Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Aubyn St. ,Edward--Never Mind informal buddy read starts May 14, 2018

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31760 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Never Mind by Edward St. Aubyn.

Synopsis
At his mother’s family house in the south of France, Patrick Melrose has the run of a magical garden. Bravely imaginative and self-sufficient, five-year-old Patrick encounters the volatile lives of adults with care. His father, David, rules with considered cruelty, and Eleanor, his mother, has retreated into drink. They are expecting guests for dinner. But this afternoon is unlike the chain of summer days before, and the shocking events that precede the guests’ arrival tear Patrick’s world in two.

Never Mind was originally published, along with Bad News and Some Hope, as part of a three book omnibus , also called Some Hope.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’m here! Looking forward to discussing.

Team Draco!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Initial thoughts! Interesting writing style. Descriptive and the characters are intense. I can tell I will not like David. At all.

I struggle with books full of terrible people. I hope this isn’t the case here.

message 6: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I've read up to the fourth chapter. It is definitely interesting but this book is seriously full of terrible characters.

And all of the couples are younger women with way older men?

And seriously what was that scene with David making Elaine eat off the plate like a dog because she didn't have good conversation.

Looks like this is going to be a messed up childhood for Patrick!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments You are going to be really disturbed I think. I can totally see why Patrick is messed up.

David is just awful! I made myself stop last night to get some sleep. Im on the app so I can’t spoiler tag, but I’ll come back tonight. I keep thinking we are going to find out he’s a serial killer or something. He’s just that bad.

You know, I hadn’t caught the older man younger woman dynamic, but you’re right. Strange.

I will finish up either on my lunch today or when I get home tonight. I’m not sure if I’ll read the next book yet!

message 8: by Michelle (last edited May 14, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Ok, jumped on my computer to quickly spoiler this in case others want to join us. Getting ready to start chapter 10.

You might not want to read this until you get to the part with the fig tree.
(view spoiler)

No wonder she's a drunk.

Oh, and it's her money. I would just leave.

message 9: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Michelle wrote: "Ok, jumped on my computer to quickly spoiler this in case others want to join us. Getting ready to start chapter 10.

You might not want to read this until you get to the part with the fig tree.
[s..."

You are so far in already!

I'm starting reading again now.

message 10: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Exactly I don't understand why she doesn't leave?

Both of her husbands' choices were ridiculous!

message 11: by Karishma (last edited May 14, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I just came to the part about the fig tree, I thought it happened in the present, but it was in the initial stages of their relationship! (view spoiler) WTF is wrong with this guy? He seems like a complete sadist.

You know, I hadn’t caught the older man younger woman dynamic, but you’re right. Strange.

And not only that it's like all the women are going gaga over them. So many wives, so many girlfriends, strange!

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Chapter 7

(view spoiler)

I mean what is this series? Where is the author's mind trying to take us to? His own 5-year-old child!

I doubt I'm going to read the rest of the series!

message 13: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Ok so I just found out that is meant to be autobiographical!

message 14: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Finished! Waiting to hear your opinions on it!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Almost done! I had to set it aside because it upset me so much about the scene with Patrick and his father. This series is messed up!

Finishing up now.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments The whole dinner party is messed up!
(view spoiler)

Anne is the only sane one in the bunch.

I did like this quote: "In the end one must oppose cruelty, at the very least by refusing to take part in it."

message 17: by Michelle (last edited May 14, 2018 10:42PM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments And I was really pulling for Bridget, but she is just as messed up as the rest of them. Girl, go to the village church!

I really don't know what to think of this book. I want to watch the series, but I'm a little taken aback by the awfulness of his family life.

I hated the characters, but the writing is good. Maybe 2 stars?

message 18: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Sorry!

I gave it one.

Do you want to read something nice together after this?

Promise I wouldn't disappear again.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I was so disturbed by this book that I won't read the next one unless it fits a challenge. But I would love to read something else together!

What do you have up next? I'm reading Lilac Girls for BOM and The Good Daughter. But I'm always looking for another recommendation.

message 20: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I don't want to read the next one either.

Did you see the first episode of the show?

I am going through our common books or do you have an ASAP shelf?

message 21: by Karishma (last edited May 20, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Can you read the Kate Daniel Series?

Or from common books-
The Bear and the Nightingale
A Darker Shade of Magic
Julia Quinn
Lisa Kleypas
Loretta Chase( A duke in shining armor is wonderful)

Or,
Reread The Princess Bride

message 22: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Julie Garwood

message 23: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) The Scandalous Dissolute no good Mr Wright

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I would be down for any of those. I love historical romance, so any of those authors would be fine with me. I'll read them anyway!

Maybe the Bear and the Nightingale too. That one looks really interesting.

Have you read any Kate Daniels? I haven't started yet but I really want to during this challenge. I would have to start with book 1.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Oh, I saw you might want to start Cold-Hearted Rake for those Lisa Kleypas BRs. I will do that one with you this week!

message 26: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Michelle wrote: "I would be down for any of those. I love historical romance, so any of those authors would be fine with me. I'll read them anyway!

Maybe the Bear and the Nightingale too. That one looks really int..."

I'm starting Kate Daniels on the 22nd in another buddy read in another group.

Can you start by then, I will be starting with the first book only.

If yes please do request a thread.

message 27: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I really really wanna do some historical romances too as and when we get time.

Most of these books will be rereads for me - I have read them 5-6 years ago and was looking forward to reading them again.

I will be travelling for a month now so I will not be able to put in spoiler tags.

If that is ok with you (I will wait till you reach the point before saying anything spoilery of course) please request threads for any book of your choice amongst the mentioned authors.

message 28: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) After all this is over we can do the Bear and the Nightingale :PPPP

message 29: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Michelle wrote: "Oh, I saw you might want to start Cold-Hearted Rake for those Lisa Kleypas BRs. I will do that one with you this week!"

Yes let's do that!

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I requested the thread for Cold Hearted Rake for us.

I think the Kate Daniels threads are already set up? I'll go hunting. I can start both of those this week.

message 31: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Michelle wrote: "I requested the thread for Cold Hearted Rake for us.

I think the Kate Daniels threads are already set up? I'll go hunting. I can start both of those this week."

Yes I just saw the Kate Daniels one!

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Let's plan on both of those this week if you can fit it into your reading!

message 33: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Michelle wrote: "Let's plan on both of those this week if you can fit it into your reading!"

I can - I don't have anything fixed lined up in the next 20 days but like I said above it will not be spoiler free.