Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
Margaret Atwood Collection > The Handmaid's Tale-NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
The Handmaid's Tale is our August 2014 New School read. This thread is for general book discussion, Please try and avoid Spoilers. This is a NO Spoiler thread.

message 2: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I LOVE this book! I have the Audible Signatures edition narrated by Claire Danes. Plan on listening to this!

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 39 comments I have read this three times over the years. Love it!

message 4: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Me, too! Except it reminds me of the Republicans a little too much.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 39 comments Too funny Kirsten!

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I have never read this and am excited to FINALLY read it next month!

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
So the first stone is cast. Remember this book is set in Boston, Massachusetts, where the early residents (Town Meeting Democrats) burned women as witches.

Glenna | 69 comments I read this a few months ago. I felt when reading that this could possibly happen when you let big government start dictating/controlling lives of civilians. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:23PM) (new)

General Author, Book and Awards Overview:

Canadian author Margaret Atwood was born in Ottawa, Ontario, on November 18, 1939. She received degrees from Radcliffe College and Harvard University, and pursued a career in teaching at the university level. Her first novel, The Edible Woman, was published in 1969 and was well received.

The Handmaid's Tale was originally published in 1985 and is considered to be a dystopian novel within the science fiction genre. The Handmaid's Tale won the 1985 Governor General's Award and the first Arthur C. Clarke Award in 1987 and was nominated for the 1986 Nebula Award, the 1986 Booker Prize, and the 1987 Prometheus Award.

Factoids:

Dystopia defined: A society characterized by a focus on mass poverty, squalor, suffering, or oppression, that society has most often brought upon itself.

The American Library Association (ALA) lists The Handmaid's Tale as number 37 on the "100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–2000". Issues & Advocacy (ALA)

Miriam | 32 comments I am looking forward to reading this with you guys. I will start it this week. "The Handmaid's Tale" will be my first Margaret Atwood read and I am super excited!

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9329 comments Mod
Enjoyed this book a while back. Should make for a great discussion.

message 12: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Miriam wrote: "I am looking forward to reading this with you guys. I will start it this week. "The Handmaid's Tale" will be my first Margaret Atwood read and I am super excited!"

Good for you! Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite authors.

Do you use Twitter? Margaret is pretty active there. I'd bet she'd answer questions.

Miriam | 32 comments Kirsten wrote: "Miriam wrote: "I am looking forward to reading this with you guys. I will start it this week. "The Handmaid's Tale" will be my first Margaret Atwood read and I am super excited!"

Good for you! Mar..."

No, I do not, but I might have to get it now! :) I am starting on the book tonight and will let you guys know what I think!

Renato (renatomrocha) I'll be reading this one, but I think I'll only start it after the 18th.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 11, 2014 02:34PM) (new)

Edited:

Although my comment and Happy Endings does not technically contain spoilers specific to The Handmaid's Tale, members may choose to refrain from reading until they have finished our group read as it does comment on Atwood's writing style.

Thanks for posting the clickety-click Matt. That would make a wonderful writing exercise to begin with scenario "A" and write multiple versions.

There is much validity to this piece, although the statement about there only being one type of authentic ending is dark. Most of us can spot a spurious ending, or maybe I should say we feel it, as the ending just does not sit right with us. Having said that, some readers want the opposite, which is an escape from reality. That type of novel sometimes includes an ending with an air of inauthenticity but perhaps that is what the reader craves on occasion. (Please understand this statement is partially based on my personal reading habits as sometimes I need a "light" or even slightly sappy book to offset a previously read novel that was written in dark or more realistic tone.)

Happy Endings really is a great representation of Atwood's approach to writing. I am glad you gave us the opportunity to read it Matt.

message 16: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 7 comments Thanks Lisa!!

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
The Handmaids Tale is our February 2017 Revisit the Shelf Reread, this is the No Spoiler Thread. Happy reading!

Ellen B I'm planning to read this with you all this month. Probably won't help my dark mood, but I am curious about it.

Christine | 1218 comments This book is excellent. I really hope I will be able to find time for a reread with the group this month.

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 31 comments I read this so long ago that I no longer remember it, though I do remember being let's say, seriously dismayed. I've meant to re-read it for a long time. Now's my chance. I'll be starting it today.

Laurie | 1605 comments I just read this for the second time. The first time was 30 years ago. Then I wasn't impressed. This time I thought it was pretty awesome. So I have apparently gained enough wisdom with age to see that this is not some unrealistic scenario but rather a scary possibility to me now.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be starting this tomorrow and it will be my first Margaret Atwood novel. I thought that over the years I had read widely but this group keeps coming up with writers who, for one reason or another, I have not read but should have. I love this group.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments I had like to read it this month too..

message 24: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 31 comments Judy wrote: "I read this so long ago that I no longer remember it,"
Well, I was wrong. I had not read this one before. I have now finished it, in three days. I loved the writing. Attwood's language is so spare and lucid it kept reminding me of a watercolor wash: a bit more of the picture emerges with each pass over a given event or memory. Beautiful writing!

Janice (JG) | 104 comments Did someone already mention this? Hulu is producing an original 10 episode series of The Handmaid's Tale, which begins in April, I believe. I have never subscribed to Hulu, never felt it was necessary, but this might just push me over the edge.

Here's a link to IMDB's trailers & cast - Elizabeth Moss (from Mad Men) plays Offred.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834204/

Christine | 1218 comments Janice(JG) wrote: "Did someone already mention this? Hulu is producing an original 10 episode series of The Handmaid's Tale, which begins in April, I believe. I have never subscribed to Hulu, never felt it was necess..."

I will be subscribing to Hulu just so I can watch this show! I can't wait to check it out.

Tiffany Janice(JG) wrote: "Did someone already mention this? Hulu is producing an original 10 episode series of The Handmaid's Tale, which begins in April, I believe. I have never subscribed to Hulu, never felt it was necess..."

I already had this book on my to-read list for 2017, and the timing of my request being fulfilled by my library coincided with this group's reading, so I was going to join in the group read. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up my copy in time, so I went back on the 40-person waiting list! I couldn't figure out why there was suddenly so much interest in this book until I saw the commercial for the show yesterday!

Pamela Shropshire (pswap57) | 48 comments I am reading this book for the first time. I was caught up in it right away and found it hard to put down when it was bed-time. Love the writing style - I feel the author communicates to the reader as much by what she doesn't say as by what she does, IYKWIM.

message 29: by Luella (last edited Jul 04, 2017 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luella | 5 comments Lisa A. ✿ wrote: "General Author, Book and Awards Overview:

Canadian author Margaret Atwood was born in Ottawa, Ontario, on November 18, 1939. She received degrees from Radcliffe College and Harvard University, and..."

I wonder of its been "Banned in Boston. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_...

Also how come there was a banned with writing for the Prayer meeting if reading is no longer allowed? Shouldn't it have been pictures like everything else?

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1470 comments Valerie and J_BlueFlower will be buddy reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. Please join, if you like:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Handmaid's Tale (other topics)