Stephen King Book Club discussion

General > Book Club Reboot!!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Barnes | 23 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Firstly we would like to apologise for letting this club slide to the back burner but we are here to tell you all that we are back! That’s right, the book club will be commencing in June. We have lots of exciting new ideas to share with you all and can’t wait to be part of the club again.

There is going to be one main change to they way the club is run and that is:
• Instead of the previous one month per book we have decided to change how long we have to read each book depending on the length of said book, For example if its under 300 pages we all have one month to read it but if the book is over 300 pages we have two months to read it etc.

Now we need your help. There is now a topic for June’s book suggestions, so please go and comment telling us which book you would like us to read in June. You will have until the 20th May to do this, as the Poll with all the suggestions will be posted on the 21st for you to vote on. Get commenting everyone!

We are really excited to start reading some more Stephen King in June and we hope to see you join us in June!

Sarah and Lisa

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarhianon) | 56 comments Mod
I'm going to start us off by suggesting Joyland!

message 3: by jared (new)

jared | 11 comments Thats good with me! I actually already own that book on my kindle, and have not read it yet. thanks.

message 4: by Kay (new)

Kay | 14 comments I have read Joyland, but have forgotten it! It would be good to revisit it, but my copy is packed away!

message 5: by Femke (last edited May 14, 2018 12:24PM) (new)

Femke De Wolf Yes! Joyland. One that's on my tbr for a long time :) I also haven't read Revival and Carrie. Maybe those are also a good start for the reboot ;)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

My suggestion is Bag of Bones

message 7: by delco (new)

delco (delcoreader) hi
at the risk of sounding like an idiot, i have a couple questions. first, i've never really been part of a book club. i like to read stephen king alot but not sure how to talk about a book. generally, what do book club readers talk about? i'm a guy, is that ok?

also, there is a new book coming out in less than a week. is that a good place to start?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

It’s not a stupid question at all and it doesn’t matter in the slightest that you are a guy.

We talk about the book whilst we read it, things like what we think of it, what character we like/dislike, thought/predictions on the plot etc.

Hope that helps!

message 9: by jared (new)

jared | 11 comments Both joyland and bag of bones is good with me!

message 10: by jared (new)

jared | 11 comments delco wrote: "hi
at the risk of sounding like an idiot, i have a couple questions. first, i've never really been part of a book club. i like to read stephen king alot but not sure how to talk about a book. gener..."

I am on the same page delco! its all new to me too! I am hoping i can figure out the workings of following an online book club, i am particularly slow on figuring computer stuff, at first, hope i get past the learning curb, i am sure i will, also look like an idiot in the meantime. so keep patient please, I am pumped to be a part of it!

message 11: by Femke (new)

Femke De Wolf Or how about Sleeping Beauties?🤔

message 12: by delco (new)

delco (delcoreader) ..so, is it joyland?

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Just so everyone knows the poll is now up so you can now vote for a book :)

message 14: by jared (new)

jared | 11 comments #1 Joyland, #2 Bag of bones are my vote

message 15: by delco (new)

delco (delcoreader) I’m going to read The Outsider, Stephen king’s new book released this week. I will try to catch up on the next book...if not for the new book, I’d pick Joyland...just saying..

message 16: by Lisa (new)

delco wrote: "I’m going to read The Outsider, Stephen king’s new book released this week. I will try to catch up on the next book...if not for the new book, I’d pick Joyland...just saying.."

I didn't know he had a new one book out! I will add a discussion thread for people to talk about this book if they want to.

message 17: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments Joyland! I just started it so that’s my vote

message 18: by delco (new)

delco (delcoreader) ...just out of curiosity, how many people will be reading during this go-around?

message 19: by Philip (new)

Philip | 2 comments Joyland is a good read to start on. However, if were still taking suggestions, a collection of short stories might be easier for us to start discussions on if were new of just a bit rusty. I suggest, if we do go with a short story collection, that we read Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

message 20: by Tiffany B. (new)

Tiffany B. | 11 comments I am new to the online book club thing but am really excited. I just finished the Dark Tower series and related books and am just not ready to move on from King. He has def become one of my favorite authors.

Any chance someone can point me in the direction of the poll? I know I’ve missed the deadline but I want to see how everything works so I’m ready for next month. Plus I need to know what book was chosen? Hoping it’s Joyland because I haven’t read that one yet.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Philip wrote: "Joyland is a good read to start on. However, if were still taking suggestions, a collection of short stories might be easier for us to start discussions on if were new of just a bit rusty. I sugges..."

That's a great idea! Although it's too late for this time around make sure you mention it in the book suggestions for July.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Tiffany B. wrote: "I am new to the online book club thing but am really excited. I just finished the Dark Tower series and related books and am just not ready to move on from King. He has def become one of my favorit..."

The chosen book for June is Joyland! :)

To view the polls you can click on the polls section which you can find at the top of the group homepage on the righthand side. Also when the poll is active it will also appear at the bottom of the homepage.

message 23: by Tiffany B. (new)

Tiffany B. | 11 comments Thanks Lisa!!! Luckily I started Joyland so I’m all good!!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Tiffany B. wrote: "Thanks Lisa!!! Luckily I started Joyland so I’m all good!!"

:)

message 25: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments Not that I am in a rush to move into July to start the next book but I wanted to ask if we will be voting again and when we will be deciding or find out the next book! Loving this one so far. Just want to know incase I might need to order ha

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Jillian wrote: "Not that I am in a rush to move into July to start the next book but I wanted to ask if we will be voting again and when we will be deciding or find out the next book! Loving this one so far. Just ..."

The suggestion post will go up on the 18th June and run for about 5 days and then the poll will go up on 23rd June and finish on 27th June so that everyone has enough time to get hold of the chosen book.

message 27: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments Perfect sounds great thanks!

message 28: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Lane | 3 comments I’m excited to be here

message 29: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 2 comments Anyway, there is a famous quote that goes like this....shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue IT, boil IT, bake IT, sauté IT, Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about IT... 2019 is here and come September IT part 2 will be on the big screen and I’m so pump that sometime before this date; I will have to read IT for the second time..First time was 1986, so soon will probably be a good idea...