Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Monday Puzzler - May 14, 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cvenable16) | 136 comments There was probably something really wrong with him, but seeing Dr. Heroine holding a slimy newborn calf in her lap, blood, mud and worse on her crazy fake Uggs, made Hero fall a little more in love with her.

He was, however, a little concerned about her mental state at the moment.

She looked frozen, her mouth in a little O, her hands up in the air, as she stared at the calf lying across her thighs.

The calf was probably about seventy pounds and had immediately started squirming, so Hero quickly scooped it up and laid it on the grass.

Heroine scrambled to her feet, looking a bit shell-shocked.

“You okay?” he asked, stripping his gloves off.

Heroine continued to stare at the calf as the newborn began struggling to get his legs under him to stand. It would take him a few tries, but amazingly, he’d accomplish it.

Hero peeled Heroine’s gloves off her hands as well. “Heroine?” He squeezed her hands and moved in front of her, blocking her view of the baby cow.

She blinked up at him.

“You okay?” he repeated. He didn’t think she was actually hurt, though that was no baby kitten that had landed on her. Still, it was more likely she was processing the blood, guts and other stuff. Because it wasn’t just on her boots.

“This is…”

He braced himself as she trailed off. Her help really had been valuable. He probably could have repositioned and pulled the calf himself, but having two people made it easier on everyone including the baby and mamma cow But it was messy business. Perhaps the calving might have just been too much.

Hell, he should have started with this a few days ago rather than river parties and sex in a truck. This would have scared her off right away.

He was damned glad he hadn’t started with this.

He took her upper arms in his hands and bent to look her in the eye. “Thank you for doing this with me. I know this is…a lot. This is something some girls who’ve grown up around here wouldn’t be able to handle.”

She seemed to shake herself at that. She took a deep breath and shrugged out of his grasp.

“I’m handling it just fine.”

“You look a little….dazed.”

“I’ve never seen anything be born before.” Her gaze flickered past him to where the calf and his mother were.

Her eyes widened and Hero turned to find the baby on his feet. He was wobbly, but he was up. His mother was licking him, cleaning him up and getting to know him.

Hero glanced back at Heroine. “Kind of cool, isn’t it?” he asked.

She didn’t have to think it was cool. She didn’t have to ever help with it again. But for some stupid reason he hoped she’d agree.

“It’s….”

Again he felt himself brace for her answer.

“It’s a big problem.”

Dammit.

He sighed. “Okay. No more blood and guts.”

She frowned at him. “The blood and guts aren’t the problem.”

“The ruined boots?”

She looked down. “Dammit,” she muttered. Then she looked back up at Hero. “It’s a big problem because this is the dirtiest I’ve ever been, that was the grossest thing I’ve ever done, and I will now never be able to eat beef again. An I like filet mignon And a good cheeseburger once in a while. I’ve even eaten, and enjoyed, veal. And I still love it here!”

Hero wasn’t going to smile. He couldn’t.

But she still loved it here. She wanted to stay.

He felt like crowing like a damned rooster.

message 2: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments oooh this seems familiar!

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
I have a guess but I think it's wrong.

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
I have no idea

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments It seems familiar but I couldn't name it for the life of me.

message 6: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm clueless.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments I know I read this a while ago. I recognized it from the first sentence and it is driving me CRAZY that I can't place the author/title.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1044 comments SO, does Hero buy her some real UGGs to replace the ruined ones??

message 9: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I'm with you, Nicole, that first sentence is ringing a bell with me but I can't place it.

message 10: by Twiggy53 (new)

Twiggy53 (shellgame50) | 6 comments I think I know this one, but can't place it. Can't wait to find out what it is.

message 11: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 398 comments oh this seems familiar but I don't know it either

message 12: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cvenable16) | 136 comments Getting Dirty by Erin Nicholas is this weeks puzzler answer.

Curious if anyone has read this series......

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments I would have sworn I had read this from the excerpt but instead I found it in my tbr file. Must either be similar to one I have read or this was the original excerpt that made me want to read it. Looks like it’s time to finally pick it up!

message 14: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I've read Getting Wrapped Up: A Sapphire Falls Holiday Bundle and several others in different series, including Hitched, part of the Promise Harbor multi-author series in which Meg Benjamin, an autobuy for me, participated. You are the second person recently to recommend her.

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments It seemed so familiar, maybe I have read that excerpt or something like it before???

message 16: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
Cheri wrote: "Getting Dirty by Erin Nicholas is this weeks puzzler answer.

Curious if anyone has read this series......"

I have read Nicholas but not this series. She's good!