Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading May 2018?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Having finished the awesome YA book, The Knife of Never Letting Go, I'm now reading High-Rise. Both books deal (in their respective contexts) with survival in problematic communities.

message 2: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments Still reading Red Sister. Enjoying it quite a lot but it's on my Kindle, which I'm using for something else so I'm on a bit of a hiatus.

I like Lawrence's post-post-apocalypse type world-building here. At first I wasn't sure if it was set in the Thorn-World, but it's its own place.

message 3: by Michelle Von (last edited May 12, 2018 04:14PM) (new)

Michelle Von (booksteacats) | 123 comments I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha (I'm not one for reading historical fiction of this sort, but I actually don't hate it, yay!) , Mossflower, and Stone of Farewell. That's all good.

....Then there's my reread Wizard's First Rule, which I'm doing in the name of furthering the series after this, and I'm just not loving it. Like, I gave it 5* back in 2011. I don't hate it by any means, but I've read a lot of fantasy novels since 2011; 3* is alI I feel it's worth, tops. :(

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha (I'm not one for reading historical fiction of this sort, but I actually don't hate it, yay!) , Mossflower, and [book:Stone of Farewell|286..."

I have the biography of the lady who Memoirs was based on. I've heard that book caused her some problems (Memoirs) but I've never read it.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Finished reading HIgh-Rise by J. G. Ballard this morning. I liked the style of writing but I thought the story was very far-fetched in its depiction of the social collapse of the community of a tall apartment building and the apparent indifference to its fate by society outside the building.

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Reading Space Opera. I'm enjoying the actual storyline, but kinda zoning out during the more expositiony chapters.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm reading The Gone-Away World. It is SLOW, man. S L O W

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I'm reading The Gone-Away World. It is SLOW, man. S L O W"

I bailed on that one.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I saw. Which gives me very little hope.

I ditched the HB for an ebook...which I then ditched for an audio.

The cover fits PERFECTLY for one of my challenges and the page count is perfect for another of my challenges...and the fact that I've had the damn thing for YEARS is perfect for yet another challenge.

Clearly, too many challenges happening here. O_O

message 10: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Clearly, too many challenges happening here. O_O"

Clearly.

Depending on the challenge, you could still use it. Like, for a TBR challenge I'm counting DNF's because I did, technically, remove it from my TBR pile.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Oh, that for sure. But I want to knock out a page count and a cover.

message 12: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Well, then you're hosed. :P

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Well, then you're hosed. :P"

truth

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "I love that book, but yes, it is a slooow burn. It's also very British, not just in its humour but also in its particular strain of biting antiestablishmentarianism. I really don't know how well it..."

IDK if I've gotten that far. I'm not a big one for the establishment, so...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.