What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Curse of the Bronze Lamp (Sir Henry Merrivale, #16)
This topic is about The Curse of the Bronze Lamp
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Classic Detective Fiction (probably) detective goes to stay at large house to solve missing persons case. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SamSpayedPI (last edited May 11, 2018 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments So I was discussing a book on another forum and wanted to use this book as an example of something, but of course forgot almost everything about it. I probably read it sometime in the 1990s.

The detective is invited to a large mansion to investigate the disappearance of a young woman. I can't remember if she was the daughter or the young wife of the household. The big denouement was that (view spoiler)

I believe it was a classic pre-war Detection Club mystery, since I've read a lot of them (particularly Agatha Christie and John Dickson Carr), that was the style, and the house had a boatload of servants, but I suppose it could have been written later and just been set in the 1930s or earlier. If I had to guess it would be John Dickson Carr, judging by the "locked room" aspect of the disappearance, but I skimmed his titles and couldn't find a match.

message 2: by Aspiring (new)

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments It sounds a bit like Agatha Christie, I know she used a similar device to the one you described in the spoiler on several occasions, but I can't think of this one specifically.

Can you think of any other details that might help... Was it an English country house? Or in the city? (Or another country even?)

Was the detective male or female? Some form of professional or gifted amateur?

Was it a novel or a short story?

Cosy mysteries like this are one of my favourite genres, so I'll keep thinking!

message 3: by Cycad (new)

Cycad | 114 comments The Curse of the Bronze Lamp by Carter Dickson/John Dickson Carr, maybe.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36585 comments Mod
The Curse of the Bronze Lamp by Carter Dickson - Cycad's suggestion

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Aspiring wrote: "It sounds a bit like Agatha Christie, I know she used a similar device to the one you described in the spoiler on several occasions, but I can't think of this one specifically.

Can you think of an..."

I can't remember much more. It was a short novel. It would have definitely been set in England, but I can't remember if if was a country house or a city mansion (although I'd guess country house from the genre).

Again, guessing from the genre, I'd say a male detective, but I won't rule out Miss Marple.

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Cycad wrote: "The Curse of the Bronze Lamp by Carter Dickson/John Dickson Carr, maybe."

Thanks! That looks promising, from the blurb. Now I just have to find my copy . . .

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Cycad wrote: "The Curse of the Bronze Lamp by Carter Dickson/John Dickson Carr, maybe."

That's it! Thanks so much!

message 8: by Cycad (new)

Cycad | 114 comments You're welcome!