Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading May 14?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2122 comments Mod
This week I'm starting off with a Love To Remember by Sarah Hadley Brook.

message 2: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments I just finished Don't Call Me Cupcake which was lovely but I needed more steam lol
I think my required steam level has gone up in recent years lol

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I received three Susan Mallery ARCs at once last week. I've read When We Found Home (July 10), a women's fiction standalone, and Why Not Tonight (September 18), Happily Inc # 3. Not Quite Over You (October 23), Happily Inc #4 is next.

message 4: by Irisheyes (last edited May 14, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments LOL, Janga!

I completely switched gears last week when I got a notice that my hold on Sisters Like Us by Susan Mallery was available to check out. I also went against character and read it even though it was book #4 in a 4 book series and I hadn’t read books 1-3. I really loved it. I loved it so much that I turned around and checked out books 1-3 and finished them by Saturday night!

I enjoyed almost every storyline but came away very upset at the curveballs that SM delivered with a few of the characters. It got me to thinking about why I don’t read more of her books and I think I figured it out by the time I got to the end of book #3. She did something that I call character assassination. She made me fall in love with a character – pretty much figure out where they’re coming from, what their motivation is and then did a 180 and had them act out of character for the sake of creating drama/conflict or to stretch the storyline. Very frustrating!

Nevertheless a good series I would recommend. I'm thinking most people wouldn't be bothered by the abrupt change in characterizations and the rest of the storylines are really good. Here they are in order:

The Girls of Mischief Bay
The Friends We Keep
A Million Little Things
Sisters Like Us

message 5: by Janga (last edited May 14, 2018 12:10PM) (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "LOL, Janga!

I completely switched gears last week when I got a notice that my hold on Sisters Like Us by Susan Mallery was available to check out. I also went against character and..."

I like the Mischief Bay series too, Irish. Mallery has been on my autobuy list for a long while, but she can make me crazy at times with some of her characters. I wrote a piece for H & H on her jerk heroes--and there are quite a few. I really dislike Ethan Hendrix in Almost Perfect, FG #2, and Matt Fenner in Sweet Trouble, Bakery Sisters #3, is high on my list of most hated heroes. OTOH, she has also created some heroes I adore, Clay Stryker in All Summer Long, Fool's Gold #8 (?), for example.

message 6: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Janga wrote: "Irisheyes wrote: "LOL, Janga!

I completely switched gears last week when I got a notice that my hold on Sisters Like Us by Susan Mallery was available to check out. I also went aga..."

Just posted my character rant on the SPOILER THREAD. It's funny, Janga, case ALL SUMMER LONG is the only other Susan Mallery I have on my list of books I've read. I liked Clay too!

Do you like her Happily Inc. series?

message 7: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
Chiming I'm to agree that Mallory characters can be maddening! I haven't read any of her WF yet. Or the Happily Inc. series either.

I think Clay is one of my favorite of her heroes, second only to Ford) whose last name I can't remember right now).

As you may remember, I've been in a reading slump and I'm happy to report I read the latest Anne Gracie last week (which I loved) and now I'm halfway through an ARC of Lucy Parker's Making Up which I'm enjoying. Yay!!!

message 8: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Manda wrote: "Chiming I'm to agree that Mallory characters can be maddening! I haven't read any of her WF yet. Or the Happily Inc. series either.

I think Clay is one of my favorite of her heroes, second only to..."

Oh I can't wait for MAKING UP, Manda! I love Lucy Parker!

message 9: by Leigh-Ayn (last edited May 14, 2018 06:11PM) (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Irisheyes wrote: "Manda wrote: "Chiming I'm to agree that Mallory characters can be maddening! I haven't read any of her WF yet. Or the Happily Inc. series either.

I think Clay is one of my favorite of her heroes, ..."

I don't think I have read any Susan Mallery but i am wondering if i need to look into Clay!!!

I also can't wait for MAKING UP !!

message 10: by Janga (new)

He is an underwear model, Leigh-Ayn, but in terms of personality not at all what one would expect. And I LOVE the ending of that book! I like Ford too, Manda, even though he is brother to the jerk Ethan Hendrix. Felicity Swift and Gideon Boylan (Two of a Kind are also favorites.

Irish, Happily Inc is a spinoff from Fool's Gold. Fool's Gold ends with Aidan Mitchell's story; his brother Del Mitchell's story is told several books prior to that. The first three novels in the Happily Inc series complete the stories of the Mitchell brothers with Nick, Mathias, and Ronan serving as heroes in that order. I'm guessing that if you liked Fool's Gold, you will like the new series too.

Manda, the more Marry in Scandal love I hear about, the happier I am. And I too am looking forward to Making Up.

message 11: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Janga wrote: "He is an underwear model, Leigh-Ayn, but in terms of personality not at all what one would expect. And I LOVE the ending of that book! I like Ford too, Manda, even though he is brother to the jerk ..."

Thanks!!! Ignore my question in the spoiler thread lol!

Ooh I haven't read Marry in Scandal yet! Maybe I need to read that before I read about Clay!

Last week is a blur as I fell down the rabbit hole of Stiletto / Oxford by Lauren Layne. Next week a new series starts called Wall Street. EEK!

message 12: by Manda (new)

Janga, Marry in Scandal was such a wonderful blend of familiar tropes put together in a fresh way. Not too angsty, not too frivolous, but just right.

I forgot Ford was a Hendrix, Janga. Ethan was a definite jerk, but his family was good people. ;)

Guys, you're going to love Making Up. It's got a different feel from the other two books because it's a reunion story, and both Trix and Leo are in competition in their jobs so the power dynamic is different. Can't wait to talk about it with you!

message 13: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
One comment about A Million Little Things that is no big deal but nagged at me; Ashton could have gone to live with Stacey and Kit long before he turned 18. Once a kid is in foster care the state is the guardian and the parent can not prevent a placement.

Just in case anyone on this list ever wants to give a kid in foster care a home (as a foster parent or a guardian).

message 14: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I loved MARRY IN SCANDAL too! I loved how you put it Manda - not too angsty, not too frivolous, just right. I call those my quiet reads. Mary Balogh has a lot of those too. Just good stories that pull you in, keep you engaged but don't send you on an emotional roller coaster!

I treated myself on Mother's Day to Sarina Bowen's novella STUDLY PERIOD. She made it a serial that we received in our email every week, but I saved them all up to read together. I loved it! Made me miss Harkness and all the hockey players. I may need to do a re-read!

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Irisheyes wrote: "I loved MARRY IN SCANDAL too! I loved how you put it Manda - not too angsty, not too frivolous, just right. I call those my quiet reads. Mary Balogh has a lot of those too. Just good stories that p..."

I waited to read Studly Period too and I think I enjoyed it more because of it. I even contemplated waiting for it to come out in ebook, but I'm not that patient. It was so sweet and I loved how the conflict was resolved. So nice for the hero to not be a douchewaffle for a change.

message 16: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 398 comments I'm reading Hooked On You book 3 in the series, and am loving it! Looking forward to Making Up :D.

So, I haven't read Susan Mallery in 6 years according to my shelves. I read the 1st book in the Fool's Gold series and liked it enough (3 stars) to go on to the next, which was Ethan's book. He was so horrible that I quit with that series ha ha.

message 17: by Manda (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "I loved MARRY IN SCANDAL too! I loved how you put it Manda - not too angsty, not too frivolous, just right. I call those my quiet reads. Mary Balogh has a lot of those too. Just good stories that p..."

I was going to make the Balogh comparison, Irish! It was like Balogh but a smidgen sexier :)

Thanks for the reminder about Studly Period! I knew I'd missed something.

Speaking of newsletter stories, did you guys get the Lainie/Richard short in Lucy Parker's newsletter yesterday? It wasn't breaking any new ground but it was fun. With a cameo from Cat Richard :)

message 18: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments For all of you Rock Solid fans - Resurrection by Karina Bliss releases June 17th people!!!! So excited! Thought I would have to wait until August! Yay!

message 19: by Janga (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "For all of you Rock Solid fans - Resurrection by Karina Bliss releases June 17th people!!!! So excited! Thought I would have to wait until August! Yay!"

How did I miss this? It is certainly one of my most anticipated books of 2018. I. Can't. Wait!

message 20: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Manda wrote: "Irisheyes wrote: "I loved MARRY IN SCANDAL too! I loved how you put it Manda - not too angsty, not too frivolous, just right. I call those my quiet reads. Mary Balogh has a lot of those too. Just g..."

Thanks for the heads up Manda! i didn't even know LP did a newsletter. have remedied that ! Love the graphics on her website with the cartoon characters!

message 21: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments hey y'all! (said in my head like a texan would say it, but probably comes out in a muffled South African/ Aussie accent!)
Just saw that Spotless series of books by Camilla Monk is for free on Amazon! Stacey loved the books (i know I've been reading her reviews lol)
Not our usual romance fiction but they look like fun!

message 22: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "hey y'all! (said in my head like a texan would say it, but probably comes out in a muffled South African/ Aussie accent!)
Just saw that Spotless series of books by [author:Camilla M..."

This series is madcap but I absolutely LOVE IT!! I'm not sure how much longer it's free though. :-/