Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Howl’s Moving Castle (Howl’s Moving Castle, #1)
This topic is about Howl’s Moving Castle
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Wynne Jones, Diana--Howl's Moving Castle ; Informal Buddy Read ; Start date 12 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

Synopsis
An alternative cover for this ISBN can be found here

Sophie has the great misfortune of being the eldest of three daughters, destined to fail miserably should she ever leave home to seek her fate. But when she unwittingly attracts the ire of the Witch of the Waste, Sophie finds herself under a horrid spell that transforms her into an old lady. Her only chance at breaking it lies in the ever-moving castle in the hills: the Wizard Howl's castle. To untangle the enchantment, Sophie must handle the heartless Howl, strike a bargain with a fire demon, and meet the Witch of the Waste head-on. Along the way, she discovers that there's far more to Howl—and herself—than first meets the eye.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Lexi | 3110 comments When is this starting?

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments I think we decided on June 10th bc that's what I wrote in my notepad, if that works for everyone wanting to read it.

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
If I can fit in a re-read I will.
And I really do want to read #2

message 7: by Elen (last edited May 12, 2018 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments I would love to join if it starts after the 10th, maybe 12th. Also, if needed I just can join later on.
I want to read this series and watch anime again (Have seen it really long time ago).

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments the 12th is fine with me

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen wrote: "I would love to join if it starts after the 10th, maybe 12th. Also, if needed I just can join later on.
I want to read this series and watch anime again (Have seen it really long time ago)."

I saw the movie at a random outdoor cinema viewing one year and loved it. That is what got me interested in the books :)

message 10: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3110 comments I'll happily join if you don't mind. I have not read it in a long while and was a childhood favorite. This is my first buddy read.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I didn't know this was a book. I thought it was just a masterpiece of a movie.

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aren’t all good movies based on books? 😉

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Haha truth!

message 14: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments For what date we decided to do BR? 12th June?

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments yeah i think the 12th is good. mods, can we get the date added to the post?

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I have wanted to read this forever. I'm in for Team Draco!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I might join for this as well if I can manage 😅

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "If I can fit in a re-read I will.
And I really do want to read #2"

I just realised you meant there's a second book in the series... ereigjvnerin What the pants!! I wish I knew all about this when I watched the movie ages ago! I would have read them all non-stop, one after the other.

Definitely in for this buddy read representing Team Tonks

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

lol!

message 20: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments There are 3 books in this series :D

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm in for this one

message 22: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3110 comments Elen wrote: "There are 3 books in this series :D"

The first one is still my favorite. Though, my all time favorite Diana Wynne Jones is Dark Lord of Derkholm.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments My UNO team captain recommended this book so I am really looking forward to it.

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i just read Eight Days of Luke the other day and really liked it so i'm excited to read more by this author

message 25: by Em (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em (emmolga) I just borrowed this book from a friend and I can see how perfect the timing is! I'm in!

Emily | 440 comments Starting this book...now.

Anyone else not seen the movie and going into the book without any ideas?

message 27: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments I will start book tomorrow or the latest is the day after that, bc someone doesn't want to return the book to the library (overdue).

I have seen the movie, but it was ages ago, so I don't remember anything about it. And never have read a book, but I have heard so many good things about it.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I have never seen the movie or read the book, but I've owned the book for about 5 years - yikes! I'm really hoping to get to it - I kind of over-committed myself with buddy reads (but they are all so shiny) - however, I think I should be able to start this later this week, if real life cooperates.

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i'll be starting it here in a little bit. i've seen the movie once but it was awhile ago. i've heard they are very different so i'm definitely going to do a rewatch after i read this

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments I saw the movie years after I read the book and they are really quite different from each other.

Since I read and loved the book first, I was disappointed with the movie.

Emily | 440 comments I’m not putting this under spoilers since it’s literally on the second page, but I really liked this line:

“To which Martha always retorted that she would end up disgustingly rich without having to marry anybody. “

message 32: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3110 comments I am a reread as I grew up reading all of DWJ. I hope everyone enjoys it and I will start today.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments ch 1-2

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3110 comments I am halfway and I this isn't a spoiler but it is really nice to be able to reread children's books and not find that you can no longer enjoy them. So many end up sexist or racist that I did not notice as a child.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments ch 2-5

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i read chapters 1-3 and i'm really liking it so far but i'm getting tired so i think i'm gonna stop for the night

i also loved martha's line about how she was going to get rich without marrying anyone and also (view spoiler)

i can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that i haven't seen the movie for so long. you'd think it would be good because it would keep me from comparing the two but really it's like comparing the book to some half remembered dream so i hope that doesn't become a problem for me *g*

Deanna | 2962 comments Finished through chapter 4 this evening.

Martha and Lettie - (view spoiler)

Sophie - (view spoiler)

Howl - (view spoiler)

Overall the book is off to a fun start, and I am looking forward to continuing it tomorrow.

message 38: by Deanna (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna | 2962 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 1-2

..."

I completely agree (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments ch 6 - 8

(view spoiler)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Chapter 1 and 2

(view spoiler)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments One of my other BRs might not be happening (or is postponed at least) so I think I'll start this too! Team Lockhart! Hi Elen & Emily :)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Tina (view spoiler)

message 43: by Lexi (last edited Jun 13, 2018 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3110 comments Finished. I am enjoying people's responses who have no read it before. (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I just finished the first two chapters. It has me wondering why I haven't read this before - it is charming!

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Suzanne wrote: "I just finished the first two chapters. It has me wondering why I haven't read this before - it is charming!"

Yes it is. Enjoy your first read. I tend to re-read this every few years because it is just fun.

message 46: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3110 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I just finished the first two chapters. It has me wondering why I haven't read this before - it is charming!"

Yes it is. Enjoy your first read. I tend to re-read this every few yea..."

I now want to reread Dark Lord of Derkholm as it is my favorite.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Lexi wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I just finished the first two chapters. It has me wondering why I haven't read this before - it is charming!"

I now want to reread Dark Lord of Derkholm as it is my favorite. "

If you want to set it up, I'd be up for doing a Buddy Read. I've never read it but the description sounds awesome.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I've never heard of that before, but the description sounds great!

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments chapters 4-7

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3110 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Lexi wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I just finished the first two chapters. It has me wondering why I haven't read this before - it is charming!"

I now want to reread Dark Lord of..."

Would sometime from July 10-15 work for you?

« previous 1 3