What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story? Read between 1985-1995? Ghost seduces young woman, setting 1890s - early 1900s?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments Not sure what made me remember this, but here are the details I remember.

I'm pretty sure it was a short story in a book collection, probably of ghost stories. No idea if all by one author or many. Definitely adult and from the library. (I'm not in the same state anymore so I can't check, and I believe this was back when they just stamped a date in the book anyway)

I don't know if the story was written at the turn of the century or just set then, and I remember nothing about the other stories or the authors. It is possible it's a very short novel, but I don't feel it was.

So, a young woman goes to stay for the summer at a house with extensive gardens. I remember nothing about why or her family.

She wanders in the gardens every day until she finds a certain place she really likes, secluded, and then keeps going there. A young man appears to her. I don't know if she realized he was a ghost right away or not, but I'm pretty sure she does know by the end. Actually, I don't know if she even sees him or just senses his presence/hears his voice. No one else sees him.

She feels his touch, through her clothes. They have sex, but I don't think it was graphically described, just very obvious to the reader what is happening. Looking at her, no one would know, she just seems to be laying there dozing. Maybe on a lawn chair? This happens many times, he might visit her room at night, not sure.

And she just wastes away, doesn't eat? Or he's draining the life from her? She understands what is happening but doesn't care - she might have been sad or depressed before this started. Eventually she dies.

I think a doctor comes and all, but the ghost is with her even while the doctor is there?

I can't remember if the ending implied they would be ghosts together or if the ghost man had seduced many similar young women over the years. But I'm thinking the latter, like this has happened before, maybe the lady of the house talking about another girl who died strangely?

Okay, that's all, I've scratched the bottom of the memory barrel.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments bump for Halloween

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 215 comments This is a long shot but Tryst by Elswyth Thane is about a girl who falls in love with a man who is dead but haunting his former home.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I loved it as a teenager :D

message 4: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping - Michele, any luck?

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16882 comments Did you ever find this, Michele?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Michele, are you still looking for this or did you find it?