Cosmos Cosmos discussion

Cosmos

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evan (new)

Evan Dorian Cosmos lived up to my expectations for an astronomy/cosmology-focused book. Honestly, what attracted me to the book was seeing that the 2013 edition had a new foreword by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I just know that for someone like myself who can’t get enough information about the universe and all the intricacies it entails, a combination of Tyson and Sagan was going to be the book for me. Carl Sagan is a genius, and that was on full display here. I can’t point to a single favorite part of the book, but much the way I adored Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s writing style when I read Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, I felt a similar fondness for Sagan’s writing style. It was intellectual and sophisticated, but also felt smooth and somewhat inviting toward people with a lesser understanding of cosmology (that may just be me). I would compare it to Astrophysics for People in a Hurry in some respects, but despite the similarities, those two books are still distinctly different. In terms of overall goodness, I’d have to go with just about anything Neil DeGrasse Tyson writes, that book included. But I’m still pleased with what I read in Cosmos, and I think I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates scientific books.

Greg Simpson Try Carl Sagan’s book “Pale Blue Dot: A Vision if the Human Future in Space,” as well. It can be thought of as a “sequel” to “Cosmos.” I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, too.