Horror Aficionados discussion

Horrorpedia > Definition of Indie Horror?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (hmssparky) | 191 comments I keep seeing a lot of discussions about Indie horror books. What exactly is "Indie Horror," and how does it differ from the normal horror genre?

message 2: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Karen wrote: "I keep seeing a lot of discussions about Indie horror books. What exactly is "Indie Horror," and how does it differ from the normal horror genre?"

Hello! I'm co-host of a site (Sci-Fi & Scary) and we primarily promote and review indie horror. Indie horror is generally authors that are either being promoted by smaller presses or on their own, as well. There's not much difference, really. There are a lot of talented writers in the horror genre. I think that it can be more creative and varied since indie authors don't have some of the restraints on them that mainstream authors do. If you'd like I can give you a link to one of our reviews as an example of some of the books we look at?

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2880 comments I'd be curious in knowing this too. I'm an indie who writes horror but does that mean I'm indie horror?

message 4: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I'd normally say any writer who isn't stocked/listed by mainstream booksellers counts as indie.
(I'm small press myself)

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (hmssparky) | 191 comments GracieKat wrote: "Karen wrote: "I keep seeing a lot of discussions about Indie horror books. What exactly is "Indie Horror," and how does it differ from the normal horror genre?"

Hello! I'm co-host of a site (Sci-F..."

That would be great, thanks!