Play Book Tag discussion

The Fishermen
This topic is about The Fishermen
May 2018: Family Drama > (Decathalon) The Fishermen - Chigozie Obioma (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1457 comments (Cross-Posted to Decathlon)

The Fishermen - Chigozie Obioma

3 1/2 stars (rounded up on my shelf)

The Fishermen is the story of four brothers in Nigeria in the 1990s. After their father leaves to work in another city, the boys take advantage of his absence to spend time fishing at the river when they should have been studying. While at the river, a madman approaches them and predicts that one of the boys will kill the eldest brother. This prophecy sets the boys on a path that will tear apart their tight knit family.

The book reminded me of a Greek tragedy. It starts with a deathly prophecy that results in bad things happening to everyone involved. The reader knows that the events happening in the book will not end well, but still can't help but be hopeful for the young narrator. The author has stated that this book is an analogy for the history of Nigeria, it was very interesting reading it with that in mind. It was a good book over all that was a little too tragic for my reading tastes.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2672 comments Sounds fascinating!

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6891 comments Sounds good, but a tad depressing, not that it stops me from reading a book.