Support for Indie Authors discussion

Cover Workshop > Cover Help - Sci-Fi Supervillain Noir

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited May 11, 2018 03:17PM) (new)

David Reiss | 0 comments I'm considering two possible covers for my sci-fi/supervillain noir novel, Fid's Crusade and I would love to get all of your opinions.

New Cover-Blue Logo

New Cover-Red Logo

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 405 comments I like the blue better. Fix is a cool character, not impulsive.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 552 comments I like the blue better but the orange stands out more.

message 4: by David (new)

David Reiss | 0 comments Thank you both for your input! I've decided to go with the blue logo.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 552 comments Wise...!

message 6: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 14 comments perfect choice.! the orange competes with the red of the character - he stands out with the blue.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Thatcher (jenna_thatcher) | 132 comments I agree, and even though you've already made up your mind, thought I'd add my opinion just for solidarity. :)

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Wright | 88 comments Great image, but there's something not quite right about the guy's position. There's too much empty space on the right. I'd suggest moving him over to the centre. Also I'd like to see more texture in the background, perhaps a suggestion of a city, or futuristic landscape, and a less bold colour. The background colour and the lightning just takes over and I think it could work better if the guy is the thing that stands out most.
Sorry, I'm suggesting a lot of work here.

message 9: by David (new)

David Reiss | 0 comments Ann wrote: "Great image, but there's something not quite right about the guy's position. There's too much empty space on the right. I'd suggest moving him over to the centre. Also I'd like to see more texture ..."
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to spend some time fooling around with graphics programs and see what I can throw together. Fair warning: This cover was pretty-much the first thing that I've drawn in decades and I'm still learning to use digital tools. My first attempts at including a background were...umm...less than inspiring. But I'll keep at it. :)

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Viarengo | 2 comments I think that the writing in blue makes a better book cover.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Gamble (wendygamblesf) | 12 comments I liked the blue right away. I don't think you need to change the composition. The lightning leads my eye to the man, the simplicity of background focuses attention and doesn't look empty to me.

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Gamble (wendygamblesf) | 12 comments I agree the lightning could be muted a bit, maybe try a touch of semi-transparent colour that was used on the man.

message 13: by Steven (new)

Steven Simpson | 7 comments Here’s a suggestion from an anal-retentive graphic designer: >FID’S< needs a curved apostrophe, like I have done here. Otherwise it looks amateurish (especially in a title). Check the whole character set of your font. There’s one in there.