Victorians! discussion

Uncle Silas
This topic is about Uncle Silas
Archived Group Reads 2018 > Uncle Silas: Week 2: Chapters 14-26

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee M | 1993 comments Mod
So much happens in this section! Plus, We finally learn what was in the cabinet!

1) What happens between Aunt Monica and the governess?

2) What do you think was really going on when Maud & her governess are accosted on their walk? For what purpose?

3) How does the governess come to be dismissed? What do you think she was after & why?

4) Who was the long awaited “visitor?” What are the repercussions of the visit?

5) Are you surprised by the contents of the will? What are your thoughts on its contents?

6) How does Volume 1 end?

Rosemarie | 217 comments That governess gives me the creeps, and I am not a wimpy heroine like Maud (which she seems to be at this point in the book). I feel sure that we haven't seen the last of Madame R.
Her father asked her if she was ready to direct her own life, which he should have done much sooner. He was a very strange and self-centred man, which made him a very poor father for a timid girl like Maud.

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree. There’s reclusive by nature, and grief... but you could still be a decent dad. I think he has left Maude in the soup in many ways.

Laurene | 158 comments Did I miss the explanation of how Aunt Monica and Madame R know each other? I went back to look for it but all I found was Aunt Monica telling Maud she will tell her later (how she knows Madame R).

I am really suspicious of the scene when Maud and Madame R are accosted on there walk. Was it planned? I wonder if Madame set it up or/and Madame R knew the men. I just think there was more to it then what it appears. But then I could be reading too much into it.

Rosemarie | 217 comments I have just finished chapter 26 and can only say "Poor Maud" for a couple of reasons. The first reason, other than the obvious one of the death of ther father, is that she has to leave the only home she has known and live with Uncle Silas, a man with a past.
The second is her personality. I get the impression that she is easily frightened, easily swayed, with hysterical tendencies and an over-active imagination.
I know that her father was concerned with the family "honour", but what was he thinking by putting Maud in such an unsuitable(to say the least) situation.

message 6: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monica doesn’t give Maud specifics, but there is definitely a connection from the past. I’ve been wondering about it more than anything else about her.

Nina Clare | 135 comments Rosemarie wrote: "That governess gives me the creeps, and I am not a wimpy heroine like Maud (which she seems to be at this point in the book). I feel sure that we haven't seen the last of Madame R.
Her father asked..."

I agree - I don't think we have seen the last of her.

Nina Clare | 135 comments Renee wrote: "Monica doesn’t give Maud specifics, but there is definitely a connection from the past. I’ve been wondering about it more than anything else about her."

I can't figure Monica out. She seems to be a friend of Maud, yet she also seems to be holding back secrets of her own. Is she a true friend to maud or not? Time will tell...

message 9: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maybe something Maude is considered too young or too innocent to hear? Personally, though, I can’t wait for it all to come out!