Reading with Style discussion

54 views
Listopia Tag Su 18 > Listopia Tag Questions

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Please post any questions about the summer sub-challenge in this thread.


message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments I think this is acceptable:

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov; it is #14 on this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

using the tag: sci-fi

Right?

Now here are the tags that show up for that list:
Tags: best-fantasy, best-science-fiction, earliest-list, fantasy, sci-fi, science-fiction, sf

Because I've chosen 'sci-fi' in my example, does that preclude me from using variations of that tag (ie. in my mind there are 4 tags that indicate the same thing)?


message 3: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Only the claimed tag cannot be duplicated. In your specific example best-science-fiction, science-fiction, and sf would still be available to use later in your reading.


message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments Kate S wrote: "Only the claimed tag cannot be duplicated. In your specific example best-science-fiction, science-fiction, and sf would still be available to use later in your reading."

Ok, great! Thanks.


message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4659 comments You’ve come up with another great idea mods —- thanks!


message 6: by Lagullande (last edited May 12, 2018 09:24AM) (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments Many lists will offer a variety of tags. Each book and list must only use one tag for the purpose of claiming points. Please include the tag you are claiming for each book.

I'm not clear how tags work. Do they relate to individual books? Or can we use any of the tags for a particular list, as long as our book is on that list and regardless of whether the tag seems to apply to it?


message 7: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Lagullande wrote: "I'm not clear how tags work. Do they relate to individual books? Or can we use any of the tags for a particular list, as long as our book is on that list and regardless of whether the tag seems to apply to it?"

Tags are attached to the lists. You can use any tag for the particular list regardless of if your book fits that specific tag. There are some great examples of this on non-fiction lists.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Bryony wrote: "Bryony’s reading plan to be added here

Possible Listopias
Books with a Clue weapon on the cover (tags: board-game, Clue, cover, covers, game, movie, weapons)"


Remember that the list must not only have at least 100 books, but it must also have at least 100 voters. This list has only 43 voters, so won't work for this challenge. If you have a particular book in mind, it is easier to flesh out a qualifying list.


message 9: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments Kate S wrote: "Tags are attached to the lists. You can use any tag for the particular list regardless of if your book fits that specific tag. There are some great examples of this on non-fiction lists."

OK, I understand. Thanks, Kate. This is a fun game.


message 10: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1451 comments So if I start with this list Books that Exceeded Your Expectations https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4... and I pick the tag non-fiction, I get a bunch of Listopia lists. Where do I from there?


message 11: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 13, 2018 07:19PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments itpdx wrote: "So if I start with this list Books that Exceeded Your Expectations https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4... and I pick the tag non-fiction, I get a bunch of Lis..."

That list has Tags: exceeded-expectations, fiction, non-fiction

You can choose any book on that list and use one of those tags. One list, one tag done. Then you will choose another list & book and use any tag from the new list. You cannot use any list or tag twice.


message 12: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1451 comments So I can use any tag that appears on that list whether or not it applies to the book selected?


message 13: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments itpdx wrote: "So I can use any tag that appears on that list whether or not it applies to the book selected?"

Yes.


message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin Kate S wrote: "Only the claimed tag cannot be duplicated. In your specific example best-science-fiction, science-fiction, and sf would still be available to use later in your reading."

Hooray!


message 15: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments Karin wrote: "Kate S wrote: "Only the claimed tag cannot be duplicated. In your specific example best-science-fiction, science-fiction, and sf would still be available to use later in your reading."

Hooray!"


However, as I understand it, if you used one of those tags later, they would have to be with a different list (ie the list can't be duplicated either)?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Lagullande wrote: "However, as I understand it, if you used one of those tags later, they would have to be with a different list (ie the list can't be duplicated either)? "

Correct. Ten different tags from ten different lists.


message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 555 comments Is it possible to combine points to receive 15 extra points with pre-1980, NAN and Big?


message 18: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Is it possible to combine points to receive 15 extra points with pre-1980, NAN and Big?"

Yes, it is.


message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I've got a book-specific question: The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America is on a few lists that would work, but the reissued version I have, The Inconvenient Indian Illustrated: A Curious Account of Native People in North America isn't and is its own entity on Goodreads. Can I still treat the unillustrated version as the MPE or would it just not work for the subchallenge?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Sam wrote: "I've got a book-specific question: The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America is on a few lists that would work, but the reissued version I have, [..."

I combined your edition with the others, so you should be good to go on whichever list/tag you choose to use.


message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Thanks!


message 22: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments I am confused about the edition requirement. I finished A Family Affair by Rex Stout and it is on several qualifying lists. However, I read the library's edition which is this one: A Family Affair and it doesn't seem to be on any lists. I can't claim it for the subchallenge, or can I? Thanks.


message 23: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Owlette wrote: "I am confused about the edition requirement. I finished A Family Affair by Rex Stout and it is on several qualifying lists. However, I read the library's edition which ..."

You can. The edition rule is intended to open additional lists to readers, not further limit options.


message 24: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments Oh, I see. I will post it as a 15.1. Thanks!


message 25: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2360 comments How do you check if a book is on a listopia?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments On the book page, scroll down a little below your friends' reviews and the Reader's Q&A and above the Community Reviews and there is a section called "Lists with this book"

Here is the section for the book A Girl's Guide to Moving On



That "Lists with this book" is clickable so that you can see more lists if you need/want to.


message 27: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2360 comments Thank you


message 28: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2518 comments The WC has Kipling's Collected Stories...so, would his Just So Stories qualify for a 15 task?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Ed wrote: "The WC has Kipling's Collected Stories...so, would his Just So Stories qualify for a 15 task?"

Yes, and they have a lexile over 800 too!


message 30: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2518 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed wrote: "The WC has Kipling's Collected Stories...so, would his Just So Stories qualify for a 15 task?"

Yes, and they have a lexile over 800 too!"


thanks


message 31: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4478 comments how are people able to link the list, using just the name of the list without the http in front, which is copying and pasting?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments You can type the name or copy and paste the name. Then looking at the html is ok, put in the codes before and after. Kinda techy. I have an addon for my Chrome browser that makes it really easy.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/de...


message 33: by Kazen (last edited Jul 20, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Rebekah wrote: "how are people able to link the list, using just the name of the list without the http in front, which is copying and pasting?"

Replace the [] with <> and use the format:

[a href="listlink.whatever"]List Name[/a]

Hopefully they're revamp the forums so we don't have to use straight html but until then I hope this helps :)


back to top