YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

BUDDY READ: Non-Fiction > Rye (Postcard History Series) By Paul D. Rheingold - Starting May 13th 2018

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Rye, now a suburb of New York City, has a fascinating history dating from its founding in 1660. Due to its extensive waterfront on Long Island Sound, Rye has been home to several major amusement parks, as well as beaches and nearly a dozen clubs. These clubs have featured sailing, golf, and swimming, and numerous postcard scenes in Rye show the ways in which residents entertained themselves over the years. Rye also contains plentiful views of the churches and schools in town, which date back well into the 19th century. The town has had a number of famous private schools and institutions, including St. Benedict's Home for Colored Children and the Osborn. Scenes also show civic buildings, such as the fire stations, post offices, train stations, and the mansions of the wealthy.

message 2: by Gillian (last edited May 12, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments 4% I never knew American settlers paid Native Americans for their land, if you can call eight coats and seven shirts payment.

message 3: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments 12% What a pity the Trolly was replaced by buses 1927 then automobiles. I was imagining it to be like Glenelg in Adelaide where the tram still runs down to the beach. I am assuming a Trolly is like our trams?

message 4: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments 30% The use of the tides was a smart way to grind the grain.

message 5: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Finished That was very interesting, I would love to see Rye if I ever get to the USA. For now I made do with Google Maps, I was able to wander up and down street as I read the book. What a beautiful city Rye is and was. I was surprised at how many places burnt down over the years. One house was only about 8 years old that must have been heart breaking.

message 6: by Madao (new)

Madao (andromeda_horse) | 491 comments Starting today!

message 7: by Madao (new)

Madao (andromeda_horse) | 491 comments Page 10 I am curious as to how this 'colored' cemetery looks like. Rye sounds like a town where I would love to live for the rest of my life. I never knew Native Americans had to sell their land. I am fairly ignorant about American History.