Historical Fictionistas discussion

HF Book Lists > German History Through Novels

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Gardner (authorbrucegardner) | 8 comments I'm wondering if someone (such as Garth??) could generate a great list for German history through novels such as been done for several other countries? One of my favorites is the "Hangman's Daughter" by Oliver Potzsch set in mid 1600's.

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 249 comments You could start one yourself. I recommend The Book Thief (1940s) and Illuminations (12th century).

message 3: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Gardner (authorbrucegardner) | 8 comments Here's a start for "English-written or translated" HF novels set in Germany. Other suggestions welcomed and encouraged!

1. 800's: Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
2. 900's: ???
3. 1000's: ???
4. 1100's: Illuminations by Mary Sharratt
5. 1200's: Death and the Devil by Frank Schätzing
6. 1500's: Michael Kohlhaas by Heinrich von Kleist
7. 1600's: The Warwolf: A Peasant Chronicle of the Thirty Years War by Hermann Löns
8. 1600's: The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsche
9. 1600's: Magdeburg by Heather Richardson
10. 1600's: Hope of Ages Past: An Epic Novel of Faith, Love, and the Thirty Years War by Bruce Gardner
11. 1600's: The Amber Witch by Wilhelm Meinhold
12. 1700's: The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald
13. 1800's: The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning
14. 1900's: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Remarque
15. 1900's: City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin
16. 1900's: The Consummate Traitor by Bonnie Toews
17. 1900's: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Czech | 32 comments I've enjoyed "Give Me Back My Legions" by Harry Turtledove. This novel focuses on the Battle of Teutoberg Forest (9 A.D.) in which Rome lost three legions trying to quell a revolt led by Arminius. Rome was unable to conquer the Germans as they had the Gauls, setting the stage for the development of a separate culture and group psyche, and the eventual invasion of the Roman Empire by Germanic tribes.

message 5: by Bruce (last edited May 17, 2018 02:03PM) (new)

Bruce Gardner (authorbrucegardner) | 8 comments Fiona wrote: "You could start one yourself. I recommend The Book Thief (1940s) and Illuminations (12th century)."

Great suggestions, Fiona. I just took a first shot at list (see message3 post) and also put "The Book Thief" on my "to-read" list! Thanks.

message 6: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Gardner (authorbrucegardner) | 8 comments Ken wrote: "I've enjoyed "Give Me Back My Legions" by Harry Turtledove. This novel focuses on the Battle of Teutoberg Forest (9 A.D.) in which Rome lost three legions trying to quell a revolt led by Arminius. ..."

Dang, those early Germanic tribes were tough nuts to crack!! Seems their tradition carried on down through the centuries ...

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 347 comments So cool! Thanks. A good chunk of my ancestry is German, so I'd love to learn more about ancient Germany.

message 8: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 579 comments I loved The Ludwig Conspiracy (felt like a better version of Da Vinci Code), dual timeline 1880s & present

Looking forward to Magdeburg, The Blue Flower, and The Glassblower, as well as:
The Magician - 1900s
And After the Fire - 1700s
The King's Daughter - 1500s/1600s
The Castle of Kings - 1500s
Gutenberg's Apprentice - 1400s
The Greenest Branch - 1100s

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 347 comments I'd like to addCradles of the Reich to this list. It's set in the 1930s and 40s, during the Holocaust.

message 10: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) I liked The Women in the Castle for its depiction of civilian life in Germany during and after WWII.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin Holmes Richardson (acetax) | 72 comments Good series by Christian Hurst. First book is
Children to a Degree Growing Up Under the Third Reich Book 1 by Horst Christian Children to a Degree: Growing Up Under the Third Reich: Book 1

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bashaar | 176 comments Ursula Hegi's novels provide a great depiction of Germany in the years leading up to, during and following WW2. I also highly recommend Motherland for the experience of German women in WW2.