Play Book Tag discussion

Unqualified
This topic is about Unqualified
Archive: Other Books > Unqualified, by Anna Faris- 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments 2.5 stars, rounded up because I'm nice. I've always liked Anna Farris, I will admit I liked her even more when she got together with Chris Pratt. I typically enjoy celebrity memoirs, but didn't know much about Anna. Scary Movie was funny-ish, I enjoyed 'What's your Number', and 'The House Bunny'- but other than that- I really only knew of her because of her #relationshipgoals with Chris Pratt.

This isn't a typical memoir, because it isn't solely about her life. It is more the titled "Unqualified" advice that she gives, with memoir stories to back up the advice. It was definitely a memoir- but this route seemed less personal than most- leading to disappointment. The structure of this book was a mess. Because it's not really a linear timeline memoir- everything was all over the place. She gives anecdotes everywhere that distract from the main stories. She repeats herself because the same fact is relevant in multiple places. On the positive-you can tell Anna is a very sweet, well intended, and a good person. You can tell she is funny, even if it's obvious she is desperately trying to get you to like her.

Anna did narrate the audio version herself, and did a good job. Parts of the book read more like a comedy set than an actual memoir. Now I'm left wondering- did this get set to publish before or after her and Chris decided to divorce- because that was never mentioned. (awkward much?)

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments I love watching Anna, mainly because of her TV show "Mom". But have you ever seen her do interviews on talk shows? She is awkward and all over the place. So when you said the book is all over the place that doesn't surprise me. I sometimes feel uncomfortable watching her do interviews cuz she's so.....strange or stunted with the way she talks. I don't know how to describe it. Anywho--it doesn't stop me from liking her as an actress. I'm going to see the new Overboard movie this weekend with her in it.

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I just watched a video of her on Ellen, and I see what you mean. She seems.. awkward. It looked like she was really nervous or anxious, but I think that is just her normally? I'm not sure- I watched her talking to Ellen about private schools in LA for her son- and it was a good representation of her book. Funny story, she is a sweet, funny person, but kind of all over the place and somewhat awkward.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Yes the Ellen interview was semi-awkward and there was a Jimmy Fallon one that I can't seem to find on youtube but it was even more awkward. I still like her though!