Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Shimmering Road (Charlie Cates, #2)
This topic is about The Shimmering Road
Previous BRs - Authors; U - Z > Young, Hester--The Shimmering Road informal buddy read starts May 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Shimmering Road by Hester Young

Synopsis
Five months after the events at Evangeline, Charlie Cates and her boyfriend Noah are anticipating the birth of their baby daughter in Texas.

Their excitement about the future is tempered, however, by a recurring nightmare Charlie has about getting shot in the belly while showering. Is her dream simply the product of an anxious mind, or is it a premonition, a message that she and her daughter are in danger?

When Charlie learns that the mother who abandoned her as a toddler, is the victim of a double murder in Arizona, she thinks it has nothing to do with her. Yet the other victim—a half-sister Charlie never knew she had—has left behind a child, a little girl who speaks to Charlie in her dreams.

Convinced that she must help her orphaned niece, Charlie travels with Noah to Arizona, where she must confront her own painful ties to her mother … and untangle a web of secrets that will reveal the truth of her own nightmare

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments I'm ready to start this one tomorrow :-)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments My too! I actually didn't realize it was a sequel but it looks like I'll be able to follow along anyway

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments I’ve read the first book twice (highly recommend it) and have been wanting to read this one since it was published.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I have 3 books that I'm involved in this week but hopefully next week I'll see about getting it. The start of Towers means a S*** ton of books and book recs! We'll see if I can keep up. At least I'm not in a reading slump!

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments It could be a lot worse :)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Almost ready to start! Going to read 50 pages in Two Nights to finish it up and then I'll read at least 50-100 pages of this one today!

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments I've started and I immediately remember why I like the main character :)

Favourite quotes from the first chapter:

(view spoiler)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Finished first chapter. I like her too!

I loved your quotes. My most compelling quote that sucked me in was:
(view spoiler)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments How far are you going to read each day?

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments MelanieJoy wrote: "How far are you going to read each day?"

Not sure. Do you have a preference?

message 14: by MelanieJoy (last edited May 15, 2018 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I was hoping to have it read by (view spoiler) but I'd rather have a really good reading experience, so I'm good with whatever pace you want.

I just finished chapter 3.

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments I just finished ch 4.

I very much enjoyed the conversation between Charlie and Noah (view spoiler)

I’m curious about Charlie’s dreams (view spoiler)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I agree, that conversation was very realistic and well written. It gives me more insight into who they are and how they think.

I finished through chapter 7 and I'll probably read more during work.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Finished chapter 14

(view spoiler)

Which of the characters do you relate to?

I think the way she describes Oscar the realtor is so realistic! I've met a realtor like that in Arizona that helped my parents buy a house.

At the beginning of the book I was distrustful of Theresa but I'm less so now. Which is exactly how Charlie felt, and I think it's REALLY cool that Hester Young can take you on the same journey discovering her characters that her characters go through.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I just saw this! I'll be joining tomorrow, hopefully I won't be too far behind :D

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments Snowtulip wrote: "I just saw this! I'll be joining tomorrow, hopefully I won't be too far behind :D"

Definitely not too late to join :-)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments maria helena wrote: "I just finished ch 4.

I very much enjoyed the conversation between Charlie and Noah [spoilers removed]

I’m curious about Charlie’s dreams [spoilers removed] and she needed to figure out how to he..."

I also enjoyed that conversation and then the one that they had (Ch 5)(view spoiler)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments Snowtulip wrote: "maria helena wrote: "I just finished ch 4.

I very much enjoyed the conversation between Charlie and Noah [spoilers removed]

I’m curious about Charlie’s dreams [spoilers removed] and she needed to..."

Hester Young is definitely good at writing dialogue :-)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments I'm about half-way through, and the only slightly negative thing I have to say so far is that I think the plot is progressing a bit slow.

In the first book, I felt like we got thrown into the mystery faster whereas in this one, the pace is definitely slower.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments maria helena wrote: "I'm about half-way through, and the only slightly negative thing I have to say so far is that I think the plot is progressing a bit slow.

In the first book, I felt like we got thrown into the myst..."

It does feel slower, I'm wondering if it's because this plot is more connected with Charlie than the previous book, therefore we have to get a little more backstory, with less visions to move things along...

I'm also very nervous for Charlie and her vision, I just want her to stay locked up in her room so that nothing can happen!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Ch 28-30 (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Finished! I really enjoyed this book, not as much as the first, but close. (view spoiler)

Oh, and what did you think of Noah's ex?

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments I just finished this, and I did not enjoy it as much as the first one (but I will definitely read the third book).

I thought the mystery was a bit too predictable and I did not think the psychic part was used in as good way as in the first book.

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Ch 28-30 [spoilers removed]"

I agree. (view spoiler)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Finished! I really enjoyed this book, not as much as the first, but close. [spoilers removed]

Oh, and what did you think of Noah's ex?"

Regarding Charlie, (view spoiler)

Regarding Noah's ex, (view spoiler)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I'll probably finish this today. I didn't read as much during the weekend, but I'm finished through chapter 18. Just found out that (view spoiler) I heaved a big sigh of relief!
Will keep reading! I didn't read the first one yet so I don't know what to compare it to. I've lived in Mexico so the vivid descriptions of their time in Nogales is very very relatable to me.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments MH, I totally agree with you about Noah's ex. Very believable and well written.
Regarding Charlie, (view spoiler)

(view spoiler) Did ya'll have thoughts on that?

Overall, I really liked it. I loved the writing style, lyrical and with imagery, but also some intrigue. I was very impressed with Hester Young. Part of me wants to go back and read the first book, but I'm wondering if know a few things from the second book would spoil it for me.

message 31: by maria helena (last edited May 22, 2018 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments I suspected that something was going on but had not figured out all the details.

I definitely think that you should go back and read the first book (which in my mind is far better plotwise). Having read the second one doesn't really spoil that one, other than that you know that Charlie and Noah will be together at the end. It will give you more insight into Charlie as a character and her and Noah's relationship (and also, the mystery in that one is great).

Snowtulip | 4553 comments You really should read the first one, I liked it better than this one ...for me, the sense of place and the suspense were standouts in the first book.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments ok! it's on my TBR list now!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shimmering Road (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hester Young (other topics)