Play Book Tag discussion

Twelfth Night
This topic is about Twelfth Night
Archive: Other Books > Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7470 comments Sebastian and Viola are separated during a storm at sea, and while Viola has been told that her brother was tied to a mast and so could still be alive, Sebastian thinks his sister is dead.

Viola disguises herself as a eunuch and is employed by the duke who is in love with Olivia, who has told him she has no interest but mourns her dead brother. Viola is sent to pay suit for the duke in her guise as Cisario, and Olivia falls in love. Yes, a Shakepearean love triangle, for Viola loves the Duke. Combine the witty language and the clever double talk of Viola as Cisero with his and a rather nasty practical joke played on Malvolio convincing him that Olivia loves him, a few drunken scenes (the audiobook I listened to was replete with the occasional belch for good measure--not my sense of humour, but will suit others).

The audio cast was excellent and the play well directed, but as for the actual story, it is 4 stars for me.

Cynda  (cynda) I love Shakespeare's Globe production of Twelfth Night. Of course the stage is somewhat like the original Globe. And the women's parts are played by men, like in the original Globe. If you should feel moved to watch it, the play is posted on You Tube.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9353 comments Probably every Shakespeare play you post I’m going to say - “No, that’s my favorite one!” Twelfth night always has a special place in my heart.”

Karin | 7470 comments Cynda wrote: "I love Shakespeare's Globe production of Twelfth Night. Of course the stage is somewhat like the original Globe. And the women's parts are played by men, like in the original Globe. If you should f..."

Interesting, I might watch it, although usually I only like to see men play women's parts in British Pantomimes where women are also playing men's parts. BUT it would make the voices easier to imagine sounding the same.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I consider myself well read in Shakespeare but have never heard of this one. I am going to do a Shakespeare challenge when I finish off one of my challenges.