Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1)
This topic is about The Trials of Morrigan Crow
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Townsend Jessica; The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor #1); Informal Buddy Read; Starts 16 May 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31759 comments Mod

Synopsis
A cursed girl escapes death and finds herself in a magical world - but is then tested beyond her wildest imagination

Morrigan Crow is cursed. Having been born on Eventide, the unluckiest day for any child to be born, she's blamed for all local misfortunes, from hailstorms to heart attacks--and, worst of all, the curse means that Morrigan is doomed to die at midnight on her eleventh birthday.

But as Morrigan awaits her fate, a strange and remarkable man named Jupiter North appears. Chased by black-smoke hounds and shadowy hunters on horseback, he whisks her away into the safety of a secret, magical city called Nevermoor.

It's then that Morrigan discovers Jupiter has chosen her to contend for a place in the city's most prestigious organization: the Wundrous Society. In order to join, she must compete in four difficult and dangerous trials against hundreds of other children, each boasting an extraordinary talent that sets them apart - an extraordinary talent that Morrigan insists she does not have. To stay in the safety of Nevermoor for good, Morrigan will need to find a way to pass the tests - or she'll have to leave the city to confront her deadly fate

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14865 comments Mod
So this is one popular book! I've put on a reserve at the library. When were you wanting to start Chava?

Chava | 1398 comments so excited about this. This is my first buddy read, so please have patience :)

I will be "reading" this book via audiobook.
I am a Tower VI member (Minerva McGonagall) so if you are too, let us know. I hope we'll have fun with this one.

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, I just realise I do have the audio on my phone already. I had reserved it and it is available. LOL

I just need to finish my current book. Maybe start Wednesday?

Chava | 1398 comments cool!

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chava wrote: "so excited about this. This is my first buddy read, so please have patience :)

I will be "reading" this book via audiobook.
I am a Tower VI member (Minerva McGonagall) so if you are too, let us kn..."

All good! Just stop whenever you like and leave some comments. Just put where you are up to (hopefully there are chapter numbers!) and use spoiler tags if we need to.

I'm on Team Luna Lovegood :)

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just FYI - I've verified the wordcount with arbookfind as 89778 words. (as it is listed on GR as children's). Posting here so I remember to put this on my team completion post

Chava | 1398 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Just FYI - I've verified the wordcount with arbookfind as 89778 words. (as it is listed on GR as children's). Posting here so I remember to put this on my team completion post"

LOL I checked that yesterday as well before I found it at my local library. I am so committed, I even joined this library so I could borrow this book :) (it's my 8th library membership....getting slightly out of hand I think)

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

LOL

I "only" have 4 library memberships ; and then I have access to a 5th by using my mum's library details (her one charges if you don't live in the LGA).

I had it in my mind that I had this already on audio, and then I coldn't find it. Realised it was in one of the obscure audio apps that one of my libraries use and they have it listed as "Nevermoor" so it wasn't coming up on my search. amateurs. LOL

Chava | 1398 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "LOL

I "only" have 4 library memberships ; and then I have access to a 5th by using my mum's library details (her one charges if you don't live in the LGA).

I had it in my mind that I had this alr..."

I work across different parts of Melbourne, VIC. I go on library search and find where a book is that I want to read or listen to. I am not a fan of the apps. I have the BorrowBox app which most of the libraries here use. It has quite the selection, but I'm old school and prefer the audiobooks on cd. I even looked for a cd player as a pre-requisite when I bought my car last year. So many cars don't have them anymore!

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teehee
I Bluetooth from my phone to the car. I find CDs really annoying.! ;)

My libraries use overdrive, borrow box and RBDigital. But even those that use overdrive have different titles available. Same for borrowbox.
When all else fails I use my audible credits ;)

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "I "only" have 4 library memberships ; and then I have access to a 5th by using my mum's library details (her one charges if you don't live in the LGA)."

I used to do this until the SA library system changed...they linked all the libraries together so we can reserve anything from anywhere in the state!

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley wrote: "Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "I "only" have 4 library memberships ; and then I have access to a 5th by using my mum's library details (her one charges if you don't live in the LGA)."

I used to do this until th..."

Oh that's cool! Although, tbh, it often works in my favour as there seem to be very different readers at my libraries. One always has TONS of reserves on YA new releases ; and another has them sitting gathering dust. Really works for me when I need books for our BOMs. lol

Chava | 1398 comments It's the reason I have so many memberships. I can usually find it in one of them

Deanna | 2973 comments This looks like fun. Mind if I join in. (Team Flitwick). I can pick up and start Wednesday as well.

message 18: by Chava (last edited May 14, 2018 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chava | 1398 comments Yey Deanna!! Everyone is welcome.

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome Deanna!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1714 comments I'd also love to join! I'm on Team Hermione Granger so I'll be reading this for challenge points. :)

My library has a "sister system" so if my library doesn't have a book, it requests from libraries all over California. I get them from 100's of miles away. Naturally, that means sometimes 10 days or more if I'm not the first in the queue. I'm allowed 25 books from mine plus 5 from the Link+ (sister system) so I don't have to have different memberships. I so also belong to the San Francisco Library, which permits 100 books at a time but it's about an hour and 15 minute drive IF you don't get stuck in traffic. LOL

I also use Libby/Overdrive and as many Kindle Unlimited as I can, plus I have the Romance Package and the Audio Package. I guess I like books a little. LOL

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds like a great system Vicki!

Welcome aboard :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1714 comments Thanks, Karen. :)

Chava | 1398 comments as we are all on TT6, do we want to set ourselves a bit of a tempo to read (or listen to) this book? I was thinking maybe next Friday to be the final day, that gives us 10 days to finish?

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Works for me Chava. That’s just a bit over an hour a day. I may go a bit faster but I’ll put comments in spoiler tags

Chava | 1398 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Works for me Chava. That’s just a bit over an hour a day. I may go a bit faster but I’ll put comments in spoiler tags"

I might be faster too. I am offline for 3 days without access to the audiobook. However I think I'll have this finished before Fri next week.

Deanna | 2973 comments Chava wrote: "as we are all on TT6, do we want to set ourselves a bit of a tempo to read (or listen to) this book? I was thinking maybe next Friday to be the final day, that gives us 10 days to finish?"

That works for me as well.

Chava | 1398 comments Yey!! The book has chapters btw. I checked

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1714 comments I'd like to have this book finished by next Monday in order to use it for another challenge, and possibly sooner. But if I do read faster that the participants of this BR, I'll use spoilers and mark the chapters so you all know what to/not to read.

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapters 1-5

I'm in love.
Eeek!
So great to read a book that is, currently, living up to the hype and my expectations.

I'm really enjoying this world, and now as we move into Nevermoor, to see what it is all about.
And how cool is Jupiter North?! Kind of Willy Wonka cool.

I'm really intrigued to see what happens next... (view spoiler)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Hi guys, mind if I jump in on this buddy read also. A new credit just came available on my audible account and I have been thinking about reading/listening to this one for a while. I know most of you from other challenges already and of course my team Luna team mate Karen :-)

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome Nikk!

message 32: by Chava (last edited May 16, 2018 12:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chava | 1398 comments Chapters 1-4

Karen, you're a bit ahead of me. I am about to go into Nevermoor. I am enjoying the book so far too. I have the same questions as you (under the spoiler)! It is all very intriguing.

I do feel there are a lot of similarities with HP, anyone else feel that?

Chava | 1398 comments Vicki wrote: "I'd like to have this book finished by next Monday in order to use it for another challenge, and possibly sooner. But if I do read faster that the participants of this BR, I'll use spoilers and mar..."

Yeah, read as fast as you want. We're a friendly bunch here :)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Chava wrote: "Chapters 1-4

Karen, you're a bit ahead of me. I am about to go into Nevermoor. I am enjoying the book so far too. I have the same questions as you (under the spoiler)! It is all very intriguing.

..."

I am only up to chapter 3 so far and I must admit I initially started it without even reading the synopsis. That being said, I had heard there were some similarities to Harry Potter when i first started hearing about it before it came out or that it had at least been likened to harry Potter. Thoughts so far (view spoiler) Either way, I think this book has already intrigued me to want to continue on with it and I just caved and bought the kindle version also LOL

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 16, 2018 01:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hmmm
I was thinking about HP as I was listening because every middle grade book with magic gets compared to it, but I actually think it isn’t that similar atm. I like the originality and I really do like having a female protagonist. So keen to continue!

Chava | 1398 comments Yeah I like the female MC

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Chapters 1-5

I'm in love.
Eeek!
So great to read a book that is, currently, living up to the hype and my expectations.

I'm really enjoying this world, and now as we move into Nevermoor, to see wh..."

I am about to start chapter 8 and (view spoiler)

Chava | 1398 comments Chapter 8??? Awesome reading!!!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Chava wrote: "Chapter 8??? Awesome reading!!!" I have some time to kill before the shelf call for shelf bingo tomorrow :-P

Will probably only read another chapter or two at most then off to bed. I am already starting to wilt

Chava | 1398 comments Yeah 9pm is becoming my bedtime more and more since I hit 40.
Sleep well

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Joining in! Team Gilderoy Lockhart. This looks good!

Chava | 1398 comments Hi MelanieJoy. Welcome!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Welcome Melanie Joy!

Is anyone else finding this really really easy to read? I had only planned to read a couple more chapters last night but got caught up in the story and was nearly halfway before I went to bed. I will post some more of my thoughts (with spoilers) a little later but for now will wait for others to catch up. Really enjoying it so far though :-)

Chava | 1398 comments I have a bit of driving to do today and tomorrow, so hopefully will get a bit further too

message 45: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited May 19, 2018 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4705 comments Started this tonight. It's super cute so far and I agree with you Nikk on it being easy to read. I'm already at 13% after a few minutes. I can already tell that people seem to be pointing fingers and blame for convenience and conning money IMO. What a nasty little family so far too.

Deanna | 2973 comments I'm loving this book as well. I've made it through chapter 5 today. I think Karen caught most of my questions in her post. I would add (view spoiler)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4705 comments Deanna wrote: "I'm loving this book as well. I've made it through chapter 5 today. I think Karen caught most of my questions in her post. I would add [spoilers removed]"

Deanna!! Nice to see you here too :)

Chava | 1398 comments I am at chapter 10 and I am getting really excited about this book now. So much so that I got a hard copy from the library (I am listening to an audio book version so far).

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments That was me last night Chava. I was listening to the audio but ended up caving and buying the kindle version also :-P

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "I am about to start chapter 8..."

I just finished that chapter and I agree.
(view spoiler)

« previous 1