The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Eustace Diamonds (Palliser, #3)
This topic is about The Eustace Diamonds
The Trollope Project - Archives > The Eustace Diamonds May 13-19: Chapters 33-40

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frances (francesab) | 1934 comments Mod
We've reached the halfway mark in this novel-have we met a new heroine for our tale?

Lucy has moved in with Lady Linlithgow, and Lady Linlithgow turns out to be a very perceptive and plain spoken Lady indeed. I rather liked how she figured out Lucy's situation, and how clearly she understood all the machinations surrounding it, made clear in the letter she sent to Frank's mother. Do you think she was justified in sending that letter? Lady Linlithgow may turn out to be a very strong ally, or a very fierce enemy.

Once again, Trollope treats us to a wonderful demonstration of both the excitement and the fatigue of the hunt, and a very amusing aside when Frank inadvertently steals a horse.

Is Lucinda Roanoke our next heroine? What was your impression of her? What about Mrs Carbuncle, Lord George and Sir Griffin? What do you think of Lizzie's visitors?

How are you liking this novel so far, and how does it compare with the first 2 Palliser novels?

message 2: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1435 comments Mod
Lucinda seems interesting, and I'd like to learn more about her. She reminds me a bit of someone whose name I can't remember. I think it was in The Little House at Allington, a woman who was being painted by Johnny Eames's friend.

I don't know Lady Linlithgow's character well enough yet. Is she someone who is incapable of liking anyone? Or can she like and respect the right person? If it's the latter, she might take a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach to Lucy. That should be interesting.

Lord George may be a good match for Lizzie. Seems he's hiding something. All the better.

This book seems to be more heavy-going than the previous ones.

message 3: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2227 comments Mod
Lucinda reminds me of Griselda Grantley, the ice princess of the Barchester novels, who Palliser had a brief infatuation with. It's hard to imagine she could be a heroine, unless there is a lot more to her.

I really liked the hunt from Lizzie's point of view. The first day out reminds me of my experiences with outdoor sports or camping. It always rains, I don't know what I'm doing and I wish I had never gone. My favorite part of the second day is how Lizzie has her own competition going. She gets ahead of Lucinda and Lucinda falls in the water! And Lizzie admits that was as pleasurable as flying over the jumps. I also enjoyed the mixup with the horse.

message 4: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also thought of Griselda Grantley, however as I read on she seemed to be given more personality and something of an inner life. I worry for her-after she rejects/refuses to answer Sir Griffin in ch 39, Trollope writes

(Sir Griffin) had no idea of giving up the chase, but he thought that perhaps he would take it out of her when she became Lady Tewett.

This isn't the first time Trollope has referred to abusive husbands, and it speaks to how little chance women had to find out about their future husbands prior to choosing.

message 5: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori-I'm also thinking that Lady Linlithgow might be an interesting foil for Lizzie Eustace, and I'm also wondering about Lord George and his intentions towards Lizzie. The plot thickens!

message 6: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1435 comments Mod
Frances wrote: "I also thought of Griselda Grantley, however as I read on she seemed to be given more personality and something of an inner life. "

Yes, she has a personality and a brain, but is quiet because she can't fake interest in people she doesn't like, and it seems her aunt often brings her among people she cannot like. I hope she doesn't marry Sir Griffin. It seems like she and Madame Max would get along and become good friends if they had an opportunity to meet. I'm not sure what makes me think so.

message 7: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2227 comments Mod
Madame Max is like the heiress, Miss Dunstable, in the Barchester series. They are not at all reserved, often saying what is on their mind and not caring what society thinks. Lucinda also doesn't seem to care what people think, but she has none of their wit (that we have seen so far.) If she is going to be a heroine, we will need to get her point of view.

message 8: by Brian E (last edited May 26, 2018 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brian E Reynolds | 754 comments I agree with Lori that the Lucinda is a bit like Clara van Siever from Last Chronicle. When the whole group came into this story I was reminded of Trollope bringing in another side group of characters in the Conway Dalrymple group with Ms. VanSiever , Broughton and Musselboro. On reflection, though, that group was very tangential, tied to the main plot only by Conway, a friend of Johnny Eames. This group is more in with the main characters, like the Cheesacre/Bellfield side characters from Can You Forgive Her.
It all reminds me that Trollope needs the extra characters to pad the story to entertain longer, like a TV series filling a 22 episode rather than a 10 episode season. I go with it since I love Trollope's writing and observations, but it is padding, but that's not unusual with popular novels of the time.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 2939 comments Mod
I am still waiting for a heroine. Lizzie is the female character we see the most, but I like her the least. Lucinda is boring and Lucy seems to be out of sight, out of mind for Frank. If only she didn't love him so much, because I still think she is too good for him.

message 10: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick To borrow from the female chorus in The Pirates of Penzance:
Frank in this case is the target of the musical question (hint swap the pronouns):

"The question is, had he not been
A thing of beauty,
Would she be swayed by quite as keen
A sense of duty ? "

Lady E is a relative, a kissing cousin as we used to say and so has a loyalty claim on Frank. That she is also single, rich and beautiful obviously is part of the fun Trollope is having.
Kiss her he may, but his affections are elsewhere. We may hate him for being susceptible, but in this take it is clear by now that Cousin Cousine will not a match make.

He has by now realized that Lady E is a bunch of hard work, hardly worth the diamonds she hates.
Lucy is very good at being pitiful, and I am sure will be a nice wife giving someone with income a nice home and a nice life with nice children everything is quite correct.(too-loo-ral-lay)

message 11: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 2939 comments Mod
You are so right about Lucy!