Play Book Tag discussion

One Hundred Years of Solitude
This topic is about One Hundred Years of Solitude
May 2018: Family Drama > [Listopia] One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez 3 strs

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (last edited May 15, 2018 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlotte | 1663 comments [Listopia]
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
3 stars

I am NOT a Gabriel Garcia Marquez fan. This will probably be the last book I read of his, unless I'm driven to due to some kind of challenge or another, like this one. I was challenged in another club to read a book that is not available on ebook and here I am.

The story follows a family that settles a town in the South American jungle/swamp. The story describes the growth and resolution of the family over the course of many generations. The theme that follows each member of the family is some kind of solitude.

I did like this book much better than Love in the Time of Cholera but it still took me until almost 3/4 of the book to "get into" the story. I do see why he is such a celebrated writer, but he is just not my style.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I appreciate Marquez's writing, but I don't like his works. I am really turned off by his constant use of "older man with nubile young girl" relationships. Grow up!

Anyway ... that being said, one of my favorite quotes comes from THIS book
"The world must be really f**ked up, he said, "when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I actually would like to reread this book. I read it quite some time ago, before I ever joined PBT, and I remember loving it. I rave about it and recommend it to some people.

But I do not remember a ton of the details. I would like to dive back into it and see if it withstands the test of time.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I appreciate Marquez's writing, but I don't like his works. I am really turned off by his constant use of "older man with nubile young girl" relationships. Grow up!

I agree! That is a big part as to why I struggle through his stories... the relationships that adults have with children. I felt this one was even worse since they were sometimes in the same family, i.e. the grandmother caressing her grandson. I get that sometimes it is the realities of the world but I do struggle through those pieces of the story.

I've also heard Marquez's writing style and his descriptiveness being similar to the famous Russian writers like Leo Tolstoy. That is another author that I struggle through (Anna Karenina especially). Not because he isn't a great writer but that style of realism writing with heavy details is hard for me to consume.

Nicole R wrote: I actually would like to reread this book.
I think the only books I've every actually re-read are Harry Potter books and Charlotte's Web. I'd be interested to know you thoughts after re-reading it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "I think the only books I've every actually re-read are Harry Potter books and Charlotte's Web. I'd be interested to know you thoughts after re-reading it. "

I often say I would like to reread, but it very rarely happens. This is one of those books that is on the reread "in my retirement" list. But, then I know that my retirement will come and there will be so many other books that I want to read!

Also, my retirement is still 40 years away. lol

Idit | 1028 comments I am reading this book right now and cant give any judgement yet, but regarding ‘love in time of cholera’ - I think the decision to make one of the main characters have sex with a little girl was not a whim of the author.
I don’t think he thought the readers would find it sexy so much as it was to make him less heroic and show that he is lost and obsessed
It was instrumental to building his character in similar way to that in Lolita

Anita Pomerantz | 6756 comments All I have to say on this topic, Charlotte, is I'm with you. This author is not my cup of tea. And I've sincerely tried.

message 8: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve not read any of his work, and to be honest I’ve never read a review that has compelled me to do so!

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 9388 comments I could add that I’m with Anita.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 9388 comments I feared Nicole would throw me off the island, but this fear appears to be softening.