Play Book Tag discussion

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour
This topic is about To Rise Again at a Decent Hour
May 2018: Family Drama > (Decathlon) To Rise Again at a Decent Hour - Joshua Ferris - 3 stars but not really sure

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited May 13, 2018 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I am not quite sure how I feel about this book so I am going to break this review down a bit.

Its about a Dentist that is lost. He is searching or fulfillment and meaning. Then his online identity (website, twitter, email) is stolen by someone. He is telling the dentist that he a decent from the Amalekites from the bible, though the bible says the Amalekites were eradicated....I'll stop there.

What I liked: It was quirky. I liked how Ferris wrote the dialog. It would go something like this

And she said (put what she said)
Then I responded (without telling us what he said)
And then she said (we deduce his response from what she says back)

I like that his introspection is slightly different than his interaction with people. I loved the baseball (Red Sox). I loved the idea to be a real Red Sox fan, you have be the underdog that never wins, and the Sox winning the World Series took his identity as a Red Sox fan away. I loved learning about Judiasm and Jewish culture. It was very interesting. And I enjoyed the brief bible lesson about the Jews vs the Amalekites.

Why Family Drama: The family drama are side stories, but they are there, mainly later in the book. The struggle of going against your parents based of religious beliefs.

Why I'm confused how to rate this book: I feel like Ferris was trying to say something, there was a message in this book, but I have no idea what it was. I feel like I missed something very important. Religion plays a large role in this book, but I'm not sure what role? Maybe the role of belonging? I finished this book enjoying it, but being confused.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I now see that your post title is similar to mine!

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I totally know what you are saying in the last paragraph of your review! I have books that left me feeling confused, like there was something epic there that I just wasn't smart enough to catch on to.

These are not my favorite books. Sometimes I think I would like them more if I sat down, slowed my reading pace, and really put deep thought into the authors language and word choice. But, to me, that is the opposite of enjoyable reading. I want a book to make me think without making me study.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Nicole R wrote: "I totally know what you are saying in the last paragraph of your review! I have books that left me feeling confused, like there was something epic there that I just wasn't smart enough to catch on ..."

I did put deep thought into the book and was still confused. I read other reviews. Charlie Ravioli really enjoyed the book, giving it 5 stars. His review is great and we captured the same thing in the book, but he didn't explain anything I felt I missed, so I'm still left feeling confused. Almost like a joke that you don't get. But the reviews for this book weren't great overall. There were those that loved it and many who didn't. 3.08 rating on Goodreads.