What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Romance, read around 1970. American college girl falls in love with Middle Eastern classmate. Racial discrimination (e.g., apartment hunting) in small New England or Eastern college town. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rene (new)

Rene | 14 comments I found this in a public library around 1971 and it was a contemporary book. I think it was set in a small New England or Eastern college town. The main character is a student there and becomes friends with students from the Middle East. In one scene she accompanies her friends as they look for apartments to rent and sees the discrimination they face. She falls in love with one of the students, who gives her a gold ring with a sapphire stone. She wears the ring on a gold chain around her neck. The book ends as he breaks her heart by telling her he plans to marry a girl in a marriage arranged by his and the girl’s family. She doesn’t understand why he would marry someone he doesn’t love and he can’t explain to her why he feels he must.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Rene?

message 3: by Rene (new)

Rene | 14 comments I still would love to find this book, but I still haven't. Thanks for checking in!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments No worries. We've tracked down books after a number of years.

Do you think this book was originally intended for an adult audience or a teen audience?

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36565 comments Mod
Rene, I added a few details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 6: by Rene (new)

Rene | 14 comments It was in the YA section of the library - same section as the Betty Cavannas, Rosamond DuJardins, Lenora Mattingly Webber, etc. It was very much like Cavanna's A Time for Tenderness, with the exception, of course, that the male love interest comes to America instead of the main female character going to Rio. Thanks!

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments In Any Spring?

It sounds like he's from India, not the Middle East, but maybe?

message 8: by Rene (new)

Rene | 14 comments That's quite possible. It's been a long time since I read the book, and I would have been too young to know the difference in cultures.