Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

On the Jellicoe Road
This topic is about On the Jellicoe Road
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Marchetta, Melina--On the Jellicoe Road informal buddy read starts June 6,2018

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30637 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

Synopsis
I'm dreaming of the boy in the tree. I tell him stories. About the Jellicoe School and the Townies and the Cadets from a school in Sydney. I tell him about the war between us for territory. And I tell him about Hannah, who lives in the unfinished house by the river. Hannah, who is too young to be hiding away from the world. Hannah, who found me on the Jellicoe Road six years ago.

Taylor is leader of the boarders at the Jellicoe School. She has to keep the upper hand in the territory wars and deal with Jonah Griggs—the enigmatic leader of the cadets, and someone she thought she would never see again.

And now Hannah, the person Taylor had come to rely on, has disappeared. Taylor's only clue is a manuscript about five kids who lived in Jellicoe eighteen years ago. She needs to find out more, but this means confronting her own story, making sense of her strange, recurring dream, and finding her mother—who abandoned her on the Jellicoe Road.

The moving, joyous and brilliantly compelling new novel from the best-selling, multi-award-winning author of Looking for Alibrandi and Saving Francesca.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Thanks mods!

message 5: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited May 19, 2018 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Will join this one as well - it's on Unlimited if anyone has that.

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Hi Erin!

message 8: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Kathleen wrote: "Thanks mods!"

You are most welcome, Kathleen!

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Erin- what’s Unlimited?

message 10: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited May 16, 2018 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Tina wrote: "Erin- what’s Unlimited?"

Sorry, meant Kindle Unlimited program. It's $10.00 bucks a month e-book rental service with Amazon. I joined a few months ago. You can borrow 10 e-books at a time, and this book is part of this.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Ohhhh I had no idea it worked like that. I assumed that you paid a fee and got to download and read as many books as you want.

I'm glad you cleared that up Erin!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Tina wrote: "Ohhhh I had no idea it worked like that. I assumed that you paid a fee and got to download and read as many books as you want.

I'm glad you cleared that up Erin!"

You do read as many books from their list, but they have to be part of the program. You can borrow 10 at a time, but can keep switching them out as you read.

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Has anyone started yet? :)

message 14: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jun 09, 2018 01:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Not yet!
I have a feeling when I pick it up, I won’t put it down.
I have a few books to finish first. I think I’ll start tomorrow

(Team Tonks)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Yes, I heard this is one of her best books. Her Lumatere Chronicles remain a favorite, maybe this will have a fighting chanve?

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Oh yes, I loved the Lumatere Chronicles! Such a pleasant read. Actually, I've loved all her books really.

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments After Lumatere, I really liked Saving Francesca. I have this and Piper's Son left to read.

message 18: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jun 07, 2018 04:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments So, this is my 4th or 5th time reading this book. The last time I read it was in 2012 when I was in my last year of high school. I wanted to re-read this to see if my thoughts have matured about this book.

I've listened to about 50% of this book so far with an audiobook and I'm probably going to read the second half tomorrow.

(view spoiler)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Kathleen wrote: "After Lumatere, I really liked Saving Francesca. I have this and Piper's Son left to read."

Looking for Alibrandi was good as well.

There's another book being released this year - The House That Seb Built. Not sure which month though

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments I think you'll definitely like The Piper's Son

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Just starting now.

The name "Narnie" reminds me of a cross between "Marnie" and "Narnia"

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Ending the name after Chapter 2.

Like the writing style so far. Still a bit confused on what's happening but I'm sure it will become clearer.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments What do you all think about Taylor's dreams?

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Ending the name after Chapter 2.

Like the writing style so far. Still a bit confused on what's happening but I'm sure it will become clearer."

It all makes sense towards the end of the book!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Glad to hear! Not sure what to think yet. Sad prologue

Kate S | 1839 comments Finished prologue-chapter 5

I am slowly seeing the story unfold. I am interested to see how the turf wars play out.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments I finished the book. I might wait until you all have read the book before I post opinions. I sort of flew through it by listening to the audio-book version mostly, whilst organising my teams spreadsheets

Kate S | 1839 comments So, I am about halfway through this book. I am struggling to read it. Can someone who has read it and loved it fill me in a little bit about what you loved about it?

message 29: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jun 14, 2018 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Kate S wrote: "So, I am about halfway through this book. I am struggling to read it. Can someone who has read it and loved it fill me in a little bit about what you loved about it?"

I've read the book Kate. I read this when I was in high school and it seemed to help me deal with growing into an adult and understanding myself as well.

I think what I love the most about the book is it's surreal like feeling. It's the little things that get me. Like how (view spoiler)

Kate S | 1839 comments Tina wrote: "Kate S wrote: "So, I am about halfway through this book. I am struggling to read it. Can someone who has read it and loved it fill me in a little bit about what you loved about it?"

I've read the ..."

Perhaps it is the age gap thing. I haven't been in high school in a very long time. I can read some YA, but this book certainly never grabbed hold of me. I don't think I found a way to connect with any of the characters. I do see what you mean about the surreal feeling. There was some interesting language choices which contributed to this.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Kate S wrote: "So, I am about halfway through this book. I am struggling to read it. Can someone who has read it and loved it fill me in a little bit about what you loved about it?"

I know it's very popular and I liked it better the second half. To me it's a little too out there for a higher rating but that's personal preference - everyone is different and apparently I'm in the minority for all-out loving this one. Then again I seem more picky with YA in general for the most part.

Hope it picks up for you.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Kate S wrote: "Perhaps it is the age gap thing. I haven't been in high school in a very long time. I can read some YA, but this book certainly never grabbed hold of me. I don't think I found a way to connect with any of the characters. I do see what you mean about the surreal feeling. There was some interesting language choices which contributed to this.
"

Do you agree that

(view spoiler)

Kate S | 1839 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Do you agree that..."

(view spoiler)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments I just started and like most of you, I'm somewhat lost as to what is happening. Am sure as I go on I will eventually get it.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments It's quite a slow build. I think things make sense the more you go into the book.

I don't think it helps that the parts in italics are a part of the past and we don't read them in order.

Erin and Kate - I definitely agree that Taylor is a bit hard to like/understand at the start.

Do you all think that as it's based in Australia and in the outback Australia, it's a bit hard for you to connect?

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments I never thought about that, but it's a possibility

Actually I somehow missed where it was set at all until I was filling out my reading spreadsheet and went to see if it listed location, so I didn't even seem to realize it was in Australia when actually reading it.

Kate S | 1839 comments Tina wrote: "Do you all think that as it's based in Australia and in the outback Australia, it's a bit hard for you to connect? "

I absolutely think that may have been part of it. I did not realize it was set in Australia, but there is a cultrual disconnect between a suburban American woman and an Australian teenager.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments It's based somewhere between New South Wales - where Sydney is.

I get what you mean Kate. I find it difficult to connect to teens in America and UK sometimes as I am Australian woman

Kate S | 1839 comments Tina wrote: "It's based somewhere between New South Wales - where Sydney is.

I get what you mean Kate. I find it difficult to connect to teens in America and UK sometimes as I am Australian woman"

Sometimes, it's very surprising to see the cultural differences. And sometimes, like in this book, it's funny that I didn't recognize that as a barrier until we began discussing it. Reading globally, while a challenge, can certainly open our eyes to things we don't even know we don't know.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1841 comments Kate S wrote: "Tina wrote: "It's based somewhere between New South Wales - where Sydney is.

I get what you mean Kate. I find it difficult to connect to teens in America and UK sometimes as I am Australian woman..."

Kate S wrote: "Tina wrote: "It's based somewhere between New South Wales - where Sydney is.

I get what you mean Kate. I find it difficult to connect to teens in America and UK sometimes as I am Australian woman..."

I know reading books on my own, I just skip over somethings and don't take time to understand those things. So, I'm glad I've joined so many buddy reads because I feel like it helps me understand more about the book when discussing it with you guys!

Oh definitely! I've learnt quite a bit about current young adult American culture having read quite a few books. I'm learning about how each of America's states can be totally different. Even foods. Waffles aren't that big in Australia, but I think they are in America

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments This book has a somewhat eerie feels to it. Like half dream half reality... Almost halfway and some things are making more sense now.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4224 comments Kathleen wrote: "This book has a somewhat eerie feels to it. Like half dream half reality... Almost halfway and some things are making more sense now."

Agree, it starts coming together in the second half and thankfully less confusing for me by then

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Kate S wrote: "Perhaps it is the age gap thing. I haven't been in high school in a very long time. I can read some YA, but this book certainly never grabbed hold of me. I don't think I found a way ..."

Yes! I finally liked her when she joined the House karaoke sing-off they had. It's actually one of my favorite scenes- the way they over analyzed their song choices was adorable and reminded me of my happy, carefree days!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On the Jellicoe Road (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Melina Marchetta (other topics)