Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > July nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments Nominations for July are now open. July is a theme month. Please nominate a book written by a woman that was published before the 1800s. Please indicate if you are able to lead if your book is chosen. Nominations close on 19 May.

message 2: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 376 comments Just a query here- is this meant to be before 1800 or before 1900?

message 4: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 81 comments I would like to nominate Letters of a Peruvian Woman by Françoise de Graffigny, first published in 1747. I can lead.

message 5: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1241 comments Mod
Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Just a query here- is this meant to be before 1800 or before 1900?"

It was meant to be before 1800, but it is hard to find books that fit that category!

message 6: by Carol (last edited May 12, 2018 10:06AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 709 comments I nominate The Pillow Book by Sei Shōnagon, first published in 1002. I can lead.

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) Viv wrote: "I would like to nominate Letters of a Peruvian Woman by Françoise de Graffigny, first published in 1747. I can lead."

I studied this one in middle school years ago - I don't remember anything apart from the fact that I liked it!

message 8: by Vicky (last edited May 13, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Vicky D (readingwithmrsd) I’m really glad this category came up. I did a search on best 18th century books and it’s depressing how few women are on the lists. I know it was much harder for women to get published then and so few have been celebrated or remembered since. I know very little about books published before 1800 so have no nominations to offer (other than perhaps something, anything, by Fanny Burney or Ann Radcliffe) but would be very interested in joining in.

message 9: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1241 comments Mod
Vicky wrote: "I’m really glad this category came up. I did a search on best 18th century books and it’s depressing how few women are on the lists. I know it was much harder for women to get published then and so..."

You can nominate a book by Burney or Radcliffe, if you wish. I am surprised that no one has, so far.

message 10: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
The Castle of Wolfenbach: A German Story by Eliza Parsons (1793)

I can lead.

message 11: by Cam (new)

Cam | 116 comments I nominate The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pizan (1405). I can lead.

message 12: by Charlene (new)

A reminder that you have until May 19th to nominate a book for July's poll.

message 14: by Charlene (new)

There is a tie on July's poll! Voting ends tomorrow.

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Jun 02, 2018 06:01AM) (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments Hi all
July's poll ended in a tie. We have decided on having a run-off poll between The Castle of Wolfenbach: A German Story and Letters from a Peruvian Woman. This poll will end on Wednesday 6 June.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 16: by Charlene (last edited Jun 05, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Vicky wrote: "I’m really glad this category came up. I did a search on best 18th century books and it’s depressing how few women are on the lists. I know it was much harder for women to get published then and so..."

For those interested in more authors publishing before 1800, I came across Regina Maria Roche, Margaret Cavendish, Georgiana Cavendish; Elizabeth Inchbald; Phillis Wheatley and Eleanor Sleath;

message 17: by Mizzou (last edited Jun 06, 2018 03:47PM) (new)

Mizzou | 177 comments Besides the books Cam and Viv nominated , there are more pre-1800 works by female authors named in Prof. Lance Donaldson-Evans' book, One Hundred Great French Books: From the Middle Ages to the Present:
Hélisenne de Crenne (Marguerite Brier?), Les Angoysses douloureuses qui precedent d'amours (1558);
Marguerite de Navarre, L'Heptaméron (1559);
Marie de Rabutin-Chantal, Marquise de Sévigné, The Letters of Madame de Sévigné; et
Marie-Madeleine Pioche de La Vergne de La Fayette, La Princesse de Cléves (1678).
All are available in translations into English.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments And the July group read will be The Castle of Wolfenbach: A German Story