Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Need A Beta Reader? I'm Up For It.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon D. (last edited May 22, 2018 03:41AM) (new)

Sharon D. (tossacoin) | 24 comments I would like to help authors looking for feedback on their stories.
I have once before been someone's beta-reader (Mountain of the Dead, by Jeremy Bates), and I really quite enjoy doing it.

I mostly offer feedback, and I'll give some ideas, if I feel like something is missing in the story (but it's still up to you whether you want to add the ideas to the story).

I will post an honest review if you'd like on whatever websites you'd like.

I read a lot, but that doesn't mean I'll be able to finish your story in a day.
I will need some time, since I also have a job to manage.

I have preferred genres: fantasy, science fiction, and detective-like novels.
I also enjoy comedy and romance, but I will not read any erotica.
Any other genre will be fine as well.

If you need a beta reader, please consider me.
You can send your book over to howlingwolfbeta@gmail.com

Edit:
I can't promise I can get to reading your story right away, since right now I've got about 4 stories I need to read, so please have patience with me~!

message 2: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Sawyer | 75 comments Hi there! Do you do beta readings of individual chapters of books?

message 3: by Sharon D. (new)

Sharon D. (tossacoin) | 24 comments Hailey wrote: "Hi there! Do you do beta readings of individual chapters of books?"

I would be willing to do that, yes.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Connor I have four chapters of a superhero/fantasy novel would you be willing to read the beginning of it for me?

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Connor I have a prologue and five chapters written, though i would like to expand my chapters quite a bit

message 6: by Sharon D. (new)

Sharon D. (tossacoin) | 24 comments Alicia wrote: "I have four chapters of a superhero/fantasy novel would you be willing to read the beginning of it for me?"

I would definitely be willing to do that~!

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose | 22 comments I need a beta reader for a completed character driven coming of age fantasy novel. It is ~146000 words and there is sex in it although nothing explicit. If you are interested let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

message 8: by Sharon D. (last edited May 11, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Sharon D. (tossacoin) | 24 comments Rose wrote: "I need a beta reader for a completed character driven coming of age fantasy novel. It is ~146000 words and there is sex in it although nothing explicit. If you are interested let me know and I'll e..."

I'm definitely interested in it, but it might take me a while until I will be able to start reading it.
I currently have two other stories I have to read first, but I will probably finish them fairly soon~!

message 9: by Goodness (last edited May 11, 2018 03:14PM) (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments Hi Sharon!

I would love your feedback on the first 6,000 words of the vampire romance that I am writing.

message 10: by Sharon D. (new)

Sharon D. (tossacoin) | 24 comments Goodness wrote: "Hi Sharon!

I would love your feedback on the first 6,000 words of the vampire romance that I am writing."

I would love to give you some feedback on it~!
It might take a while, however, since I've also got 3 other works I need to read.

message 11: by Palle (new)

Palle | 41 comments Hi Sharon,
I have a complete dark fantasy novel of about 120k words I will like for you to take a look at.

message 12: by Sharon D. (new)

Sharon D. (tossacoin) | 24 comments P.E.K. wrote: "Hi Sharon,
I have a complete dark fantasy novel of about 120k words I will like for you to take a look at."

I can most definitely take a look at it for you.
But it might take me a while to do so, since I've got a few other works I have to review.
But I will definitely do it~!

message 13: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments Hi Sharon, are you comfortable with stories that have anime/manga themes? It's a YA Science Fiction manuscript complete at 76k

Seventeen-year-old Hiromi is determined to find a vaccine for the Konadai virus before more people turn into tentacle-tongued mutants. Armed with knowledge as a virology intern, she convinces her childhood friend Kenji into going to their island city’s ruins with her, hoping that his fire-magic abilities will keep them safe while she collects infected tissue samples.

Discovering their mutual friend is bitten but showing no signs of infection, Hiromi considers he’s immune and could be the miracle they need. Then, she realizes extracting the cure could cost their friend his life. Hiromi and Kenji struggle with the decision of sacrificing their friend to save thousands or surrendering a chance for a cure.

message 14: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Sawyer | 75 comments Sharon {asleep} wrote: "Hailey wrote: "Hi there! Do you do beta readings of individual chapters of books?"

I would be willing to do that, yes."

Okay. I'll send you more details about it in a PM.

message 15: by Amira (new)

Amira Awaad | 1 comments Hello Sharon,

I'm gonna drop this here. If you feel that this is something that you'd like to read, PM me and I will send you an epub or PDF

1. Book Title and Genre/Sub-Genre: Ren, The Asha Renu Series (Book 1): Adventure Romance with a twist of fantasy.

2. Number of Pages and Link to Goodreads or Amazon: 251 pages
https://www.amazon.com/Ren-Asha-Renu-...

3. Synopsis of book/book blurb.
When her father's diplomatic term at the UN came to an end, Nadiah Zahi had to go home - to Egypt. The problem was that Nadiah and Egypt, well they didn't speak the same language. She was a Big Apple - City girl.

Nadiah tries to plant some roots, so she journeys to Aswan where she meets a tour-guide, Ahmed, who's rich voice resonates with an allure that is too powerful for her to ignore. Little does she know who he really is and what his presence in her life would reveal about her own identity. Turns out "Egyptian" wasn't just a word scripted on her passport - not by a long shot.

What magic is it that dwells with the Pharaohs beneath the sands of Egypt? Her Ren, one of the five parts of her incomplete soul.

4. Formats available: Epub

Kind regards,
Amira Awaad

message 16: by Z.n. (new)

Z.n. Singer | 6 comments Hi Sharon

I've been working on my first fantasy novel for a while, but I'm desperately short people to read, react and discuss it with. It is a fantasy novel, more sword and sorcery than anything else, but with a lot of thought put into the underpinnings of many classic notions. Shapeshifters learn shapes by observation, Psychics are Attuned (usually to humans, but not always), and Vampires are addicts, broken by literal hunger for life.

This is something of an introductory novel to a series dealing with the inevitable war deciding the balance of power between human and vampire once and for all. It's a lot less dark and gritty than that makes it sound. Despite having both Vampires and zombies and even a form of Demons (mine are rather different), this is not a horror novel at all - what's a fantasy without something evil to defeat? Our protagonist is young, but the seeds are being planted. He is not the Chosen (no prophecies here) - but his choices will change everything. To quote his grandfather - 'No one man can save the world. But one man can inspire the world to save itself'.

In this chapter Lucan's small wilderness settlement is being assaulted by an alliance of three young Vampire Lords. They will need to survive until help arrives from Wedmor. Much character growth and exploration - not to mention fights! - on the way. Several characters will have great roles to play in the future, and one of the antagonists as well.

If all of that interests you, I'm using Google Docs these days - great tool for sharing and collaborating. I'll be happy to pass the links for a few chapters so you can decide for certain.

message 17: by D.C. (new)

D.C. Burton (dc_burton) | 6 comments I have a short fiction piece about 2.5k words title, "Beer is Food" that can be best excerpted as,

"What would you do if you knew today is the day you'd be murdered?"

As a warning, there is violence and swearing in that piece.

I also am 4 chapters (about ~10k words) into a Greek mythological fiction novella surrounding the apocalyptic end to the 6th age of mankind. This is a framed story with each chapter playing as a short story from a different gods POV.

If you are interested in either I'd be happy to send them over!

message 18: by Beth Wagner (new)

Beth Wagner | 10 comments I have a YA Fantasy novella (59,000 words approximately) . No sex, adventure, light violence.
It's called The Search for the Unicorns.

Excerpt:

".... I have a young ward around here whom I feel it best to take along with us. Carla!"

Carla came out from where she had been lurking at the corner of the house. Wissagebreht addressed her as though he did not know that she had been listening to almost every word that had been said over the past two days.

"Carla, we are going to seek the unicorns, You, I, the King, and the Chamberlain. Get yourself ready quickly."

"Yes sir!"

She was turning to go when Brehtand came forward. "Your Highness, where do you go?"

"Why, off into the Great Wild to seek the unicorns."

"And you go alone?"

"No, the Wizard, his ward, and the Chamberlain go with me."

"Milord, you must take a guard!"

"The Wizard has explained that only a small group may go to seek the unicorn, lest they take fright and not allow us near."

"Milord, the dangers of the Great Wild are too well known. Even adding a few more to the party will be a little safer, and probably not that much more frightening to the unicorns."

"Brehtand, I know you speak out of love for me, nevertheless I must say that this is my final word. No, you shall not go."

"Very well, your Highness." But it was clear that Brehtand was far from pleased.

There was a little more delay while they made preparations. Wissagebreht insisted that while it might be easy on their backs to allow the packhorse to carry everything, it was also the height of folly. "If we lose the horse, we lose everything. No, let us rather each carry a bit of food, a bit of clothing and so on, leaving most of it for the horse, but with us carrying enough that we will not be naked and starving without the horse."

The King scowled, but saw the wisdom of this. Carla, who had been used to doing as Wissagebreht bid without question, simply shrugged and set about making her pack as light as was feasible. She was wondering why the wizard was determined to take her along. It wasn't as though he had not gone away several times and left her to fend for herself for days, even weeks.

She thought to ask him, but with all the people around knew she would get no useful answer out of him. She shrugged. Well, once they were out in the Great Wild she would try to find a chance for the question.

After they had gotten packed up they left. Leaving the men-at-arms sitting and standing uncomfortably around Wissagebreht's hut.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 80 comments Hello Sharon,
I realize you have a lot of responses already, but I have a short horror/dark fantasy story that's about 3,130 words that I would love feedback on if you are still able to look over stories. If you're interested let me know :)