Play Book Tag discussion

The Dressmaker
This topic is about The Dressmaker
May 2018: Family Drama > The Dressmaker by Beryl Bainbridge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7456 comments Liverpool 1944, Rita, who lives with her aunts, Nellie and Margo but also sees her father, Jack, is 17 and ready for love, although perhaps not brilliant about how to pursue her budding relationship with her new suitor. Her maiden aunt, Nellie, and her widowed aunt, Margo, have very different opinions and ideas about this new relationship, and it is fair to say that Nellie, the dressmaker, is not quite mentally sound. One can see that immediately in her passionate attachment to her late parents' furniture.

This is an interesting book, to say the least, and not something that follows a strictly predictable line, and it is quite well written. No, I didn't love it, but there is a time when I would have liked it a great deal more but I seem to be much choosier now than I used to be. Beryl Bainbridge is definitely an author I think people ought to read at least one book by.

PBT NOTE This absolutely fits under my definition of family drama as the majority of the book focuses on family conflict etc.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments From your review and the description online, it sounds like it has a bit of a more modern Pride and Prejudice feel to it....

Karin | 7456 comments Nicole R wrote: "From your review and the description online, it sounds like it has a bit of a more modern Pride and Prejudice feel to it...."

Wow, and yet it's TOTALLY different! I'd be interested to see what you think if you ever read this, though.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Wow, and yet it's TOTALLY different! I'd be interested to see what you think if you ever read this, though. ..."

Ha! Just goes to show that book blurbs can easily be misinterpreted.

Karin | 7456 comments Nicole R wrote: "Wow, and yet it's TOTALLY different! I'd be interested to see what you think if you ever read this, though. ..."

Ha! Just goes to show that book blurbs can easily be misinterpreted."

Exactly. Pride and Prejudice is much lighter, albeit somewhat pithy at times, fare.