Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Miller, Madeline--Circe informal buddy read starts May 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Circe by Madeline Miller .

Synopsis
In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child--not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power--the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.

Threatened, Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many of the most famous figures in all of mythology, including the Minotaur, Daedalus and his doomed son Icarus, the murderous Medea, and, of course, wily Odysseus.

But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

res

message 4: by Joy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joy | 281 comments Reserved.

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments aw, i literally just finished this yesterday lol hope you guys have fun though!

Jenny | 5889 comments Sign me up. Team Remus Lupin. Start date works for me.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (diamond_rebel) | 190 comments I would join in on this read. Team Bellatrix LaStrange

Alanna | 7 comments I'm in too! This book sounds so amazing that I got it on release day.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I'm in if I can get the book. - Team Tonks

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments So glad we are doing this as a buddy read. It looks so interesting. Team Luna Lovegood.

message 11: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Hi! I will try to join the buddy read. I have put in a request at the library and hope to get it by the 25th. I am second in line.

message 12: by Joy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joy | 281 comments I'm super excited to see everyone signing up! We should have some good discussion. I'll post a schedule and other such things as we get closer to start. Since this is an informal buddy read, it will be pretty relaxed! :)

message 13: by Cat (last edited May 14, 2018 03:57AM) (new) - added it

Cat (cat_uk) | 7543 comments Mod
oooh! just saw that this was being planned - am (tentatively) in!

Tentative because I've not done a BR before, and I'm not sure how good I'll be with schedules - it's one of my flaws with BOMs - I tend to whizz through past the sections, especially if I'm enjoying the book! ;-/

(Diamonds Diggory)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments The eBook of Circe at my library won't be available until September this year.... ._.

JanEyre9 I'm in for this - Team Minerva McGonagall

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4972 comments Tina wrote: "The eBook of Circe at my library won't be available until September this year.... ._."

mine won't be available until August

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Tina wrote: "The eBook of Circe at my library won't be available until September this year.... ._."

mine won't be available until August"

Jeeze. That's a while away Marie!

Has everyone else bought the book?

Alanna | 7 comments Cat wrote: "oooh! just saw that this was being planned - am (tentatively) in!

Tentative because I've not done a BR before, and I'm not sure how good I'll be with schedules - it's one of my flaws with BOMs - I..."

I think a lot of us probably had the experience of getting through the assigned reading "too fast" in school; I feel you there. I'm likely to get through it in a couple of days myself if I'm enjoying it.

message 19: by Joy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joy | 281 comments I'm planning on going to the book store this week and I'll pick it up then. I've been waiting to go on a bit of a spree, and am pointedly ignoring the unread books I've already bought.

Jenny | 5889 comments Tina wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Tina wrote: "The eBook of Circe at my library won't be available until September this year.... ._."

Jeeze. That's a while away Marie!

Has..."

I bought the book couple weeks ago. I read a couple of really good reviews of the audio version as well, so it was a hard choice which format to choose.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I've bought it too. I used to love those Greek legends when I was a kid so looking forward to it.

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I would like to sign up to participate as well. I bought it with a Mother's Day gift card! Team Draco.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Ok, I'm officially in. I'll have bought the book by then.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Jenny wrote: "Tina wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Tina wrote: "The eBook of Circe at my library won't be available until September this year.... ._."

Jeeze. That's a while awa..."

I've just started listening to some this year. I find it to be a hit and miss with audiobooks for me. I think it's the narrator's voice/tone that puts me off sometimes. So, hard copy for me when I can!

Suzanne | 4268 comments I downloaded my library copy - I'm excited I can read it with the group!

Suzanne | 4268 comments I know so little about this story - I don't think I've ever really heard of her, or her father/mother - but they sure seem mean and self absorbed-not surprising since that seems to be the typical attitude of Olympians, etc.

message 27: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments I'm in. For those waiting for the library copy, I got in line early and there are over 130 people behind me in line.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Damn, this book is just killing it

Nice job Lexi!

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments The nice man in the bookshop told me I had to buy this when he spotted me drooling over it this morning.

I do have about 100 other books I'm supposed to be reading but I will try to join you for this.

JanEyre9 I am willing my library hold to move faster. I'm #8 on 6 audio copies. Come on readers!

Brooke | 1199 comments I'm hoping to get a copy soon. I might be a day or two late, but I'm in! Team Flitwick.

message 32: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited May 24, 2018 12:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I'll be starting over the weekend. The paperback has a beautiful cover. Circe by Madeline Miller

Suzanne | 4268 comments Oh wow - I like that cover more than mine - I haven't seen it before.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I have to start a bit early, because my library copy is due back and I'm starting to pay fines - although I have been trying to wait for start of the buddy read! I want to try to finish ASAP though so people behind me won't have to keep waiting.

Initial thoughts (first few chapters) - (view spoiler)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I've ordered the book, but just found that my first order with my Mother's Day gift card didn't go through, so now it isn't going to arrive until May 31 - I hope that won't be too late to jump in, but I will join in as soon as I can.

Brooke | 1199 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I've ordered the book, but just found that my first order with my Mother's Day gift card didn't go through, so now it isn't going to arrive until May 31 - I hope that won't be too late to jump in, ..."

I'll probably be joining you a few days late. My copy hasn't arrived yet.

message 37: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments I am like a few others here. My library hold hasn’t come in yet. It should be any day now. If it takes more than a few days, I’ll read it myself. :(

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments I started it this afternoon and am very much enjoying it so far. I don't remember a lot of greek mythology but this is putting me in the mood to read up on it again.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Suzanne wrote: "I have to start a bit early, because my library copy is due back and I'm starting to pay fines - although I have been trying to wait for start of the buddy read! I want to try to finish ASAP though..."

I agree Suzanne. Dysfunctional (view spoiler)

message 40: by Cat (new) - added it

just started! Three chapters in, and enjoying it.

The family is totally weird! Circe's mother (view spoiler)

Jenny | 5889 comments Just about to crack open the book. I have been looking forward to this one for a while now!

Jenny | 5889 comments I grew up reading (and having read to me) the Greek myths, so this is like revisiting an old friend for me.
Another thing that I am reminded of is visiting the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and standing in front of the Rubens painting Prometheus Bound, for what seemed like hours. If you have not seen it, here it is.
https://www.philamuseum.org/images/sp...

message 43: by Cat (new) - added it

Chap 7
(view spoiler)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Cat wrote: "Chap 7
Circe..."

I have to admit I think he's actually right (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments ~chapter 7

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments ~chapter 10

I feel the loneliness of Circe's life.

(view spoiler)

Jenny | 5889 comments Hi,
Can one of you tell me how you are hiding comments in (view spoiler), I cannot figure out how.

Thanks.

message 48: by Cat (new) - added it

Spoiler tags!

Angle brackets < spoiler > at the start and close off at the end < / spoiler >. (But no spaces)

Jenny | 5889 comments Thank you Cat! I learned something new today!

« previous 1 3 4