Reading the Detectives discussion

Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery, #3)
This topic is about Look to the Lady
Albert Campion group/buddy reads > Look to the Lady - Margery Allingham

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10740 comments Mod
Welcome to our May/June Buddy Read Thread:

Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham was first published in 1931 and is the third Albert Campion mystery.

This involves a family heirloom - the Gyrth Chalice - and a group of devious criminals planning to steal it.

Please do not post spoilers in this thread.

I am currently reading this, so I will be avoiding the spoilers thread for a few days!

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2226 comments I gave this five stars,as I enjoyed so much. To me it is the best so far. It had so many of the elements to keep it fast-paced and entertaining.

That's great, Jill. Do all the Campion books involve criminal gangs, do we know? They seem a bit similar to me, so far.

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9551 comments Mod
No, they don't all involve criminal gangs. The next one in the series, Police at the Funeral, is more of a traditional country house mystery.

Phew! Good to hear, Judy.

Leslie | 592 comments I'm starting my reread soon! I have my mother's collection of Allingham's but I think that I read this at least once (before I had them) under another title -- The Gyrth Chalice Mystery (I guess that was the American title back in the days when publishers did things like that). Susan's post reminded me of that!

I think publishers STILL do things like that, Leslie. On 20th Century we just read an Evelyn Waugh novel which had a different ending for the UK market (a little more upbeat than the devastating one UK readers received!).

I've downloaded this on Kindle (I think I'd thrown out a dog-eared previous copy!) and am looking forward to a reread. Leslie, you are right that The Gyrth Chalice Mystery was the US title - not sure if it is still published under that title?

Sandy | 3089 comments Mod
I'm reading a new book, Mr. Flood's Last Resort, which must have been The Hoarder in the UK, so the practice is alive and well. Not sure I would have picked up the book with its original title, so they may know their audience.

It is an interesting read, with a touch of the supernatural, and old mysteries to work out.

Jan C (woeisme) | 1464 comments Judy wrote: "I've downloaded this on Kindle (I think I'd thrown out a dog-eared previous copy!) and am looking forward to a reread. Leslie, you are right that The Gyrth Chalice Mystery was the US title - not su..."

Apparently not. The copy I bought a couple of years ago was Look to the Lady. I had assumed Gyrth Chalice was the English title.

I am struggling a bit with this one, I will admit. I think I stalled at this stage with Allingham before, although I am determined to read on this time.

Leslie | 592 comments Susan wrote: "I am struggling a bit with this one, I will admit. I think I stalled at this stage with Allingham before, although I am determined to read on this time."

I found that this one picks up quite a bit about halfway through.

I had forgotten how much Campion piffles - it reminds me of Lord Peter!

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2226 comments Leslie wrote: "Susan wrote: "I am struggling a bit with this one, I will admit. I think I stalled at this stage with Allingham before, although I am determined to read on this time."

I found that this one picks ..."

Yes, He reminds me of Wimsey too.

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

I believe some people thought Albert was a bit of a spoof on Wimsey - that could be, but I think he has his own personality, a bit more of a wild/comic edge.

I do love the opening of this book, with Val introduced as a down-and-out, and the envelope - a fantastic hook.

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 880 comments This was my introduction to Allingham and Campion - listening to it on the BBC on the radio, sitting around the kitchen table - probably in the late 50s, because it was before we had a TV. I have a soft spot for it, because of that, but there are some features which now I find involves serious suspension of disbelief. The envelope introduction is one of them (more later ...)

Sandy | 3089 comments Mod
I will be starting this tonight and am looking forward to visiting Campion again ... its been too long.

message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2226 comments Judy wrote: "I believe some people thought Albert was a bit of a spoof on Wimsey - that could be, but I think he has his own personality, a bit more of a wild/comic edge.

I do love the opening of this book, w..."

Yes . Right from the start I was drawn in and it just kept going from there.

Jan C (woeisme) | 1464 comments Susan wrote: "I am struggling a bit with this one, I will admit. I think I stalled at this stage with Allingham before, although I am determined to read on this time."

I had some trouble with this book. I put it on the shelf for a couple of years. But once I picked it back up I just read it straight through.

I liked the beginning. I am stuck in the middle and wading through to the end without much interest, I must admit. Gypsies, criminal gangs and cryptic notes - it just seems like I've been here before.

message 21: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorry to hear that, Susan. I'm loving it - the bonkers plot and the playfulness of the style really appeal to me. Then again, I love Albert - must be one of my favourite detectives of all time.

I've read this not so many years ago, but have forgotten some of the plot twists, so I'll stay out of the spoiler thread until I finish - hopefully that will be very soon.

I don't really feel that I have got to know Albert at all, but let's see. I will finish this!

message 23: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

On the gypsies in this book, Margery Allingham's brother, Philip Allingham, spent a lot of time travelling with gypsies and fairground people, and wrote a book about his experiences, Cheapjack, edited by Margery, which was highly acclaimed. I just found a short article about a reprinted edition:
http://golden-duck.co.uk/philip-allin...
I've been meaning to read this one for ages!

It's mentioned in the article that "Orlando" was Philip Allingham's gypsy name, so the dedication, and giving Campion the same name among the gypsies, are tributes to her brother. Dance of the Years, her historical novel which is based on the Allingham family history, features a gypsy ancestor.