Coraline Coraline discussion

Coraline

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Coraline by Neil Gaiman is his attempt at a children's book which results in a really creepy story. Gaiman takes readers through a sequence of events in Coraline James life. Although warned not to go through the door, Coraline opens the door into a world with ‘Other Mother’ and ‘Other Father’ who happen to have buttons for eyes. She eventually begins to like the ‘Other World’ more than her own. I really enjoyed this book because it reveals much about the relationship between parents and children. It shows how kids take their parents for granted and confirmed the truth that ‘the grass isn’t always greener on the other side’. Another reason I enjoyed this book is the vivid imagery that goes along with the plot. Gaiman describes the character and creates somewhat of an aura around each character. The all around creepy mood of this story kept me engaged throughout the book. One thing I really liked about Coraline is that there weren't any random characters. Every character in the book had some sort of role that added elements to the story that could not have existed if they were not there. Overall, I do not have anything negative to say about this book and look forward to watching the movie!

Michael Prentice I could not gave said it better, and can not think of anything to add. Having seen the movie myself, I will warn you there are some definite differences.
Also, you should check out "The Ocean At The End Of The Lane". It's another of Gaiman at his best.