What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction, late 1980s, early 1990’s, California teens, auto accidents, spirits, psychic

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jean (new)

Jean Doss | 3 comments I read a book, fiction, published in the late 1980’s, early 1990’s that was about a blended family in California. Story opens with two high schoolers in car accident. The boy is killed and remains in story as a spirit (who sometimes blows on his mother’s neck). The girl is severely injured but recovers. One scene early in the book, she takes the teeth knocked out in the accident and pushes them back into her gums and smiles. First part of the story is about the funeral, the reaction of the boy’s high school peers and the girl’s process of healing after a traumatic accident. Her mother and step father also have a baby, and Mexican nanny. Dad is type-a, drinks to excess, obsesses about new business opportunities in pacific rim countries, exercises through hang overs, privately finds his wife’s post-pregnancy body repulsive. Adults’ social circle is superficial, rich Californians...includes a wealthy woman who is obsessed with a visiting Australian psychic, a woman who suddenly left her husband and children, who would prefer to wear polyester but the California ladies who “follow” her make her wear more fashionable natural fibers , even though the sound Of the sheep from which the natural fibers come from, are distracting to her when she’s trying to do psychic readings. Spoiler alert: daughter is in second accident - killed this time. Mother out of her mind with grief. I read this book when it first came out - don’t know why I’ve been obsessed with it all these years...hardly can remember the plot (as you can tell) any help would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments Was this book for teens or adults?
Part of a series?
Anything about the cover?
Time period story takes place?

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean Doss | 3 comments I thought it was a book for adults, hard cover - but I don’t remember the cover - it was library book. The story takes place in 1980’s...possibly early 90’s

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean Doss | 3 comments And I don’t think it was part of a series but can’t say that with 100% certainty

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40648 comments Mod
Jean, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments Accident by Danielle Steel ?

Here is a review from Publisher's Weekly:
...her 32nd novel (after Vanished ) is set in California's plush Marin County. Page Clarke, devoted wife of Brad and mother of Allyson and Andy, finds her golden life shattered when 15-year-old Allyson sneaks off with friend Chloe to meet two boys. In a subsequent head-on collision, one boy is killed, Chloe is seriously injured(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Accident (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Danielle Steel (other topics)