Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > European River Cruise - Reading Recommendations Needed

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 815 comments In three weeks I leave for one of those "trips of a lifetime" - a European River Cruise. The trip starts with two days in Prague, Czechoslovakia then we board the boat in Nuremburg, Germany and cruise down the Danube. There are stops in Regensburg & Passau in Germany, Melk and Vienna in Austria and finally a few days in Budapest, Hungary.

Whenever I travel I like to read at least one book - preferably fiction - set in the location I'm visiting, and I'm looking for recommendations! This is an Outlander themed cruise (the author will be on board the boat) so frankly much of my pre-trip reading is the from the Outlander series (not set in any of these countries LOL). But I would like to take along one or two books on my Nook set in one or more of the locations that I'm visiting.

This is such a well-read group, I know that I'll get some good recommendations for books set in these countries. Bonus points if the book is actually set in one of the cities I'll be visiting!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7463 comments GERMAN/GERMANY

Measuring the World is a German novel with much of it set in Germany. The author divides his time between Vienna and Berlin, so is considered Austrian/German (not sure of his entire biography) It is historical fiction and the two protagonists are Carl Friedrich Gauss (famous mathematician who came up with things starting at about age six with the "rainbow rule" but much bigger discoveries), too,and later astronomer) and Alexander von Humboldt. fwiw one of those historical men was from Prussia, which is a German state--bear in mind that Germany has only been unified since 1871.

A darker, literary novel my mother really liked but I didn't (but well written) is The Reader.

The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr Norris/Goodbye to Berlin is highly rated, although 3 stars for me (but WELL WRITTEN and VERY GERMAN)

All the Light We Cannot See is set mainly in Germany and France, and might not be what you want because of that, but it is excellent. Plus, I'm not sure if the author is German.

AUSTRIAN

The Piano Teacher (haven't read it yet, but high ratings, Austrian author)

Maria by Maria Augusta von Trapp starts in Austria and she was Austrian. This is her autobiography and the real story of the Trapp Family Singers. I thought it quite good, although not a novel or anything like that.

Bambi by Felix Salten is Austrian! I had NO idea!!!

PS It's no longer Czechoslovakia as they have split, and it's in the Czech Republic--this is important to know for when you are there :).

CZECH REPUBLIC

https://www.goodreads.com/places/64-c...

I'm not sure if I've read any or not.

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9055 comments Doughgirl5562 wrote: "In three weeks I leave for one of those "trips of a lifetime" - a European River Cruise. The trip starts with two days in Prague, Czechoslovakia then we board the boat in Nuremburg, Germany and cru..."

So jealous! I've done six mass market cruises. A river cruise would be amazing!! Bon voyage!

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments Ooh, Regensburg! I lived there for a few months (many, many haircuts ago, lol) and loved it. The medieval parts of the city are lovely. Nuremberg is even more scenic.

As to books, I think Alexander McCall Smith’s Portuguese Irregular Verbs series is set in Regensburg. Or thereabouts. It’s a series that you either love or hate - personally I howled with laughter through the first two books (the concept petered out a bit after that). But I was an academic at the time, and had German academic colleagues, plus I have a totally British sense of satire, so it hit the mark. A nice light read too.

I’ve just come across a site called TripFiction.com which might help - it’s specifically targeted at recommendations for books set in the place you’re going to.

Have a lovely trip!!

message 5: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments The Golem by Gustav Meyrink is set in Prague if I remember correctly.

message 6: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 815 comments Karin wrote: "GERMAN/GERMANY

Measuring the World is a German novel with much of it set in Germany. The author divides his time between Vienna and Berlin, so is considered Austrian/German (not sure..."

Wow! Thanks for the thought you put into your reply, Karin. I've read The Reader - and really liked it despite not being a huge fan of dark books. I've added Maria to the list of possibilities, because I may do a Sound of Music day trip to Salzburg. And will check out the Czech list (illiteration LOL).

message 7: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 815 comments KateNZ wrote: "Ooh, Regensburg! I lived there for a few months (many, many haircuts ago, lol) and loved it. The medieval parts of the city are lovely. Nuremberg is even more scenic.

As to books, I think Alexand..."

I'm looking forward to the stops in Regensburg and Nurenburg even more now :-). And I'll check out TripFictio.com. Didn't even know it existed.

message 8: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 815 comments Sushicat wrote: "The Golem by Gustav Meyrink is set in Prague if I remember correctly."
Yes, It's on page one of the Goodreads Czech list. Have you read it?

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5154 comments Ooh, I'm jealous! I don't have any recommendations, but have fun!

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments KateNZ wrote: "Ooh, Regensburg! I lived there for a few months (many, many haircuts ago, lol) and loved it. The medieval parts of the city are lovely. Nuremberg is even more scenic.

As to books, I think Alexand..."

Thanks for the website recommendation.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Have a fun and wonderful trip. I don't have any recommendations but I can't wait to see the reviews of the books.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure I have any recommendations but this sounds wonderful! What an experience this will be. Have a great time. I'm with Jason, I'm just looking forward to your reviews.

message 13: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments It does sound wonderful and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

But what is Diana Gabaldon doing on cruise when she should be working on her next book!

message 15: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments Jonathan Carroll is an Austrian author, I like his books. they are a big magical realism tinged, but many of them are set in Vienna.

Nuremburg is a great city ... One of my favorites.
Most my Germany fiction is WWII related.

message 16: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I’m not sure what genres that you like. Alan Furst has written a series of books about the resistance movements in various countries in Europe in pre WW2. You don’t have to read them in order, but there are some shared characters. They are very atomospheric.

Also recommend The Invisible Bridge.
There is a book called Prague which I haven’t read, but I’ve read some other stuff by the author.

Sounds like an awesome trip!!!!! Have fun.

message 17: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 815 comments I think I may have found my read for Prague.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 18: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 815 comments Jgrace wrote: "It does sound wonderful and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

But what is Diana Gabaldon doing on cruise when she should be working on her next book!"

Don't worry, Diana can work anywhere. I've seen pictures of her writing on a laptop while she was visiting the Outlander series set :-). And while she will be on board, I think we only have two scheduled meet and greets. She recently posted on Twitter that the next book (Bees) is starting to come together easier - no longer like pushing it up a mountain in her words. So she may very well be locked up in her cabin writing much if the trip. Or not ... We'll see!

message 19: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 815 comments Oh, I hadn't even thought about books about Klimpt! And The Invisible Bridge has multiple good reviews from friends. And Prague, which us about both Prague and Budapest! So many good choices! Thanks all!

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6387 comments I "third" The Invisible Bridge ... it was the first book I thought of when I read your original post.

message 21: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments How fun!! My parents did a Viking River Cruise with a very similar itinerary a couple years ago and had a blast. I'm anxiously awaiting our honeymoon cruise, but turns out you have to get married first before you can go on the honeymoon...

As far as books go- someone recommended a couple sites to me last year when we were discussing vacation reads-

Trip Fiction as someone reccomended earlier.
and
Books Set In... , same concept.

Plus there is always looking for Goodread "lists" about the places you are going as well :)

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9340 comments For Vienna, Freud’s Mistress. I really enjoyed that this year. None of the others struck a chord for me, although I’m sure if I thought about it more I could come up with one.

message 23: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments I don't have any spectacular book recommendations, but I do hope you will share with us your adventures when you return! I'm very curious about river boat cruises. They look very interesting, and I especially like your itinerary.

message 24: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I also do not have an great recommendations but have a wonderful time!

message 25: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7463 comments JoLene wrote: "I’m not sure what genres that you like. Alan Furst has written a series of books about the resistance movements in various countries in Europe in pre WW2. You don’t have to read them..."

YES--Alan Faust is a good writer; I've read a couple of his books, but neither were set in these countries.

message 26: by Karin (last edited May 15, 2018 01:04PM) (new)

Karin | 7463 comments ALSO, how about music? I can't imagine Vienna, etc without music from those places! There is so very much, I don't know where to begin, but I was thinking of Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery which is set in Vienna and really designed for kids, but a lot of fun and it includes girls learning the violin--IRL he taught at an orphanage for girls. YES this is for kids.

GERMAN Yodeling is not SWISS yodelling, and VERY IMPORTANT for shepherds in the Alps. NOTE that in many mountainous regions of the world there are different forms of yodelling or similar things for communication (so for a reason, not just for fun).

Austro-Bohemian late-Romantic composer, and one of the leading conductors of his generation. As a composer he acted as a bridge between the 19th century Austro-German tradition and the modernism of the early 20th century composers include Mahler, who is very popular with many classical orchestral musicians because he really used so many more instruments than earlier composers. Orchestras today are filled with much better musicians than 50 years ago overall in large part because of Mahler. In fact, it's common for bass players to have to play a Mahler bass solo because if they can play that, they can play anything. PLUS, choral music.

CZECH - Bedřich Smetana VERY IMPORTANT composer, here's a link to one of my all-time FAVOURITE pieces, which is a musical description of the famous Czech river, The Moldau https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTKsH...

NUREMBERG TRADITION - Johann Pachebel was very important in this, but please, don't just stick with that over-played so-called canon that everyone loves except the musicians who get tired of playing it a zillion times

VIENNA: Experience Vienna, the world’s capital of music, by tracing the footsteps of
some of the famous composers who have lived and worked here – and often
stayed forever: Ludwig van Beethoven, Alban Berg, Johannes Brahms, Anton
Bruckner, Gottfried von Einem, Christoph Willibald Gluck, Joseph Haydn,
Emmerich Kálmán, Anton Karas, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Joseph Lanner,
Franz Lehár, Franz Liszt, Gustav Mahler, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Otto
Nicolai, Antonio Salieri, Arnold Schoenberg, Franz Schubert, Max Steiner,
Robert Stolz, Oscar Straus, Johann Strauss senior and junior, Richard Strauss,
Antonio Vivaldi, Hugo Wolf, Carl Michael Ziehrer and many more.

Of course, just about everyone has heard the famous waltz, The Blue Danube.

message 27: by Karin (last edited May 15, 2018 01:07PM) (new)

Karin | 7463 comments If you don't like classical music, here are German folk and drinking songs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePJh5...

Weihenachstlieder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qooIt...

message 28: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments Doughgirl5562 wrote: "Sushicat wrote: "The Golem by Gustav Meyrink is set in Prague if I remember correctly."
Yes, It's on page one of the Goodreads Czech list. Have you read it?"

It’s on the shelf. This is the book I would read for a visit to Prague. Maybe I should plan a trip...