Flint Public Library Reads! discussion

Butterflies in November
This topic is about Butterflies in November
Book Discussions > May Fiction Only Book Club: Butterflies in November

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flint (last edited May 11, 2018 01:50PM) (new) - added it

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Join us next Wednesday, May 16 at 12:00, for a discussion of Butterflies in November. We would love to hear your opinions about the book!
And if you can't make the meeting, please post your comments here, in our new Goodreads forum. We look forward to reading your posts!

message 2: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 1 comments So sorry I can't make the meeting today. I will be thinking of all of you and will see you next month.
It wasn't my favorite book, but I learned alot about Iceland.
I thought the whole book was affected by the events of giving up her baby at 15. She seemed to avoid all strong feelings as a protection. The little boy she traveled with was ok for her because he wasn't perfect and she didn't expect to become deeply involved.
I don't know what the meaning of winning the lotteries was, as she didn't seem to care about money. Also, I've never seen a book before that had 50 pages of recipes. I thought the recipes were interesting but strange for an American.
The idea of it being an island was interesting, especially since wshe took the Ring road, which brought her back to exactly where she started. I didn't finish the book, so I don't know if the trip changed her in any way. Let me know if that happened. The island was certainly another character in the novel.
If this was a quest book, I don't know exactly what she was seeking
Best,
Marilyn

Diane M. | 14 comments I enjoyed the book, although I don't think that the nameless main character is one who I felt much for or who will stick with me. She seemed to be a high-order autistic person with her lack of emotion and flat-affect. I found Tumi, the four year old that she was caring for to be the most interesting character. In the time he was with her, he seemed to be coming out of his shell and becoming much more capable.
I baked the cookie recipe from the book for the Book Club and they were good, but the other recipes didn't really interest me. The end seemed very abrupt and nothing was really resolved. It just stopped. Good writing and interesting to learn a little about Iceland.

message 4: by Flint (new) - added it

Today, the Fiction Only Book Club discussed "Butterflies in November. And for a book that the majority of members thought was "just ok", we had a very interesting and lively discussion.

Members agreed that the unnamed main character was emotionally distant and apathetic. She didn't seem to take an interest in much and everything was taken in stride.

We also agreed that she wasn't the best caregiver (and most likely won't become one in the future!) as she left Tumi by himself an awful lot.

And most members stated that she had rather loose morals!

Quite a few thought they learned a lot about Iceland, however, one member, who visited Iceland, said the terrain and landscape was nothing like what she saw!

While Butterflies in November certainly wasn't the most popular selection, I think the discussion was very good! And the homemade cookies shaped liked puffins (or dinosaurs :) were delicious!

Let us know what you think of the book, even if you weren't at the discussion.

message 5: by Flint (last edited May 16, 2018 04:18PM) (new) - added it

We missed you at the meeting, Marilyn but thank you for commenting!

We discussed the narrator giving up her baby, although a few of us didn't remember the passage (including myself, probably because it appeared so early in the book) and thought like you: that it certainly might have some bearing on her detachment. And probably her reluctance to have children in adulthood.

The significance of the lotteries was not discussed although winning certainly allowed her and Tumi to take a trip and not want for anything. (Especially after she let her ex-husband have just about all the marital assets.)

You're not the only one who didn't finish the book. And those who did said you probably didn't miss much. It ended rather abruptly, with the narrator planning a trip abroad with Tumi (his mother will have her hands full with new born twins).

Perhaps she just wanted time to herself, not necessarily seeking anything in particular. I think in the end she came to realize that even though she always thought she could never raise a child, that it wasn't something she could ever do, that yes, she can take care of a child (to a certain degree!)
Ann