You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > June 2018 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 17, 2018 11:38PM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments This month's theme will be books with title and subtitle. Series titles are included as subtitles.

Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print AND 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) AND 3) published no less than 3 months ago.

- Series books can only be nominated if it is the first book in a series, even when they could be read as a stand-alone.

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close May 17.

Nominations
The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan (Peggy)
Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome (Margo)
Rape: A Love Story (Silver)
Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche (Clément - Renee, Saar)
Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Lanelle)
Salva Me: The Untold Story of Mermaids (Heather)
This House of Sky: Landscapes of a Western Mind (Cherie)
Dead Man Walking: The Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty That Sparked a National Debate (Almeta)
Nabeel's Song: A Family Story of Survival in Iraq (Pragya)
Murder on the Cliffs: A Daphne du Maurier Mystery (Casceil)
Redfield Farm: A Novel of the Underground Railroad (Colleen)

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I would like to nominate Love & Friendship: In Which Jane Austen's Lady Susan Vernon Is Entirely Vindicated.

I have wanted to read it since the movie last year. It is a small book base loosely on a Jane austen book.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Silver, I don't think your book is widely available. I can find paper and ebook versions when I look at amazon.com, but in the Netherlands I can only find an ebook which is above the price limit we have set, and amazon.co.uk seems to have only paper books and no ebook available.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Just in case, is there another book you'd like to nominate?

message 6: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments Peggy wrote: "Silver, I don't think your book is widely available. I can find paper and ebook versions when I look at amazon.com, but in the Netherlands I can only find an ebook which is above the price limit we..."

Oh ok I did not realize that I found it at my library. I can choose something else.

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments I'd like to nominate Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome.

message 8: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments I have always wanted to read more of her work so I will nominate Rape: A Love Story by Joyce Carol Oates

message 9: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Coming back from my big week end I was surprised to see that my theme was picked up. This is a good way to start the week :)

I would like to nominate Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche by Haruki Murakami.

message 10: by Lanelle (last edited May 14, 2018 07:21AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments I nominate Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede. The book's complete title is Sorcery & Cecelia; or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot: Being the Correspondence of Two Young Ladies of Quality Regarding Various Magical Scandals in London and the Country.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51936 comments Lanelle wrote: "I nominate Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede. The book's complete title is Sorcery & Cecelia; or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot: Being..."

That sounds interesting, Lanelle. I'm needing something light and this might be the answer.

message 12: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Janice wrote: "That sounds interesting, Lanelle. I'm needing something light and this might be the answer."

It is definitely a light, fun story.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Ohhh now i wished i hadn't made a nomination. I love Haruki Murakami and would second this.

Clément wrote: "Coming back from my big week end I was surprised to see that my theme was picked up. This is a good way to start the week :)

I would like to nominate Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and th..."</i>

<i>Silver wrote: "I have always wanted to read more of her work so I will nominate [book:Rape: A Love Story
by Joyce Carol Oates"

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather I would like to nominate:
Salva Me: The Untold Story of Mermaids . It has been on my reading list for some time and it has really good ratings.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51936 comments Heather wrote: "I would like to nominate:
Salva Me: The Untold Story of Mermaids . It has been on my reading list for some time and it has really good ratings."

That one sounds interesting too.

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Renee, I can withdraw yours and add your vote to Clement's book. It's up to you.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Yes Please. Thank you Peggy. Lady Jane sounds interesting but i love Murakami's writing more.

Janice wrote: "Heather wrote: "I would like to nominate:
Salva Me: The Untold Story of Mermaids . It has been on my reading list for some time and it has really good ratings."

That one sounds int..."

message 18: by Cherie (last edited May 16, 2018 04:36PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments It has been an interesting romp through my TBR list (over 3K titles), looking for a title to nominate and deleting some too.

I would like to nominate This House of Sky: Landscapes of a Western Mind. I found a couple of other titles if this one does not make it.
Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics
or Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table sounds very interesting.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51936 comments I don't think I've seconded anything, so I will second Dead Man Walking. Woot! Good one, Almeta.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15249 comments I'm having a hard time with this one. I have a couple books that I'm interested in, but they're both over 400 pages. I'm going to keep looking.

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments That sounds very interesting Pragya. I added it to my tbr.

Many non-fiction nominations this month.

message 24: by Heather (last edited May 16, 2018 12:05PM) (new)

Heather I hope we choose a fiction too along with a non-fiction.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Not many novels have subtitles it would seem. It's very rare we have a non fiction group read so it will make a nice change.

message 26: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I was in doubt between two books, the other was fiction (Redfield Farm: A Novel of the Underground Railroad)

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Sarah wrote: "Not many novels have subtitles it would seem. It's very rare we have a non fiction group read so it will make a nice change."

I agree, Sarah. I could not find any.

message 28: by Cherie (last edited May 16, 2018 05:11PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I do have a question about the series inclusion. Is this what you mean? The Lying Game This is the title of the book, but it is also the name of the series. If you hover on the title or click on it, you see the series title.

I have lots of these kinds of titles in my "1st-in-series-to-read" list.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51936 comments Cherie wrote: "I do have a question about the series inclusion. Is this what you mean? The Lying Game This is the title of the book, but it is also the name of the series. If you hover on the title..."

The way I interpreted the criteria was that a series title would count as a subtitle. For example Age of War. If you go to the book page, it shows the series title. I could be way off base though. It would need Peggy's clarification.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments @Janice and Cherie: you're both right. I clarified with Clement when he nominated the theme and series titles count as subtitles too. Sorry for the confusion.

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments @Colleen, it wasn't nominated yet, but I'll count your seconding as a nomination if that's okay.

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 54 comments lol I thought you did nominate it . I was so excited to see a book on my TBR list . Sure you can count it as a nomination. :)

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments Clément wrote: "Coming back from my big week end I was surprised to see that my theme was picked up. This is a good way to start the week :)

I would like to nominate [book:Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and th..."

I second this one.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.