Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

How to Kill a Rock Star
This topic is about How to Kill a Rock Star
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > DeBartolo, TIffanie--How To Kill A Rock Star informal buddy read starts May 12, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo.

Snynopsis
Written in her wonderfully honest, edgy, passionate and often hilarious voice, Tiffanie DeBartolo tells the story of Eliza Caelum, a young music journalist, and Paul Hudson, a talented songwriter and lead singer of the band Bananafish. Eliza's reverence for rock is equaled only by Paul's, and the two fall wildly in love.

When Bananafish is signed by a big corporate label, and Paul is on his way to becoming a major rock star, Eliza must make a heartbreaking decision that leads to Paul's sudden disappearance and a surprise knock-your-socks-off ending.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments Hello everyone!
this is my first buddy read in this group!

So, looking at the book - looks like we don't have chapters numbers. Yikes

a few chapters do have dates
and there are "Parts" to the book - but they are pretty few and far between..

Do we want to post based on Chapter dates (so we don't spoil things for each other? )

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments That sounds like a good idea, Trisha. :) I'm really glad you joined us and I think you'll find this group to be very fun! This is also my first buddy read with this group and I believe it will be Morgan's too.

I'll be reading for Team Hermione Granger for points and so will Morgan.

How about approximately every 50 pages or so? If that works, I'll post the pages in my book as well as the dates to start/stop and hopefully discuss our thoughts after each section. Is that doable?

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Welcome Trish and Vicki! Enjoy your buddy read; they are so much fun!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Thank you, Laura. :)

message 8: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments I like it! 50 pages is perfect!!

and Good luck Gryffindors!!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Yay! Welcome Trisha!!! :D

I am actually reading for Team Ginny Weasley, but both are in House Gryffindor! ;)

I think 50 pages will work. So every 50 pages, hop on to this thread and post a little discussion update on our thoughts of the book?

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments I don't know if my book will be here by tomorrow, but I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

message 11: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments Yeah, I have a rough schedule for us:

1st post: Stop BEFORE July 25 2000 (50 pages)
2nd post: stop AFTER September 18 2000 (@98 pages)
3rd post: stop AT Part II (@ 150 pages)
4th post: stop BEFORE January 14th, 2002 (@ 198 pages)
5th post: stop BEFORE chapter that starts "I convinced myself it was victory." (@ 251 pages)
6th post: stop BEFORE August 4, 2002 (@ 302 pages)
7th post: stop AT Part III (@ 345 pages)
8th post: Final post (finish book)

if this looks okay, I think it's the easiest way to try to stop at the same points so we don't post spoilers :D

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Works for me! :)

You're awesome, Trisha. Thanks for setting that up. That makes it a lot easier.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Oh my gosh, Trisha! I was going to post a schedule for us but THANK YOU!!!! We’ll use yours. I’m not home to look at mine but it looks very similar & possibly even the same. I hope you’re feeling better now!!

message 14: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments Oh, yeah! No problem :) book was sitting next to me so it was easy to do :)

1st post: Stop BEFORE July 25 2000 (50 pages)

Paul(view spoiler)

Michael.....the guitarist(view spoiler)

New Job(view spoiler)

and so far I love two lines:

"Tell me what you listen to and I'll tell you who you are"

and

"It just seems like a bad idea," I said, " swallowing a liquid that can be set on fire."

This was a good book intro, I hope you guys like it too!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments I haven't received my book yet... :(

It's supposed to come from the library via home delivery. As soon as I receive it, I'll start it and post my update. Sorry ladies!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Sounds like you’re enjoying it, Trisha.

No worries, Morgan! I was gone all day so I never got to this one but I did get one book read. :)

message 17: by Vicki (last edited May 13, 2018 12:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments 1st post: Stop BEFORE July 25 2000 (50 pages)

Trisha, I think the 2 quotes you pulled out were 2 really good ones. I especially like, "It just seems like a bad idea...swallowing a liquid that can be set on fire."

Paul (view spoiler)

Eliza (view spoiler)

Michaels (view spoiler)

Michael Caelum: I like Michael too. I think he seems to be a nice guy.

Terry (view spoiler)

Lucy (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments 2nd post: stop AFTER September 18 2000 (@98 pages)

Eliza (view spoiler)

Paul (view spoiler)

Vera (view spoiler)

message 19: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments Morgan wrote: "I haven't received my book yet... :(

It's supposed to come from the library via home delivery. As soon as I receive it, I'll start it and post my update. Sorry ladies!"

No worries, we'll be here while you read it :)

message 20: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments 2nd post: stop AFTER September 18 2000 (@98 pages)

Eliza(view spoiler)

Paul(view spoiler)

Vera(view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Trisha wrote: "2nd post: stop AFTER September 18 2000 (@98 pages)

Eliza[spoilers removed]

Paul[spoilers removed]

VeraI completely agree. It's her turn to get schooling done- she shouldn't have to keep putting ..."

I have to agree with your spoiler about Eliza!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Sorry, I still haven't gotten my book. :(

Hoping it gets delivered today.

message 23: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments awe, no worries! I'm sorry you have to wait!! We're just slowly moving along :) we'll be here when you get it!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments I know how you feel, Morgan. I can't tell you how many times I got my books so long after a buddy read started or even after! I hope you get it soon, but don't worry for our sake. We're good here. :)

message 25: by Apoorv (last edited May 15, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Discussion Points

First Stop: Before July 25, 2000 (50 pages)
Plot wise, music being the backbone of this story has been a major plus so far. It makes the backdrop of Eliza's story (thus far) very interesting, and I certainly hope that we get to learn a bit about the music business and the workings behind the scene, as much we'd get to know the love story.

Story wise, so far I am definitely hooked on to the proceedings and characters seem definitely interesting. The setting of New York City works nicely with the kind of story, so so far so good, Ms. DeBartolo.

Eliza - (view spoiler)

Paul - (view spoiler)

Michael Caelum - (view spoiler)

Eliza's job situation is certainly interesting. But, there have been lots of books written with similar situations, so to positively standout, it has to either make me laugh (which Lucy and her bitchiness can certainly do) or make things intensely dramatic to push the narrative ahead.

message 26: by Vicki (last edited May 15, 2018 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Hello, Apoorv, and welcome to our buddy read from Team Hermione Granger to Team Gilderoy Lockhart. :)

You threw me off when I came to this thread because I didn't realize anyone else was joining us. But the more the merrier.

I am ambivalent regarding Michael at this time, but I do like him overall. I just think he is (view spoiler)

I do think that Paul will (view spoiler)

Did you guys by any chance see I Can Only Imagine? That was a really good movie about a Christian band and their roots and how they made it. The way the lead singer handled things is(view spoiler)

message 27: by Apoorv (last edited May 15, 2018 11:30AM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Hey Vicki, sorry for randomly dropping by. But, my library had this book and it seemed interesting, plus BR points, so thought I will give it a shot.

Glad to have joined Team Hermione Granger (who also happens to have loads of people I have played previous Tower Teams with), and thank you initiating this discussion. Since you have read further on, please tell me that the book keeps getting better. :P :P

I have not seen I Can Only Imagine, but thank you for the recommendation. Maybe you could tell us, as you move along, if the book actually follows the same trajectory. Would be interesting to know! But, (view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments AHHH SPOILERS!!!!! >.<

message 29: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Morgan wrote: "AHHH SPOILERS!!!!! >.<"

Oops! Apologies, if it was me! :(
Added the tag in my last post just incase that was a hint to the proceedings, hopefully it did not ruin the story for you!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Apoorv wrote: "Morgan wrote: "AHHH SPOILERS!!!!! >.

Oops! Apologies, if it was me! :(
Added the tag in my last post just incase that was a hint to the proceedings, hopefully it did not ruin the story for you!"

LOL! It's okay. My book hasn't come in home delivery yet. I ordered it a few days ago and thought it would've been here by now. :(

So I'm (im)patiently waiting......

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Apoorv wrote: "Hey Vicki, sorry for randomly dropping by. But, my library had this book and it seemed interesting, plus BR points, so thought I will give it a shot.

Glad to have joined Team Hermione Granger (wh..."

That's a good/interesting point. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

No worries about stopping in. I just didn't know anyone was joining us. Glad to have you and your contributions.

I don't know if the book gets better because I've only read up to pg. 98 and I liked it so far. I just am not swept away by it. LOL

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments I don't think I'll be reading this one tonight because I got to bed so late last night (early this morning lol) and I read a whole book today so my eyes need a reading rest. LOL I'll pick it back up tomorrow unless I change my mind.

message 33: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments Sorry guys, Birthday celebrations kept me from getting further in my reading! i'll pick it back up again tomorrow :D

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments No worries, Trisha! As you can see, Morgan and I are also a wee bit behind. I actually got about half of our next read done yesterday but I just couldn't finish. I think I got to pg. 118 but I just didn't have it in me to read another word. LOL I'm going to try to finish up to pg. 150 today. If I post, you'll know I made it. If not, I'll do it tomorrow.

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments My book just came yesterday in home delivery, so I will try to start it tonight and finish at least the first 50 pages in an effort to catch up. Sorry guys!

message 36: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 30 comments I'm sorry guys, I think I'm out for this one

I'm just not liking it. And I have so little reading time these days that I don't want to spend it on a book I already know I don't like....

:< I hope you guys like it more than me!!!

message 37: by Vicki (last edited May 20, 2018 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments No worries, Trisha. I'm not too into it either. In fact, I haven't read anything in it for a few days but I've committed to reading it for this challenge. As long as I have a partner (Morgan & Apoorv, I think)) to finish the buddy read with I'll still get the points. I remembered that you and I (Trisha) had planned to buddy read this one quite a while back and I knew we both owned it, so thought we'd give it a shot. Sorry you didn't like it. Hoping it gets better for the rest of us!

message 38: by Vicki (last edited May 22, 2018 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments 3rd post: stop AT Part II (@ 150 pages)

I don't know how I feel about everything at this point. I think this section really sets up (view spoiler)

I loved it when (view spoiler)

Eliza (view spoiler)

Loring (view spoiler)

Save the Savior (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments 4th post: stop BEFORE January 14th, 2002 (@ 198 pages)

Just starting this but see that Part Two is titled Everything Is a Complete Disappointment, which is very telling or so it seems.

Oh no he didn't! (view spoiler)

I feel bad for (view spoiler)

I like that (view spoiler)

IT (view spoiler)

message 40: by Vicki (last edited May 22, 2018 06:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Forgot to mention that I don't like (view spoiler)

And Eliza calls Paul (view spoiler)

The fact that Eliza is willing to (view spoiler)

The funniest scene so far to me is when Paul and Eliza and Vera and Michael all were (view spoiler)

message 41: by Vicki (last edited May 23, 2018 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments 5th post: stop BEFORE chapter that starts "I convinced myself it was victory." (@ 251 pages)

Paul and Eliza (view spoiler)

The dinner (view spoiler)

A Thousand Ways (view spoiler)

I seriously can't believe that (view spoiler)

I have a feeling that (view spoiler) but I hope I am wrong. If I am right, I hope this book has (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments No time to post now...leaving for Yellowstone in a minute. But I'll finish posting when I have access to the Internet.

message 43: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Have fun at Yellowstone, Vicki!
I am jumping back on this, let's see how far I get along with a long day at work in sight! Ugh!

Hope your trip is super fun. Click loads of photos! :P

message 44: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Second Stop

Ugh! This book is bothering me more and more now. Especially the (view spoiler)

More so, the guarded and grounded Eliza, (view spoiler) and the playboy Paul (view spoiler) You cant just write stuff to randomly please the readers (if you think showing spectrum of a personality will make the audience believe in the characters).

Anyway, I loved the scene (view spoiler) Some salvageable moments for sure.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Finished

Not able to read spoilers on this tablet.

For me the book did get better.

It was so obvious that (view spoiler)

I was pretty sure (view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments 1st post: Stop BEFORE July 25 2000 (50 pages)

So far, this book has pleasantly surprised me. This isn't my usual genre of choice, so thank you Vicki for encouraging me to step outside of my comfort zone with this one.

Paul (view spoiler)

Eliza (view spoiler)

Michael (brother) (view spoiler)

Lucy (view spoiler)

Trisha, I LOVED those lines too! I especially liked the "Friend of Bill W." reference, because we've been friends for 4.5 years (it'll be 5 years in July!).

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments I’m really glad you’re enjoying it so far, Morgan. I can’t read your spoilers yet but I’ll try using my hotspot later today. Hope you continue to like it.

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Sooooo I got hit with a case of insomnia last night and got a bit ahead of our scheduled stop and check-in posts. LOL. Sorry!

Completion Post Stop #2: Stop AFTER September 18 2000 (@98 pages)

Eliza (view spoiler)

Paul (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Ugh I can’t read your spoilers till I get home on Friday! You still loving it?

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Completion Post Stop #3: post: Stop AT Part II (@ 150 pages)

(view spoiler)

I was taken off guard (view spoiler)

Eliza (view spoiler)

Paul (view spoiler)

Loring (view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

How to Kill a Rock Star (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tiffanie DeBartolo (other topics)