Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Crimson Lake (Crimson Lake, #1)
This topic is about Crimson Lake
Group Read - Crimson Lake > Group Read - Crimson Lake 0% to 33% Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited May 14, 2018 10:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments This thread is to discuss Candice Fox's Crimson Lake. Chapters 1 to 33% in or Kindle pages 1 to 121.
If the first to post, please briefly summarize to guide the discussion. Spoilers welcome on this thread.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments You have to love a Prologue where a man wrestles with suicide and instead rescues a mother goose and babies. The man is reluctant to have his last name known. Conkaffey, not Collins.
Chapters are identified by breaks, so lets discuss the first third of the book here. We meet Ted Conkaffey and his lawyer Sean; Ted on his back porch and Sean bearing gifts, and divorce settlement news from Kelly.
Sean suggests Ted check out "a girl in town" Amanda Pharrell.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Reluctantly Ted does check out the woman, Amanda is a local private investigator with an offer of work for Ted investigating for her and perhaps letting her dig into his case.
Ted it seems, fresh from an eight month stint in prison is an accused child molester and former cop; abandoned by family, friends and former co-workers and still on the hook for the crime if more evidence surfaces.
Amanda, also formerly in prison is a convicted murderer and quite a character. Her perspective on incarceration is more pragmatic due to time and space. She and Ted seem to be oil and water. If Amanda is water, Ted really needs to drink though, she is a lifeline he can't ignore.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Amanda's current client is Stella, seeking resolution of her husband Jake's disappearance. Jake's wedding ring turned up in a local crocodile and we learn quite a bit about these fearsome creatures as Amanda and Ted investigate his likely death.
The local cops are not friendly and Jake seems to have led a double life.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Ted is terrified to find he has a reporter after him. He meets the medical examiner and asks for Dr. Valerie Gratteur’s opinion on whether Jake Scully is dead; he is. The remains in the crocodile included a hip bone.
They are there when Stella Scully is to be informed.
Amanda and the police chief have a history regarding her case. Ted briefly comforts Harrison Scully, Stella and Jake’s teenage son.

Geri Great summary Ann! It’s been a few months and I can remember most of the story now.

One of the best things about this book for me were the main characters. So flawed and complicated but I really liked them both immediately. I wanted to know if they had done the things they were accused of.

You hit it on the head when you wrote that Ted needed Amanda.

The case they were working on was secondary for me because I found theMCs so interesting!

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Geri: i loved the Ted and Amanda characters too, their back stories are fascinating and I was immediately hooked. The way Candice Fox reveals details is very skillfully done.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1237 comments Thanks for the summaries Ann.

Like Geri, the characters are my main interest so far. The missing author plot has not yet engaged me but I am interested in how Ted and Amanda work together.

I hope the medical examiner has more page time too. I enjoyed how she handled Ted.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Sandi: Ted really needed a friend when he met the medical examiner, I like her too.

message 10: by Russ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Russ | 339 comments Off to an excellent start. I agree with all the comments above. The memories of Ted's trial are revealed in a very skillful, organic way. He's a very sympathetic character. The descriptions of Australia's north are very lush and isolated and makes me think of the Florida everglades.

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Russ: Glad you are enjoying the book too. I agree, the method Candice Fox employed to reveal details about Ted and Amanda is very organic and effective. It really draws in the reader.

Ceelee | 211 comments This is a great book! I loved Ted's adoption of Woman and her babies! That was super! The book for me is so quirky, odd and yet bittersweet and sad all at the same time! I really picked up on Ted's sadness and loneliness and saw the scene in black and white until he saw Amanda and went over and talked to her for the first time, and it was like the stage lit up and everything appeared in Technicolor brightness. YES! Ted does need Amanda and I think she needs him too, even though she would never admit it. Oh my gosh, what a character is our Amanda! I could see somebody like Kathy Bates playing her in the movie! I hope it ends up that neither are guilty of their crimes. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean you will be accepted back into society when you have been acquitted so I think they will always be outsiders. They are a couple of great characters. I also like how Fox has handled the back story. It feels quite realistic to do it the way she has presented the details. The nightmares about the trial for Ted and Ted reading the book about Amanda's case! Very clever!
I really like the cover art on my copy too. It really does look like a shimmering lake especially when i hold it up to the sunlight. I was a little unsettled by the lack of chapter numbers or at least headings but that is OK because the story is so good. I really like the medical examiner too. I think ME's are usually pretty good characters considering their profession, they have an odd sense of humor and outlook on life. Well, except maybe Kay Scarpetta, she is kind of a drag in my opinion, but the lady ME on "Castle" was a hoot!
The journalist character is like all journalists in these mystery/suspense novels but sometimes they can be rather fun, like when Ted met her while he was carrying the python! Loved that scene! We needed a little comic relief after being so freaked over what might happen to Woman and her goslings.
The sexually frustrated Stella and her sullen, anti-social son are typical stock characters and not that interesting. I think it is odd that Stella's husband was a famous cult author and he ended up as a croc's dinner. That sounds like a story right out of the tabloids. I know it is terrible, but it made me chuckle! I could see the headlines: WIFE SHEDS CROCODILE TEARS AS WRITER HUSBAND BECOMES A BIT OF CROC.

message 13: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Ceelee: I like your thoughts about the book so far; very descriptive with the world seeming black and white for Ted until he met up with Amanda and the world was revealed as technicolor.
Those baby geese and the mama goose were a stroke of genius by the author. They served to humanize Ted from the start; and cause us no end of fear for their (and his) safety.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Ceelee wrote: "I could see the headlines: WIFE SHEDS CROCODILE TEARS AS WRITER HUSBAND BECOMES A BIT OF CROC...."

Ha-ha! Very funny, Ceelee!!

I am just getting around to listening to the audio of this book, and am enjoying it tremendously for all the reasons you all have pointed out. Ted and Amanda are quite the pair.

I find it curious that after having introduced Ted and Amanda, Sean has not reappeared so far in the book. He seems to have been a friend who had Ted's back, and Ted could sure use one.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Also, very nice summaries Ann!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments I too found that the care of the geese humanized Ted. It is quite sweet how attached he became to them.

I hate to imagine what a nightmare it would be to be falsely accused (or at least I assume he is being falsely accused). And I find myself putting myself in Kelly's place and imagining how I would react as the spouse of someone accused of the terrible crime Ted's been accused of.

message 17: by Russ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Russ | 339 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ceelee wrote: "I could see the headlines: WIFE SHEDS CROCODILE TEARS AS WRITER HUSBAND BECOMES A BIT OF CROC...."

Ha-ha! Very funny, Ceelee!!

I am just getting around to listening to the audio of..."

Great choice to listen to the audio, Carol. The narrator is fantastic!

message 18: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15075 comments Carol: I also considered as I read how this accusation could feel as a person, spouse or co-worker. I thought the author did a good job of presenting those different perspectives to nudge us toward understanding, but so very devastating it must be.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I too found that the care of the geese humanized Ted. It is quite sweet how attached he became to them.

I hate to imagine what a nightmare it would be to be falsely accused (or at least I assume he is being falsely accused). And I find myself putting myself in Kelly's place and imagining how I would react as the spouse of someone accused of the terrible crime
.."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crimson Lake (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Candice Fox (other topics)