World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Free booze and national mentality -:)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16085 comments Been at weddings in 4 different countries and everywhere the drinks were free, however a friend of mine from the UK says that most weddings there offer a paid bar. He explains that guests would just drink until they lose it if the booze were free. Yeah, it's a generalization and I'm sure that the above assumption doesn't apply to all.
However, this makes me think of a national mentality and whether we can have global social solutions. In the context of a universal income, for example. There might me nations, where only a small percent would apply for that, if it were on the offer, while for some others - a large percent of the population would take it and do nothing more, but drink most of the time.
Or democracy and personal liberties - they can rest only on certain values and won't work in their absence.
What do you think? Ah, and do you have free drinks at weddings in your locale?

message 2: by Michel (last edited May 12, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Michel Poulin My son, a Canadian living in the Montreal area, recently got married to his fiancée. who also lives in the Montreal area. However, due to the very high costs of wedding arrangements, banquet, drinks and music offered by local cathering services, he decided to get married at a resort in Mexico, near Cancun, which offered special wedding packages at lower price (including hotel and airfare) than in Montreal. Drinks were free, along with a buffet, seaside ceremony and Mariachi musicians.

If a wedding would be held around Montreal, or mostly anywhere in Canada, the couple and/or their parents would pay for everything and would be expected to offer free drinks on demand. Asking guests to pay for their drinks at a wedding would be considered very cheap and would be frowned upon.

message 3: by Nik (last edited May 12, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16085 comments Michel wrote: "he decided to get married at a resort in Mexico, near Cancun, which offered special wedding packages at lower price (including hotel and airfare) than in Montreal. Drinks were free, along with a buffet, seaside ceremony and Mariachi musicians...."

Cool idea! Congrats on your son's marriage!

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2329 comments Maybe it says something about the UK :D
Been a while since I've been to a wedding, but generally people aren't there to get drunk...you might have that one relative who takes advantage but that's about it.

message 5: by Nik (last edited Jun 18, 2021 07:30AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16085 comments J.J. wrote: "....Been a while since I've been to a wedding, but generally people aren't there to get drunk..."

Damn, I must've misunderstood the entire gist of weddings :)
Is booze free at the weddings in your country?

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 4582 comments Nik wrote: "J.J. wrote: "....Been a while since I've been to a wedding, but generally people aren't there to get drunk..."

Damn, I must've misunderstood the entire gist of weddings :)
Is booze free at the wed..."

It depends on the generosity of whomever is paying for the wedding.

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16085 comments Why, it’s not the newly weds and/or their parents?

message 8: by J. (last edited Jun 27, 2021 03:38PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 4582 comments Nowadays it's usually the newlyweds paying for the wedding. But there are still some old fashioned families that insist that the Bride's father foots the bill. I dated a woman from a family like that.

As for others, I knew one guy who gave his ex-wife's fiance the money to elope, just so he could stop paying alimony.

message 9: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1859 comments I haven't been to a wedding in about 10 years. My first marriage in 1982 was an actual wedding and party. Between then and 10 years ago, the drinks were an open bar or an outdoor party at a family place in which kegs of beer and bottles of acohol flowed freely. There are always some who get completely drunk and some people who only go because the invite says open bar.

Nowadays, I suspect there are a lot fewer open bar invitations and I have heard some people discuss that they supply the toasting drink but that is all or they may include a few bottles of wine per table.

My sister did the traditional dad paid for the wedding when their daughter got married. I was unable to attend, but that included open bar. When I was a teen and in my early 20s, it was assumed to be an open bar so the invites didn't even specify. Sometime around the mid-80s, I started seeing it specified on invites and I think at that time the traditional father of the bride thing changed too.

Perhaps the change was the result of the freedom that women started to enjoy vs. the old-fashioned dad giving away his virginal daughter to the husband who then became responsible for her upkeep, along with it becoming commonplace for both people to have jobs and often already living together?

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16085 comments I like it more when it implies an open bar :)