Play Book Tag discussion

The Testament of Mary
This topic is about The Testament of Mary
Archive: Other Books > The Testament of Mary - Colm Toibin 5/5

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1497 comments The Testament of Mary Colm Tóibín 5/5

The actual "book" part of this book was 70 pages then there's an authors note, and a chapter from an upcoming book, so ... if you are intimidated by the length, know it's not all story (haha.)

What a POWERFUL little book. The authors note was pretty interesting, not being a religious person I didn't realize that Mary is little more than a footnote in the bible. I found Tóibín did here absolutely brilliant.

Essentially, we get the "mother's" take on the Crucifixion of Christ. Pretty harrowing. I've not read Tóibín and I was pretty sure he was a man, but confirmed because he completely convinced me he knew what it was like to be a mother. This line pretty much nails it "...when you say that he redeemed the world, I will say that it was not worth it."

The writing was great, and I definitely want to pick up something else by him, but maybe not the Greek myth one. On the heels of reading about Achilles, I really appreciated the way Tóibín built the myth of Mary.

Great little book that I didn't even know about. Another win for Man Booker noms.

message 2: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) This is exactly the kind of book I have been wanting to read! There is also The Gospel According to Mary but I have never been able to find a copy at a price I can afford. But the local library does have The Testament of Mary--yippee. Thanks Nicole.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments So I LOVE Tóiibín. LOVE. I haven’t read this one yet but I own a copy. I’ve actually met him once when he came to Harvard bookstore to do a reading. He’s funny and brilliant. One of my favorite authors.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Sounds like one to add.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments p.s. Would you recommend it for an atheist??

Jgrace | 3112 comments Did you listen to Meryl Streep read it?

Nicole D. | 1497 comments Susie wrote: "p.s. Would you recommend it for an atheist??"

VERY much since an atheist read it.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments Jgrace wrote: "Did you listen to Meryl Streep read it?"

No, I read it since it took like an hour. LOL ... but, true confession time. She bugs me.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments Jen wrote: "So I LOVE Tóiibín. LOVE. I haven’t read this one yet but I own a copy. I’ve actually met him once when he came to Harvard bookstore to do a reading. He’s funny and brilliant. One of my favorite aut..."

Jen knowing what you know if me, which is a lot, what do you recommend I read next?