important but it's wrong!

Then can we add my third fact about me to:
I love listening to 'true' scary story narrations, and it's what I do most of the time in my office.

Can I also add my third book recommendation to:
Clean by Juno Dawson. This book made me cry, and smile, and cry some more. Loved it!

Thanks!!

message 31: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Chloe wrote: "Hi! Can I make some updates to my post on the spreadsheet please?

First can we correct my name to "Chloe" - it's not important but it's wrong!

Then can we add my third fact about me to:
I love li..."

Sorry Chloe, must have been a typo with your name but everything is sorted now! x

message 32: by Steffi (new)

Steffi Busch | 2 comments Oh dear, I hope I am not too late for this challenge...
I have only recently joined goodreads, and am now browsing all topics.

ice-breaker details:

1) I am a practising Buddhist, but non-dogmatic and open to all discussions concerning religion and spirituality

2) I am a geriatric nurse, and love my profession!!

3) I read many genres, but most of all contemporary Japanese fiction, crime/mystery, classics, and non-fiction.

4) I am 46 years old, divorced, but in a new relationship.

my recommendations so far...

a) The Magpie Murders
by Anthony Horowitz

two novels for the price of one - one story hidden inside the other! Very suspenseful, and densely written.

b) Lost for Words
by Stephanie Butland

Charming story about a Gothic girl working in a bookshop, slowly revealing her tragic family history.

c) The Thirst
by Jo Nesbø

one of my favourite authors! this is the latest novel starring inspector Harry Hole from Oslo. totally ingenious!

message 33: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 06, 2018 09:50PM) (new)

Elizabeth Pecoraro (elizabethgabriella) | 11 comments Hi, I know I am a little late, but August is seeming pretty lazy for me which means more time to read & participate!

For now, I only have one recommendation and that is Life and Death in Shanghai by Nein Cheng. Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng . I haven't completely finished it, but it is really good. My history teacher gave it to me with some of his notes written in which helps make it even more fun. Well, that doesn't mean the subject of the book is actually fun. It's a memoir of sorts about a woman in China who was wealthy, married to an English man, and worked in an international company. That is, before China's Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution, where (to make a long story short) all hell broke loose at the hands of teenagers who wreaked havock all over China in violent outbursts in the name of their lord and savior Chairman Mao. Cheng is their perfect target and after the destruction of her home and all of her things, she is tortured and imprisoned for six years. Her journey before, during, and after the imprisonment is shocking, inspiring, and SOOOOOOO interesting. If you don't normally read history or memoir books, or if you don't know much about China and the GPCR, I challenge you to read this and be left SHOOK. I hope someone tries this book out and learns a thing or two about the insane happenings during the GPCR. I'm still boggled at how little Americans know about this.

As for me, I love geography, traveling, and the world. Currently, I have been to Jamaica and Turks & Caicos on vacation, Costa Rica and Peru for service, and China for education. I live in New York but I want to live in China when I'm older. :)

message 34: by Jazzy (last edited Aug 07, 2018 02:18AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Added!
I read the book when it came out. Excellent choice. :)

message 35: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Steffi and Elizabeth I've added you! Only not in that order :)

message 36: by Anne ✨ (last edited Aug 17, 2018 10:34AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Checking in on how the Icebreaker challenge is going for everyone! Has everyone who posted recommendations had at least one person read one of their books and share a PenPal exchange?

If not, please post here or message me to let us know! I'm in need of a new book to read, and I'd be happy to read one of your books!