Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Good Daughter (Good Daughter, #1)
This topic is about The Good Daughter
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Slaughter, Karin--The Good Daughter informal buddy read starts May 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter.

width="300"/>

Synopsis
The stunning new novel from the international #1 bestselling author — a searing, spellbinding blend of cold-case thriller and psychological suspense.

Two girls are forced into the woods at gunpoint. One runs for her life. One is left behind…

Twenty-eight years ago, Charlotte and Samantha Quinn's happy small-town family life was torn apart by a terrifying attack on their family home. It left their mother dead. It left their father — Pikeville's notorious defense attorney — devastated. And it left the family fractured beyond repair, consumed by secrets from that terrible night.

Twenty-eight years later, and Charlie has followed in her father's footsteps to become a lawyer herself — the ideal good daughter. But when violence comes to Pikeville again — and a shocking tragedy leaves the whole town traumatized — Charlie is plunged into a nightmare. Not only is she the first witness on the scene, but it's a case that unleashes the terrible memories she's spent so long trying to suppress. Because the shocking truth about the crime that destroyed her family nearly thirty years ago won't stay buried forever…

Packed with twists and turns, brimming with emotion and heart, The Good Daughter is fiction at its most thrilling

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Oh me! In for Team Draco!!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Have the book in hand and ready to start in a few days :)

Anja Vuković | 106 comments My book is all ready to start as well :) Have you read anything by the author yet? I believe I've read Pretty Girls when they came out but don't remember much about the book itself (the problem with reading so many books per year I guess).

Snowtulip | 4553 comments This will be my first book by this author, but it seems like a great book to start with :)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments First one for me as well!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Hope you don't mind if I join. I'm reading for Team Hermione Granger. I have quite a few Karin Slaughter books that I bought at a HUGE book sale, but I haven't read her yet (I don't think), and I had to borrow this book but I'm ready to start it today after hubs goes to work.

Fingers crossed we all love it!

message 10: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise | 2758 comments I think I've got this in hand

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Just got home and am going to be starting after dinner :)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Starting tonight!

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 612 comments I just saw you guys are doing this buddy read! I picked up a copy of this book when it first came out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

message 14: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Vuković | 106 comments I managed to read first three chapters yesterday before bed time.

Description of past events and school shooting was a bit too detailed for me as I usually prefer more psychological mysteries. I like the beginning and am very curious what really happened between Charlie and her husband. Sam was not mentioned much in the beginning, and I wonder what happened to her.

The police officers' reaction to school shooting was disturbing. I've heard and read about police violence in US, but is it really that common?

message 15: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Vuković | 106 comments Erin wrote: "I just saw you guys are doing this buddy read! I picked up a copy of this book when it first came out, but haven't gotten around to it yet."

Welcome to the party :)

message 16: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited May 15, 2018 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I LOVE Karin Slaughter's Grant County and Will Trent - I'd really like to buddy read this one, hopefully I can fit it in somewhere. Too many books, too little time.

PS I'm on Team Luna Lovegood

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4701 comments It sounds interesting! I think I have a copy of this somewhere - let me doublecheck when I get home and I may join in

Team Hermione Granger

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I LOVE Karin Slaughter's Grant County and Will Trent - I'd really like to buddy read this one, hopefully I can fit it in somewhere. Too many books, too little time.

PS I'm on Team Luna Lovegood"

For those of us who are book addicts, that is an understatement! LOL It is so hard to juggle ALL the books/buddy reads/challenges/library books due, etc. But it's also so fun!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4701 comments Okay I found it - looks like I was right and I purchased this e-book on sale last year :) Will be joining in.

I have several Karen Slaughter books but don't think I've actually read anything by her yet.

message 20: by Snowtulip (last edited May 16, 2018 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I ended up reading more than I thought I would last night, then I had to switch books right before going to sleep (Harry Potter), so I could have good images in my head :D

Through Chapter 4, (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Anja wrote: "I managed to read first three chapters yesterday before bed time.

Description of past events and school shooting was a bit too detailed for me as I usually prefer more psychological mysteries. I ..."

Those officer's made my blood boil! So did Huck, grumble, grumble...

message 22: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 612 comments Anja wrote: "I managed to read first three chapters yesterday before bed time.

Description of past events and school shooting was a bit too detailed for me as I usually prefer more psychological mysteries. I ..."

I love Karin Slaughter, but I do feel like her books need to come with a warning sometimes- usually a lot of violence, especially violence against women, and it can get graphic. But I like that she shows how different women fight back against their abusers and recover from trauma. But it's not always for everyone

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Yes, I find the forensics and crime details in a KS book pretty disturbing. But she writes the characters so well, that's what keeps me reading.

message 24: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 612 comments Chapters 1-4
(view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Finally, I'll be able to start this one today/tonight if my eyes hold out. I'm working on a couple other books first, then I'll be back to post later.

Is everyone enjoying this one so far?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I'll be starting today.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Erin wrote: "Chapters 1-4
I was pretty much drawn in from the opening chapter- it seems like a really difficult family to be a part of, but they do seem to really care for each other. I hope we find out what h..."

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 612 comments Vicki wrote: "Finally, I'll be able to start this one today/tonight if my eyes hold out. I'm working on a couple other books first, then I'll be back to post later.

Is everyone enjoying this one so far?"

I'm really liking it so far- it's really addictive. Luckily I have most of tomorrow off, so I spend a lot of time reading.

@Snowtulip (view spoiler)

message 29: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Vuković | 106 comments Erin wrote: "I love Karin Slaughter, but I do feel like her books need to come with a warning sometimes- usually a lot of violence, especially violence against women, and it can get graphic. But I like that she shows how different women fight back against their abusers and recover from trauma. But it's not always for everyone"

I admit I skimmed through some of those scenes. If the author puts them in the book there's probably a reason but I don't like reading too detailed descriptions of that kind of actions so I just get through them really quickly.

message 30: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Vuković | 106 comments Vicki wrote: "Finally, I'll be able to start this one today/tonight if my eyes hold out. I'm working on a couple other books first, then I'll be back to post later.

Is everyone enjoying this one so far?"

I finished it last night after staying up way past my bed time when things started to unravel and I just couldn't put it down. It's a good book, the only thing that bothered me were a bit too detailed scenes but that's a personal taste. Good luck with the book :)

message 31: by Anja (last edited May 17, 2018 11:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Vuković | 106 comments Snowtulip wrote: "I'm having mixed feelings about Charlie right now"

Yeah, she annoyed me quite a lot in the beginning of the book as well (view spoiler)

message 32: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Vuković | 106 comments Chapter 7 ->

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Anja wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Finally, I'll be able to start this one today/tonight if my eyes hold out. I'm working on a couple other books first, then I'll be back to post later.

Is everyone enjoying this one ..."

That's what I did last night, stayed up way to late to finish, but I just wanted to see what happened!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Anja wrote: "Chapter 7 ->

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I finished last night and I really liked it. The characters were flawed, yet relatable and I really had some emotional commitment into a few of the characters.

(view spoiler)

It kept me intrigued and wanted to know more about this family's history as well as the case that was going on. I think I'll have to read another book by this author!

Vicki Willis | 404 comments I just got notice that my library has this one for me!
I will be starting this weekend and get caught up.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments If you want to read more Karin Slaughter I really recommend her series Grant County and then following on with Will Trent. Gruesome murders and forensics but balanced with amazingly interesting and flawed characters.

message 38: by Vicki (last edited May 18, 2018 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Thanks for your input everyone. I get encouraged when others like a book, but it doesn't always matter.

I thought I had the book already but got ready to read it and listen to the audio at the same time but I don't have the book. I really don't like listening to the audio without seeing things like characters' names and how they're spelled (I am a retired English teacher) and names of cities, and so on. But I went ahead and started listening to it out of curiosity and now I am hooked! I'm in the What Happened to Samantha section but I have no idea how many pages long it is or where I am but GR says it's 656 pages and I am at 3% so about page 20 and I am HOOKED!

Just a couple comments for now

Samantha and Charlotte (view spoiler)

I believe it is set in 1989 if I remember correctly and I remember back then, even in California where I live and it's pretty liberal, there was a lot of racism. So I can definitely see and believe that there would be bigots like those who (view spoiler)

Oh no! (view spoiler)

Zach: (view spoiler)

Okay, I have to go listen...be back later.

message 39: by Vicki (last edited May 18, 2018 09:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "If you want to read more Karin Slaughter I really recommend her series Grant County and then following on with Will Trent. Gruesome murders and forensics but balanced with amazingly interesting and..."

Hey, Miss Aussie Girl, thank you for your recommendation. I'm wondering why do you suggest the Grant County first or does it matter? I know I have the first book of the Will Trent series but not sure about the Grant County series.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Chapters 1-3

Charlie: If anything, I would have thought that (view spoiler)

Kelley Wilson: (view spoiler)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4701 comments Not sure how much I'll get done this weekend, but starting this one today as well as a few others. Excited - it looks good and I'm hoping I like Karen Slaughter considering how many books she has out there. Would be nice to find a new favorite author.

message 42: by Kaley (new) - added it

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1421 comments Hopping in from Team Bellatrix Lestrange for this one for the TT challenge! Just got the audio in from my library so I’ll be ready to go probably tomorrow or Monday!

This will *kind of* be my first from this author. I started Pretty Girls once but never finished it. Not for the lack of interest, but I was trying to work on a few books at once and the others dabbed my attention more so I eventually just dropped it.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "If you want to read more Karin Slaughter I really recommend her series Grant County and then following on with Will Trent. Gruesome murders and forensics but balanced with amazingly interesting and..."

Oh, thanks, I'll definitely add those!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Vicki wrote: "Chapters 1-3

Charlie: If anything, I would have thought that [spoilers removed]Kelley Wilson: [spoilers removed]"

I had the same thought about Charlie, wasn't sure why she went that route instead.

Vicki Willis | 404 comments Chapters 1-4
I didn't realize this was about (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 404 comments @Erin, Snowtulip and Vicki

Chapters 1-4
(view spoiler)

What do you think?

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Oh Vicki, I can't wait until you get further to see the answers to those questions ;)

I have to admit that these characters all kept me on my toes!

Suzanne | 4262 comments I'll be joining this, but I have a book or two to finish first. I hate when all the library holds come in at once! I own this one though, and hope to read it soon and discuss with everyone.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4701 comments Sorry Vicki, didn't get to that part just quite yet so I'll wait to answer when I finally get a little more reading time in ;0)

message 50: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited May 19, 2018 10:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Just finished the first section... Karin Slaughter writes so descriptively it was chilling. Intriguing set up for what is to come.

Chapters 1-2

(view spoiler)

Definitely catching my interest so far.

« previous 1 3